New elk rifle 340 Weatherby

The sled does not allow recoil. That puts great pressures on rifle and scope. That rifle has pretty good recoil also. I have heard on here more than one scope damaged.

Well been shooting the new 340 for last 2 days. 100 yds with the spier points were usually under 1". Then it struck....opened way the hell up. Checked action screws, back one was loose. I am thinking about lock tite, red or blue ? Anyway shooting nice 6-8" groups at 200 now. Think I may know why previous owner sold it. This is off a led sled too. Too bad gun fits me great. Any suggestions ????
Blue ,red if you never want remove the screw

Why not use a lead sled, just curious. I will try without it. Can the lead slead throw off the shots ??
Yes is the short answer.

I've used one, still own it somewhere.
Generally, using a good front bag/rest and a solid rear bag is better. If the recoil is too much then have a brake installed or change to a smaller cartridge.

I've been working with a Mk V 340 Weatherby. Started out with a couple different 250 grn bullets and grouped at best 6 inches at 250 yds. Tried other bullets with the same results...the 210 Nosler Partition showed some hope with a 3 inch group. This is all after rechecking screws and bedding. Was wondering if this rifle would shoot like hoped for.

This evening I tested the 260 Hammer Hunter with IMR 4350 loaded to max mag length. Shot several groups at 250 yds, the largest group being 1 7/8" the smallest 1 1/2".

Very happy with the results and with the help I received while ordering the Hammer bullets.

Took the Weatherby to the rangemixed results. 6" group at 200. Not ising leadsled, locktited and tightened to recomended specs. Going to have to do some more shooting tomorrow. Wish i would have gotten sooner but be as it may. Try again tomorrow.

i had my gunsmith go to work on my 340 mark V for a alaska hunt in 2012. After an exhausting bunch of work the results were as follows:
2# trigger
bedded thumbholestock with a small pressure point under barrel
bedded the bases to help handle recoil
norma brass
91g 7828 ssc powder
250g barnes solid copper(not tipped)
gun shoots sub moa@100 and 200.
i hope this helps your process...

I figure i might have to put away untill next year and ise my 7mag. Browning hells canyon speed, shoots 1 inch at 200 yds with barnes 150 gr ttsx
I teally wanted to hammer one with the 340

gotcha..
Fyi
I forgot to mention a big part of the accuracy equation was seating the bullet to where it just touches the lands.

On a WBY you are never supposed to seat the bullet to the lands, this is a BIG no no. And one reason the throats on a WBY rifle are so long, unless you load them one at a time into the chamber a bullet seated out far enough to touch the lands will not fit in the mag. My 300 chamber measures 4.5" the 340 is pretty close to that. If I recall correctly WBY suggest at least .05" off the lands with the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.