New rifle for colorado elk 2013

8 Snake--- For him to say a bonded bullet wouldn't have given any better penetration than the one he used and then to say a .308 doesn't have the power to humanely kill elk, when it is certainly enough for at least medium range shots (200+/-) it's obvious the gentleman needs some homework on ballistics and bullet design.

My vote goes to a model 70 extreme weather 270 WSM. About 8 pounds with scope if you dont go to big on the scope. I love the caliber, had a tikka t3 SS 270 wsm that was lighter but not as well made as the new winchesters. Winchester Supreme 140 accubond is a good place to start for an all around load. It's a good backpacking / hiking gun that's just heavy enough to be steady for longer range work. Mine holds an inch or just under with 140 accubonds. At 3200ish feet per second they are flat shooting but will not beat you up at the range like a fast 30 will. Maybe a tad more than a 308 but not much.

Although I agree with everyone about reloading. I do understand your frustration finding ammo. I really like the .300 weatherby mag. In my area enough people have them for the gun shops and places like dicks and walmart to stock them but not enough people have them for the shelves to be empty. Also another option is to call your local walmart or whatever and ask them when they get their ammo shipments in and be there that day because it doesn't stay on the shelf long. good luck and great hunting!

killed my first elk with a 7mm @240 yards, big animals can suck up a lot, 3 160 grain nosler part. and he was done. bought a 300 win mag for next hunt. I have weartherby mag and I do not recommend them mainly for cost of ammo, even if you reload the brass is expensive. a 300 win mag or 300wsm would be my first choices, anything larger and they are not much fun to shoot. I am not recoil sensitive, you do not notice when hunting but sighting in is a different story. every gun I own had to try numerous weights and brands to get tightest groups. your 308 will do fine, go with a heavier bullet and limit your shots to 250 or less. hunting Colorado with friends for deer and elk most were shot at 200 yards or less. doubt if you are going to shoot like on Best of the WEST. good luck, you will be hooked after your first trip. wait till after to decide if you want or need another gun, of course I tell my wife a man can not have to many guns.

I believe you have received good advice on what is good for hunting elk.

As far as reloading is concerned, it is worth it to learn. But now is the WORST possible time for someone to start. Some components are really hard to find for those that have experience looking and knowing what to buy on short notice. I can't imagine the frustration someone would have in trying to start reloading now.

Maybe some of you guys have access to special Cabela's catalogues, but there wasn't much in the way of 'common' 308 when I just looked, where as for much of the 'elk' calibres there was aplenty. The OP's original premise was right.

If you go the route of buying another rifle, choose your ammo carefully and buy a lot, even if the cost hurts. Factor this into your budget before buying a rifle. You will want a single make of brass if and when you start reloading. Also, during these uncertain times of ammo purchases, you might never be able to find the same ammo again after you used up your stores practicing. That would suck. All that dope you collected would be for not.

Good luck on whatever you decide and enjoy your hunt.

Where in Colorado are you going hunting, there are wooded areas where you stalk (short yardage 200-300), there plateaus where you glass opposite hills longer yardage(300-600) Shorter yardage 308 is great, 270, 30-06 work great as well., Longer yardage 300 to 600 7mm 300 any of the rums 30-06 to 500 reliably. I use a 7mm with 150 grain ttsx at 3000fps fairly flat shooting out to 500 little more drop out to 600. I prefer BDC scopes. For 600 to 1000 338 edge with 300gr bergers

One could argue Caliber size and ethnic shots all day. What it all boils down too is the shooter doing his part & a decent bullet that will put the animal down quickly. I myself have near 30 Elk kills. Throughout these kills I have used .270 win, 7stw, 7mm rem, 300 rum. I will say that my longest shots & cleanest kills have come from my 7mm rem shooting jlk 180 bullets & Berger 180's. The Rum obviously has more energy but I had some bad experiences with shooting lighter bullets "180" @ 3400+ fps. This would probably work better shooting a 210 or larger in the 3,000 fps range. My 270 killed many Elk with a 130 factory load when I was younger & didn't reload. This was a bit light for an Elk with Factory ammo. The 7 stw 160 Barnes was a 1 shot killer. The 7mm has been the most accurate & consistent of the bunch. I have 2 kills over 900 yds with the 7 and clean kills. I have a buddy who killed a 337" bull @ 1115 yds shooting a 6x284 with a Berger 105 vld. It all boils down too a good bullet and the shooter doing his part regardless of size of caliber. I have seen hunters blow the legs off animals from 100 yes with 300 wins and have an all day goose chase.... My .02
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.