New Bushnell Elite® 4200 Tactical scope

We got 3 in on Tuesday and I have one left. All I did was take it out of the box and look @ it but it looks good!! Glass was clear and clicks felt nice.

[ QUOTE ]
We got 3 in on Tuesday and I have one left. All I did was take it out of the box and look @ it but it looks good!! Glass was clear and clicks felt nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill
What focal plane is it? First or second? If it's second then at what power do we have to put it to range?
Next how much$$ and will you ship to Canada?

It is second. I think "12" was in red. That would be my guess for ranging. Makes sense, that way when you put it on 24x, the dots are .5 mil apart.

Email me and we'll talk about the price and shipping.

I have one and it looks great. Been so windy I have not shot it yet, but will real soon as it is ready to mount. Will give some details shortly. That's correct, you mil-range on 12 but who in heck does that - really. Second plain reticle - why would you want first plain (again, who actually uses mildots in the field for ranging during a hunt, who knows actual dimensions of a particular critter - that is what lasers are for in my warped opinion).

Myself I love the mildot to learn ranging and the use of holdover and under. It's fun and a challenge. Sure lazers are quicker but no challenge. I may get one in the future but for now it's going to wait a good while. Right now with my custom set-up I know my holdovers as far as 700 yrds by heart and that's so cool and fast. I know the sizes of my prey pretty well by heart so that makes things even quicker. And on and on and on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Man I love training with this new method.

I use the mil dot system for ranging, and within, say, 700 yards, it has been extremely reliable (wish I can say that about laser range finders). The great thing about the bushnell 6-24 that mils at 12 x, is that if you crank it to 24 x, each mil represents .5 mil, and getting an very accurate mil reading is much easier (given you know the brisket to back measurement of the game).

Not so warped opinion!

Tried the mil dot ranging thing and and each time I compared w/LRF I would have clearly missed.

Also, the last time I put the sneak on one to measure the "depth of chest" about the time I got the tape stretched out the dang thing kicked me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My challenge is making the first and only shot, spot on.....

[ QUOTE ]
Tried the mil dot ranging thing and and each time I compared w/LRF I would have clearly missed.

Also, the last time I put the sneak on one to measure the "depth of chest" about the time I got the tape stretched out the dang thing kicked me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a lack of training with the mildot does not make the mildot ranging inneffective..it is evident the challenge here is the one trying to do the miling without proper practice, knowledge and training, as with all things long range.

I take this very seriously, and my experience comes from lots of practice and in-field verification. In terms of measuring the "depth of chest", I have personally measured many downed animals and have developed reliable, average measurements that have been very effective with my mil dot use in the areas I hunt. These have been primarily for mule deer and antelope, which is where I use the mildot predominantly, because the open prairies and ever-present mirage handicap most rangefinders I have used under these conditions.

Although I am tempted to provide these "depth of chest" averages, I feel I must resist because others would inevitably and ineffectively proceed to "Tried the mil dot ranging thing" without the mandatory practice and experience in using the system.

Yep
as I mentioned earlier like yourself practice like in anything and once you've got it YEAAAA. Out of the last 17 years of hunting I've only had the Mildot the last two years. Now I just can't have anything else. I've got to get a new scope now for a new rig I want to get and it's got to have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've got to get a new scope now for a new rig I want to get and it's got to have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you a serious about mildot ranging on game, the Leupold TMR and NF MLR or NP R2 reticles are a much more accurate system than the standard mildot, IMO.

Depopulator,
I agree, you have to understand the basics and how to make mildots work. I was fortunate to have been taught by two of the very best instructors in the tactical field - got a sound understanding re field use of mildots for ranging. Ran me through a tactical course as the only student! Spent the whole first day+ in the classroom and on my belly ranging things, never fired a shot.

Having said that I will take and trust a laser anyday. I recently hunted with two Vectors on a Texas Nilgai hunt, regardless of sun conditions or distance we never failed to read a distance. Too bad everyone couldn't experience the performance of those puppies.

As for holdovers - like you I prefer the NPR-1 or 2. Main reason for me is because they work in minutes. Close enough to inches for my brain, just can't relate to 3.6" like the tactical pros. Have some fine scopes with mils in the reticles and turrets, have been told it is the way to go but... The dots offer drop holdoffs if we determine field trajectories - whatever works, works. I like the Mildot Master a lot, beats hell out of 27.77 etc.

In fact I have the mildot info in my stock pack of the ROCK that I hunt with a lot, but have only used it once to make a kill - 525 yard caribou in the arctic.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got to get a new scope now for a new rig I want to get and it's got to have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you a serious about mildot ranging on game, the Leupold TMR and NF MLR or NP R2 reticles are a much more accurate system than the standard mildot, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had the money I'd get the IOR 3-18x42 or the 6-24x50 with it's MP8 reticle. I already have the 3-18 and love it. $$$$. Unless I just wait and save, but don't know if I can or want to spend that much on my future .223??

[ QUOTE ]

Having said that I will take and trust a laser anyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian,

I have had terrible luck with lasers in the open prairie, largely due to a lack of reflective features and the mirage, which is the reason I have learned to mil game.

Vector you say ? Hmmm....Tnx

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.