Barrel contour on new build.

morning, #5 contour 26"fluted SS HART. if u r weight
sensitive look at the chart for comparing weight of
different contour barrels. justme gbot tum

I am kicking around the idea of having a custom rifle built. It is going to be a 300 H&H Mag used for hunting elk and deer in Wyoming. I also like to go out and shoot rocks at long distances...maybe 3-5 shots at a time. I am trying to decide on either a carbon barrel or steel. I like the idea of carbon for weight, as most of my hunting involves quite a bit of hiking, but my hunting can be hard on equipment and especially barrels. I don't know how durable the carbon barrel is going to be.

If I go with carbon, it will probably be a Proof Sendero Light at 2 lbs 13 oz. If I go with a steel barrel, it will probably be a Bartlein. I am trying to figure out the contour to keep the weight down, but not sacrifice accuracy. I am thinking a heavy sporter (#3 at 3.5 lbs) with flutes or a medium sporter (#2B at 3.2 lbs). Will I be happy with the accuracy of the these two profiles of steel barrels? I'm expecting to get close to 1/2 MOA. I can shoot 1 MOA with factory rigs all day long.

What a classic Cartridge you have selected. I hope you contact Griffin and Howe ,here in NJ and see if they have an elegant Bolt Action Rifle, chambered in .300 H and H . Stocked in English walnut ,with an Ebony For end tip and Grip cap. . Finished with a satin had ribbed oil finish and fine checkering . Express Sights and Barrel band ,of course. Good luck and good shooting . Lenny

I have used Bartlein #3 and 2b contours on rifles. My 300 win mag has a #3 contour and it shoots great. The 2b is on my daughters 6.5 creedmoor. It all depends on the finished length you want for your rifle. Personally I would not go any longer than 24" for the 2B. Hope that helps.

I do plan on going with a 24" barrel. I've owned 2 H&H's and that's the barrel length they have always been. I am interested in why you wouldn't go longer than 24" though.

I will do that. Thanks.

Alex is building (waiting on parts) a 300 prc for me and we are doing a #4 rock creek. I believe most of his magnum hunters are on 4 and 5 contour barrels. A 4 contour from anywhere else is about a #3 from Bart.

My stock will be regular fill, because I don't want a nose heavy rifle. I'm expecting it to come in around 7 and half I'm not interested in a lite magnum.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the thinner barrels, I have found that the longer they are the more they will whip with the shot, making them very difficult to tune loads. This is just my experience with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.