new coues gun

matty ny

I'm in the market for a new coues gun. I'm thinking shooting out to 600max. Looking at the 6.5 creedmore. What are the pros and cons or would the 260 be better. Thanks

I'm in the market for a new coues gun. I'm thinking shooting out to 600max. Looking at the 6.5 creedmore. What are the pros and cons or would the 260 be better. Thanks
They are pretty much ballistic twins. The advantage of the CM is more choices for factory ammo.

The advantage of the .260 is a few more FPS.

If you plan to handload it doesn't much matter.

The 6.5 Swede is also right in there with them.

Personally I went with the .260 and I'm quite happy with all three rifles I have chambered in it.

Like Rose said, factory for factory, they're very similar, but a few more FPS for the .260 Rem. Personally, I prefer the .260 Rem over the 6.5 Creed.

If you're planning on building a rifle, and you handload, I'd go .260 AI...It's still the kind of the short action non-magnum 6.5's...

Here is a good article comparing the 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem and 6.5 x 47:

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

IMO a much better Coues rifle would be a 257 Weatherby shooting 115 VLDs. Four of friends and I have built rifles chambered for this round. We have taken 18 coues wt to date. It is very flat shooting with low drift. While recoil is more than either of the 6.5s you are considering it isn't bad at all.

I really like the 6.5's and you won't go wrong with either choice. I use a 6.5-06 for coues and really like it. If I were you I would go with the 260. It is more established,has a Little more capacity, and quality brass is available.

6.5X47. Only reason I say this is because I have one and love it! It and the 260 and Creed are all so close it makes no difference. For good brass choose the X47 or 260 as Lapua makes brass for these. A 130 berger right around 3000 fps is a good thing. Shoot my X47 out to 900 yards with great consistency. All this with only 42.2 gr of H4350.

Any 6.5 slinging a 140 at 2750 or up will do more than most people will imagine. Any of the 6.5s out there has unique advantages and personality. They all work like a charm. Any difference between all of them will be very slight and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.