New build what's your good and bad thoughts?

Neff991

I'm putting together a LR10 and want to get it to be more on the long range precision side than just a good rifle to go have fun shooting. Here's a list of everything I have so far and also looking for some opinions on triggers. I started with DPMS stripped lower and uppers, Aero precision bcg, Troy hand guards, Magpul fully adjustable rifle stock, the upper is out to Krieger getting a 22" barrel in .308 as well as my American precision big bastard muzzle first gen muzzle break as well as their gas block. I will also be getting an Atlas bi pod and either another NF or try out a Vortex for the glass on her. I'd like to try my luck out to 1000 yards if I can make it lol. So I'd love to hear your opinions on what I've got going so far as well as the actual experience on the triggers you have used. Thanks everyone I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Thanks for that link for the trigger review, looks like a good read. I don't think I'll be actually competing just shooting on my own range. I would like to reload for it though and will need to figure out what I'll use to catch the brass though. I am very lucky to have my own range where I can get 1000 yards but that also depends on the crop that's planted in the fields lol. I can always get 650 yards though.

I have two of the Geissele two stage High Speed National Match triggers adjusted to around the 1lb 9oz minimum and absolutely love them.

I have two of the Geissele two stage High Speed National Match triggers adjusted to around the 1lb 9oz minimum and absolutely love them.

I have heard many many good things about Geissele, I'm guessing that are the triggers to have for the AR style rifles. It is also really nice to be able to adjust the pull down that low. If you don't mind me asking where in Kansas are you? I was stationed out there for 6 years almost, I loved it out there at Ft. Riley. I almost stayed out there after my discharge.

I forgot to say the twist was recommend by Krieger to me for a 1 in 10. I'm hoping this will get me close to my goal at hitting 1000 yards with the right load and bullets.

Geissele triggers really are where it is at for ar pattern rifles. Though the Larue MBT in the obr I just picked up could give it a run for its money. With a 22" barrel you are really heading toward the precision side of things, in my opinion maybe to a detriment. The beauty and usefulness of this type of rifle is that it can be quick getting double taps on torso sized targets in close and a moment later pull a bipod down crank on your scope knobs and thread a needle. Really not trying to tell you how to spend your money, I just think you might be pigeon holing a very versatile platform. Scope selection will do the same. A 2.5-10 or 3-12 power scope can really open up what is possible in the 25-900 yard range where a 5.5-22 or something like that pushes the short range out farther and really doesn't get you more range because 308 is running out of steam that far out anyway. Old eyes or exceptional shooters make different stuff work though.

Geissele triggers really are where it is at for ar pattern rifles. Though the Larue MBT in the obr I just picked up could give it a run for its money. With a 22" barrel you are really heading toward the precision side of things, in my opinion maybe to a detriment. The beauty and usefulness of this type of rifle is that it can be quick getting double taps on torso sized targets in close and a moment later pull a bipod down crank on your scope knobs and thread a needle. Really not trying to tell you how to spend your money, I just think you might be pigeon holing a very versatile platform. Scope selection will do the same. A 2.5-10 or 3-12 power scope can really open up what is possible in the 25-900 yard range where a 5.5-22 or something like that pushes the short range out farther and really doesn't get you more range because 308 is running out of steam that far out anyway. Old eyes or exceptional shooters make different stuff work though.

I know all about this type of rifle, I used it almost everyday for 13 months in Iraq. I was purposely trying to keep it on the precision side. This would be the first precision style AR I've had. I have an AR15 as well with an eotech on it that I love. I've taken that to 400 yards with no magnification. It never seems to have any issues hitting a
12" steal gong. I don't think I have heard much of the trigger you said you were using but everyone seems to really recommend the Geissele and I'll probably pick one of those up.

I'm totally a fan of longer barrels to get free velocity. A 308 needs all the help it can. So 26 inch is good compromise. I load for this https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-xcr-tactical

I use TAC and CFE 223 for powders. I have an AR with a 3 pound timney. I'm not a fan of two stage triggers. I also have a straight CMC trigger 3.5 pounds

I would not recommend a Jard trigger. Even using red loctite on the allen adjustment screws i have been at the range and suffered from double tap and no trigger reset. Where the hammer doesn't catch in the down position. It left me stranded and fiddle with the allens to get it to work again. Timney and my other straight trigger has never let me down.

http://www.tacticallink.com/CMC-Mat...5-and-AR10-Rifles-Flat-Trigger-Bow-91503.html

Bartlein makes a mean barrel.
MAgpul PRS is a great stock. full adjustable as well.

Geissele SSA-E is my Go to trigger prefect for hunting or target shooting.
Not too heavy, not too light. Reset is only 1.5 lbs.

JP matched set barrel and bolt are also a great set up.

Thanks
RLTW
Steve

I'm totally a fan of longer barrels to get free velocity. A 308 needs all the help it can. So 26 inch is good compromise. I load for this https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-xcr-tactical

I use TAC and CFE 223 for powders. I have an AR with a 3 pound timney. I'm not a fan of two stage triggers. I also have a straight CMC trigger 3.5 pounds

I would not recommend a Jard trigger. Even using red loctite on the allen adjustment screws i have been at the range and suffered from double tap and no trigger reset. Where the hammer doesn't catch in the down position. It left me stranded and fiddle with the allens to get it to work again. Timney and my other straight trigger has never let me down.

CMC Trigger 91503 - CMC Match Grade Single-Stage Trigger for AR15 & AR10 Rifles, 3.5 lb Trigger Weight, Flat Trigger Bow | Tactical Link

I can't wait to get my upper back from Krieger and finally be able to shoot it. I think I'm gonna borrow my Night Force from my bolt gun just to get a few round down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.