New Build w/16" barrel...?

Short barrels I'd go with something like a .358win or .338 Federal for that short of a barrel. The big fat bore and smallish case will work very well together with faster rifle powders. Recoil will be pronounced on such a small and light rifle but that probably won't matter the minute you use it on something that bleeds. Slim chance you'll notice the recoil at all. At the sighting range though, bring an Outers shoulder pad.
I can attest to the last statement. I've got a 338F for sale. A box through it was enough for me!

I was searching for this exact rifle. Ended up with an ar10. It weighs the same or less than most bolt guns. Breaks down to a very small package. Built it for under $1000 and its surprisingly accurate.

That is an awesome looking rig. I want one!
Yeah, I wonder why more don't have it on this forum, its an awesome hunting and backpack long rifle. From .223 to .338. I trained some sof guys using it and they don't have a clue why were still using standard rifles

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, have a 16.5 barrel 6.5x284 that shoots 140 at 2950,120 at 3100,100 at 3300, and 85 at 3350. It is very loud, but groups .250.

Looking to build a highly portable bolt action rig with folding stock and 16" barrel for pack in - pack out wilderness hunting and survival.

Given the constraint of a 16" barrel, which factory cartridge will produce the longest range possible, and with enough terminal energy for medium game?
.300 BLK. A ~100 grain bullet will have enough MV and BC to get the job done on medium sized game at any reasonable range from such a short BBL! Do not listen to those who would sell you bigger heavier and faster, we have been taking medium sized game with less than 100 grain bullets for more than a century from less than .243" caliber rifles! Save weight in the pack, buy a used Remington XP-100 with a Variable power scope and learn to shoot a pistol accurately to more than 200 yards. It will Mass less and be smaller than any rifle with a folding stock and 16" BBL.
But most of all, It will be very much more satisfying than using any rifle!

Well I wanted to build a cheap, light, 300 to 500 yard rifle, just haven't done it yet. Here is what it's gonna be...
Remington 783 Heavy barrel threaded, they make em in 308 and 6.5 cm. 16.5 inch.
MDT Lss chassis, Chuck that cheap plastic.
Everybody's got an A2 grip in a drawer somewhere, or that they have been practicing stippling on ;).
XLR Tac or Tac Lite stock.
20 moa rail just for kicks.
MDT Gen ? Folder. ( what gen are their folders up to now o_O)the reason I picked that one is I believe the newest iteration locks folded and extended.
Primary Arms ffp 4-14x44 what ever reticle floats your boat.
Some MDT five or ten round mags, a bunch of hornady ph or whitetail, practice, shake it out, ready to kill by October.
Oops, forgot the bi-pod, Caldwell if sticking to the cheap, Harris mid, Atlas the best. Good luck on your rifle search, and on your hunt. CWF

Hey man have you looked at desert tech?

This has a 22' barrel and APA fat bastard and is shorter than a standard action by 9". Shoots .mil work Ammo just fine too.
Question; how repeatable is the scope lock-on since it attaches to the receiver and not the barrel? Does the zero change much?

Buy a Tikka in any of the short mags and cut the barrel to 16" and add a brake. You'd end up with a very light rifle that would perform very well. A 16" WSM will give velocities similar to a 24" barreled gun chambered for the same caliber off of a 308 case (16" 300 WSM = 24" 308).

Using a Tikka would give you the advantage of being able to load the bullets a little farther out as well.

Question; how repeatable is the scope lock-on since it attaches to the receiver and not the barrel? Does the zero change much?

Scope as all scopes attach to the rail. So maybe youre more asking how accurate is it when you have to attach the barrel if you pull it out for shipping or long hikes in your pack?!? The scope stays on the receiver, just the barrel can be changed out for bigger calibers or if you want it super small in your case or where ever. All rifle barrels are torqued in to a receiver in some fashion.

DT says there's no change. Thus far in my testing there has been no change. If there is i will complain like a high school girl to DT!!! The rifle lives in my case like in the pic and I've taken it to the range 3 times. Now I will say, that I'm looking for something like a M204 bore brush. Simply because the receiver that you put the barrel in and torque it to is too deep to swab out with hands or twisting a rag too well so if i were out hunting with the rifle disassembled and fell in some sandy muddy water and the dirt/sand dried in the receiver and you went to place and torque the barrel in the receiver with the sand not only do i think you'd ruin the $3600 receiver but it i really doubt would be shooting at your clean zero.... but when the rifle packs so small its a bit silly to have it exposed to the elements in an in assembled state as well if i was rucking it unassembled id for sure have it in some thick water tight bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a short barreled gun (16"), I'd go with the .308 Win. It'll still handle everything in the lower 48 at medium ranges.

If you have a REM 700 barreled action in .308 Win, you could use this stock:
Magpul® Pro 700L - Folding Stock ($999.99)
https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-pro-700l-folding-stock?ProductColor=VO343

Another REM 700 folding stock option for about $1100:
HS Precision® Adjustable Folding Thumbhole
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...e-folding-thumbhole-700-bdl-short-action.html

Another 'thought' is just getting a Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) in .308Win.
https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html
You could have the barrel cut down to 16" and the stock already comes able to 'fold', per this from the Ruger website (https://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html):
"Ruger Precision® MSR stock with QD sling attachment points features a bottom Picatinny rail and soft rubber buttpad. The left-folding stock hinge is attached to an AR-style buffer tube and accepts any AR-style stock. Length of pull and comb height are adjustable."

I have both of what you describe - Remington 700 5R 20" M24 barrel in a Magpul Pro 700 stock and my son has the RPR, both .308 and folding stocks. All-in (rifle, stock, trigger and Badger Ord. 20moa rail) I have over $2700 in the Remington, excluding glass. The RPR, while longer is about the same weight (+/- 10lbs) is all-in (20moa rail built into the receiver) at around $1200 for desert tan model. The Ruger, out of the box w/FGMM 168 gr SMKs shoots .3 MOA , just like my Remington. Ruger has really hit paydirt with the RPR.

I would add that I traded out of a 16" Steyr PIV (no folding stock) that was awfully handy.

Last edited:
.308 WIN, sub 150gr bullets (tipped mono's would be great here), fast burning power like Varget.

Lots of people claim the 6.5 CM is "flat shooting". It's really not within 500 yards. 308 can push a 150 in that length barrel to 2700. If you went to a 130 you might get to 2900. 110 gr TTSX should make 3000 fps no problem. Compare that to a 6.5CM with 140's at 2600. The 308 will shoot so much flatter until about 400 yards. I hunted with a 6.5CM for two seasons with 147's. For "point and shoot" elevation holds out to 400 yards, it's really pretty terrible.

Last edited:
Looking to build a highly portable bolt action rig with folding stock and 16" barrel for pack in - pack out wilderness hunting and survival.

Given the constraint of a 16" barrel, which factory cartridge will produce the longest range possible, and with enough terminal energy for medium game?

Even with shorter barrels a mag cartridge is still going to produce more velocity than a non mag. I would be looking at either a 300wsm or a 300 rcm

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.