New rifle for colorado elk 2013

In2thinair

Need advice on a new caliber for DIY backcountry elk this fall. I have a sako .308 but ammo is too scarce for practicing. Any thoughts on which caliber would be a good alternative? And no I don't handload.

308 is very common and that is why everyone is buying it up faster then the store can stock it. My question was which OTHER caliber would be a good second choice if I can't find enough 308 to get in a lot of practice.

So what are you suggesting then? It sounds like you want to find an off the wall caliber that nobody else uses. If that's the case and you don't reload, I fail to see how you will find a lot of those cartridges either. The fact that you don't reload isn't helping things even though a lot of components are in short supply now too. I'd still rather have your .308 and be looking for them than a weird caliber that you're even less likely to find on the shelf.

Certainly not looking for an off the wall caliber. I was trying to decide if getting a 30-06 or a 300 win mag would make sense. I am asking though because they are fairly similar and was wondering if it was worth going bigger and perhaps 7mm.

There's plenty of excellent rifle choices out there and any excuse to buy a new one works for me. I certainly wouldn't base a decision on current ammo availability, perhaps a reloading setup would be in order instead of a new rifle????

There's plenty of excellent rifle choices out there and any excuse to buy a new one works for me. I certainly wouldn't base a decision on current ammo availability, perhaps a reloading setup would be in order instead of a new rifle????

Agreed.
You can start reloading for less than the price of a new rifle.

Regular .308 ammo is all sold out eveywhere around where I live. I did see that Cabelas has .308 bullets in stock. Never reloaded before.
First time attempting to post anything in a forum. Guess I was not asking my question very well.
Just wanted to know if it was worth getting a 30-06 because that ammo is in stock at my local gunstores. Or maybe to get a rifle that is not so similar to the .308. Perhaps a 300 win mag or 338.
Thought by posting on the Elk Hunting thread I might get some advice in that regard.
Reloading might be an option in the future but dont think I can learn that new skill to a good enough level to be in time for the fall.

Need advice on a new caliber for DIY backcountry elk this fall. I have a sako .308 but ammo is too scarce for practicing. Any thoughts on which caliber would be a good alternative? And no I don't handload.

The 300 WM is a very good elk rifle and would be my choice today. As far as ammunition for either the 308 or the 300 good luck. If you like to shoot a lot then reloading would be a smart step to take. Components are getting harder to find but there is always a pound of powder here and a box of bullets there.

Anyway good luck!

The 300 WM is a very good elk rifle and would be my choice today. As far as ammunition for either the 308 or the 300 good luck. If you like to shoot a lot then reloading would be a smart step to take. Components are getting harder to find but there is always a pound of powder here and a box of bullets there.

Anyway good luck!

Good advice here. I agree.

Jeff

If you are only doing it because of the ammo available, then no, it's not worth it. Spend $10 on shipping for the .308 ammo instead of $800 for a gun and scope. If you are looking at getting a different gun for another reason, then by all means, do it! Can never have too many! :D

If I were you and looking between the 30-06 and .300 WM, I would go with the 300. It will give you something that is different from the .308 you already have, whereas the 30-06 is going to be somewhat similar when it comes to velocity, bullet drop, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.