New build!!! Starting a .270 SS!!

Nice, I love it!! What are the build specs, and what does it weigh? Beautiful rifle.
27" rock creek 8 twist 5r light Palma with Wyatt's box and a McMillan gamescout. It weighs 9.8# on my bathroom scale with NF 6 screw rings and an nxs 5.5-22x50. Mine was built before he actually had the 270 reamer so a 6.5 reamer was used with a 270 win throater. My throat is pretty long and the 170's have been shooting around 3100fps.

27" rock creek 8 twist 5r light Palma with Wyatt's box and a McMillan gamescout. It weighs 9.8# on my bathroom scale with NF 6 screw rings and an nxs 5.5-22x50. Mine was built before he actually had the 270 reamer so a 6.5 reamer was used with a 270 win throater. My throat is pretty long and the 170's have been shooting around 3100fps.
Have you ever figured out what the free bore is on that rifle.

So does wildcat composites make them stocks in left handed? Seems like a good deal.

You will like that stock. Ive been to KS arms shop and held that gun i believe. Its a nice fit. I also have one of their barrels on my wildcat 30 cal. good bunch of guys.

So does wildcat composites make them stocks in left handed? Seems like a good deal.
They do not make it in left hand, HOWEVER all you do is fill in the bolt slot and action opening on the right side with your bedding material when you bed the action, then sand it down smooth when you finish the stock, and remove the material from the other side of the stock to convert to left hand.

They do not make it in left hand, HOWEVER all you do is fill in the bolt slot and action opening on the right side with your bedding material when you bed the action, then sand it down smooth when you finish the stock, and remove the material from the other side of the stock to convert to left hand.
The hassle you poor guys born wrong-handed have to do for a decent stock just goes to prove the dedication you have. I'm always impressed with the ingenuity

Have you ever figured out what the free bore is on that rifle.
I'm at 3.590" to touch using primitive means of measuring with a bullet in a fired case with 170 bergers. 4 loads on crappy nosler brass and a couple left in it I think at that level but I'm currently fire forming and making the switch to rws.

I'm at 3.590" to touch using primitive means of measuring with a bullet in a fired case with 170 bergers. 4 loads on crappy nosler brass and a couple left in it I think at that level but I'm currently fire forming and making the switch to rws.
Do ya think RWS is the best brass to use in the .270 Sherman? I was thinking about trying Norma, but I believe Norma makes Nosler brass, and I haven't heard the best things about Nosler brass.

The Norma and nosler are two different animals in 270 Winchester. It's not the same. From everything I've heard though rws is the best and toughest. I'm not far enough along to really give you an opinion though other than at least the rws is the correct length after fire forming. Nosler was about .020" short and it really doesn't grow in this chambering.

So this build is unfotunately going to get delayed until next year....with a new baby, two other littles, and the wife working on finishing up nursing school, I need to streamline my time and funds to some of my other irons in the fire. Also if I try to force this to happen, I am going to end up compromising on quality to save money and get it done before hunting season, and I simply don't want to do that. I will pick this build up again, but it will be later.

Rich, my cousin and I will still be getting with you some time this spring/summer to get a reamer rented to get his marlin up and running, it is going to be sent to Tetrahedron Arms in Rock Springs, Wy. He has built a couple rigs for me and he does good work. Thanks Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.