New elk rifle 340 Weatherby

Killed several elk with a 340 and 300 wby with partition and accubonds, they seem to work equally well just depends on which one your gun shoots better. I shoot a lot and got tired of the punishment so I shoot a 260 and 280rem nowadays. My brother still has his 340, but we built him a 280 last year also. It only took him watching 10 or so elk drop in there tracks with the smaller rounds before he started questioning the need for the larger cal. After saying all that the 340 is a beast, try some Accubond Long Range bullets in it for better BC and you can kill one as far as you can shoot.

I agree rarely do you need the 340s type power, but when the animals are large, the distance far, wind howling and the conditions poor a 250+ grain bullet that bucks wind and carries a punch is good insurance--if you can shoot it accurate.

The 250grn Elite Hunter has been a great bullet for me. The 340 Wby has to be me all time favorite cartridge. Elk hammer, your should be able to approach 3000 FPS. Have killed two Elk with this combo, as always there is no magic bullet placement is key.

Last edited:
HI,i use a 340 weatherby for a good 25 years and shoot a lot of bullets and my choice
stop with the Barnes ttsx 225 grs thats really a big hammer on moose.

Congrats!

The 340 is my caliber of choice for everything. I had Dallas Lane build one for me 3 years ago and have pretty much stopped hunting with anything else, even for the little stuff. Before this custom, I used a Mark V Deluxe my wife gave me years ago. Don't know how many head the 340 has taken for me. My pet load is a 225 TTSX at 2975. I have only recovered one bullet in all these years.

I wonder how that t TSX would hold up on close range shots I know it'll hold up but I wonder if it will expand

Valley,

To respond, most of my shots have been under 50 yards in the last few years. The TTSX performed perfectly, small hole going in, big hole going out, without too much meat damage. Longest shot with the TTSX was at 520, same results. So I can say that up to 520, I would have complete confidence in the TTSX performance.

I think you have made an excellent choice in Calibre -- my 340 has accounted herself well (11 of my 13 Elk & a number of Moose + my 750 metre 1 shot antelope {chose that heavy of Calibre due to distances & heavy winds}) -- I recommend 210 TTSX - if your particular rifle likes Barnes - Mine does -- as I had to pick a different projectile as no more access to HT Bullets...
She is my go to Elk Rifle & I load 88.3 grains of Norma MRP2 in once fired Weatherby Cases Rem.9 1/2 Primers --- I get consistent 3290 fps. But as I have a Remington 700 with Custom 26" Tube - no Freebore - but a Gain Twist -- when I'm doing my job 0.75 - 1.25" 5 shot groups @ 300 Metres -- Prone w/Harris BiPod -- so having used on Elk since 94 -- & steel all day long @ 830 yds -- not only am I confident at it doing the job, if I do my part, but nothing has not succumbed !!
Good luck & Enjoy the punch in the shoulder - it will be barely noticed when you shake hands with Mr. Elk
LRB

Well been shooting the new 340 for last 2 days. 100 yds with the spier points were usually under 1". Then it struck....opened way the hell up. Checked action screws, back one was loose. I am thinking about lock tite, red or blue ? Anyway shooting nice 6-8" groups at 200 now. Think I may know why previous owner sold it. This is off a led sled too. Too bad gun fits me great. Any suggestions ????

Well been shooting the new 340 for last 2 days. 100 yds with the spier points were usually under 1". Then it struck....opened way the hell up. Checked action screws, back one was loose. I am thinking about lock tite, red or blue ? Anyway shooting nice 6-8" groups at 200 now. Think I may know why previous owner sold it. This is off a led sled too. Too bad gun fits me great. Any suggestions ????
Suggestions?

1. Don't use the Lead Sled.
2. Torque the action screws using the proper tool and in the proper sequence.
(See second FAQ: http://www.weatherby.com/support/faqs.html)
3. Check scope rings, bases, etc to be sure they didn't get loose.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.