Building a 6.5-06 which barrel contour?

bludog

I have a rem 700 I'm going to send to douglas this week and have it rebarreled to 6.5-06. This is my first build, I want a barrel contour like a Winchester coyote lite or a little thiner would a silhouette contour be what I'm looking for?

Douglas Barrels, Inc

If you are wanting to go with a light barrel, I would either go #3 or #4. I think that the coyote lite is more close to the #3 contour. If you look, the silhouette contour is actually a little heavier than the #5 contour.

Go with a 26" (finished length) Douglas XX Air-Gauged #5 contour to start with, then tell them you want them to turn it down to around .770" at the muzzle. That should be a good weighted contour for hunting & target. That's about the same contour as my Weatherby AccuMark.

Unless you want to go Remington Sendero contour, which isn't really bad for toting, but is .880" at the muzzle (26" finished length).

I will be using a Douglas XX-Match Air-Gauged 7mm 1:9 #5 contour blank for rebarreling my Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag. I will be leaving it at the standard #5 contour that it comes as. And will also probably be using another one for my .280 Ackley Improved build. Haven't decided between it and a Rock Creek 5R for that project, since I still haven't gotten my 700 donor action. That might change soon...

I just looked at a Winchester varmint, The muzzle measured .750 that's that I'm looking for. I don't care for the tapered target barrels. What is the 5A contour? what does the A stand for?

A 5A is designed for .458 WinMag and larger calibers, as a sporter barrel for big bore magnum calibers. It has a very long and thick chamber section of the barrel for added strength from the huge pressures the large bore magnums produce.

It would be overkill for what you need.

I think what you are hunting for is the #6 countour. Starts out 1.200" and ends up at .750".

A #6 is a straight taper, I don't care for that look. #5 turned to .750 at muzzle sounds good, thanks for the help. This is all new to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts