New build!!! Starting a .270 SS!!

codyadams

So I have been anticipating this build for quite some time.....and I finally dove in head first!! My wife may kill me!! ha ha. Brux barrel has been ordered, no turning back!!

It started out when I found out about a SMOKING deal on some .270 170 Berger EOL bullets, something like $22 a box, so I bought 5 boxes, if for nothing else as a good investment. My cousin also bought 4, so if he doesn't use them I may buy them from him. Well I had the bullets....So I needed a rifle to shoot them!! Thus, I immediately thought of the Sherman or SS, as I have been wanting to build one anyway.

I think this caliber will be PERFECT for my mixed high country long range mule deer/elk hunting. While my .260 AI kills elk well, I think the .270 will do it a little better, with a little more energy from the 170 bullet, but will also be a nice intermediate diameter for back country hunting. Besides, I need a lighter rifle, as my .260 AI is 13.5 lbs. It is better suited for long range pronghorn.

My goal on this build is to keep it under 9 lbs ready to hunt. Here are my rough build specs:

Brux #4 fluted barrel, 1:8 twist, finished @ 23"

Muzzle Brakes and More Mini Beast 4 port (will be flush fit to barrel)

Remington 700 SA BDL

PTG MBE-4 Mag box to allow for up to 2.995" OAL

Stock is still unsure- Likely a B&C Alaskan, or if I can save more pennies, a Manners Elite or Mcmillan Game Warden with edge fill. Want to keep this under about 30 oz.

Tally one piece rings - open to suggestions here. I have heard mixed thoughts on the tally 1 piece rings.

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44

All cerakoted some flavor of gray

I have the action, bottom metal and trigger, the barrel has been ordered (as of tonight), so that leaves brass, stock, optic/rings, brake, and mag box. When I get to that point, I will contact Rich to have the reamer sent to my gunsmith, though it may be a little bit before I can get it all put together. I feel I may be pushing it close to my weight goal with the #4 barrel, but being 23" and fluted will help. No matter what, it will be a ton lighter than what I am used to. I don't want to go too light, the area I hunt mule deer and elk, about the closest shot you will get is 500 yards with opportunity out to over 1000 yards. I want a good stable rifle for that.

Though this build is just starting, I am already overly excited. It will be hard to wait to save up for all the components, but in the end I am certain it will be worth it. I will update this thread as it progresses.

Great choice! I'm a huge 270 fan! Hence why I have the standby 270 win, 270 Sherman, and 270ss. Rich and I both made our 270 ss as lightweight rigs. Mine is almost exactly what you are doing and rich (has a little more money than me :)) went with a lone peak titanium action. So far I've only slayed whitetail and mule deer with mine but the 165 matrix is awesome. Mine likes the 165 more than the 170 berger.
20181201_114458.jpg

Manners eh 4
trued rem 700
Timney 510
Brux #3 fluted 1:8 @24"
Talley 1 piece rings
Leupold vx5hd
Sits right at 8 pounds scoped
Depending on your mounting the hawkins 1 piece rings are a good option if you want 25 moa built in and an anti-cant bubble on the rear cap ring.
I originally had this in a b&c Alaskan stock which was also very nice but the manners is way better especially with the high comb. If leupold does release the 4-20 vx5hd this year I might swap this scope out for a little more magnification and hope they add more reticles.

Great choice! I'm a huge 270 fan! Hence why I have the standby 270 win, 270 Sherman, and 270ss. Rich and I both made our 270 ss as lightweight rigs. Mine is almost exactly what you are doing and rich (has a little more money than me :)) went with a lone peak titanium action. So far I've only slayed whitetail and mule deer with mine but the 165 matrix is awesome. Mine likes the 165 more than the 170 berger.
View attachment 116509
Manners eh 4
trued rem 700
Timney 510
Brux #3 fluted 1:8 @24"
Talley 1 piece rings
Leupold vx5hd
Sits right at 8 pounds scoped
Depending on your mounting the hawkins 1 piece rings are a good option if you want 25 moa built in and an anti-cant bubble on the rear cap ring.
I originally had this in a b&c Alaskan stock which was also very nice but the manners is way better especially with the high comb. If leupold does release the 4-20 vx5hd this year I might swap this scope out for a little more magnification and hope they add more reticles.
Awesome, that gives me a great idea of where I will end up....1 inch shorter barrel than yours but a #4, I will probably be around a quarter pound heavier or so? I also looked at that stock too....if money wasn't an issue it would be a toss up between that and the mcmillan game warden....

I ran rl 26 for a few years and was using hbn but stopped using that and have since switched to rl 23 pushing it at 2999 fps. If I remember it still holds 1200 foot pounds at a 1000 yards.
I've always though about trying the 140 Berger classic hunter or the 145 eldx but that only because I cant stop tinkering.
Rich was running the 150 lrab but it is really explosive up close and on bone. I believe he has a 23" barrel with a 1:8.5 twist brux.

Good choice fellas!
Mine is a Lone Peak Razor TI
Brux #3 8.5 twist fluted 21".
Manners EH4 stock
Calvin Elite trigger
Talley Aluminum 2 piece mts
Swaro 4x12 scope
Field ready weight at exactly 7 lbs minus sling.
I was shooting the 150 LRAB at 3152', but as Ryan stated, way too explosive up close.
IMG_20181201_221907500.jpg

You'll be surprised just how much harder that 270 hits elk at those farther distances that the 6.5!!
I have taco'ed a pile of elk the the 165 Matrix but have only seen a few with the 170 Berger, we need to see more:)
Rich's is light but that lone peak isn't super light over all just compared to a similar build of steel, if a guy had the coin the Peirce all Ti action is the lightest way to do it. But dang$$$
I can't remember if I cut Rich's barrel of at 21 or 23, I do know you want a brake, it kicks like a mule, I was a little loose on the first test round and it was sharp!!!

You'll be surprised just how much harder that 270 hits elk at those farther distances that the 6.5!!
I have taco'ed a pile of elk the the 165 Matrix but have only seen a few with the 170 Berger, we need to see more:)
Rich's is light but that lone peak isn't super light over all just compared to a similar build of steel, if a guy had the coin the Peirce all Ti action is the lightest way to do it. But dang$$$
I can't remember if I cut Rich's barrel of at 21 or 23, I do know you want a brake, it kicks like a mule, I was a little loose on the first test round and it was sharp!!!
Yup, the mini beast 4 port (when they will be available) is going to be .670" diameter, should be a close fit to the #4 barrel. May go up to the baby beast depending on what muzzle diameter is at the cut off, but it will have a break. Quite often I do not have a spotter, so I need to be able to spot my own hits, and it is likely my wife will use it as well, so I don't want her getting belted by it either ha ha.

Yup, the mini beast 4 port (when they will be available) is going to be .670" diameter, should be a close fit to the #4 barrel. May go up to the baby beast depending on what muzzle diameter is at the cut off, but it will have a break. Quite often I do not have a spotter, so I need to be able to spot my own hits, and it is likely my wife will use it as well, so I don't want her getting belted by it either ha ha.

If you don't have a good brake you'll be spotting stuff BEHIND you until you turn your head back around!!:eek::eek:

I've been considering putting a brake on my 270 Sherman just because it's a heavier rig and why not.
I had planned on taking this for my elk hunt last fall and took it but still plugged the 300ss instead which was a good choice for the distances I had shots from.
I also have shot 2 bears with the 270ss and it was impressive.

So my build modified slightly!! After contacting the owner of Brux, he said they won't be running .270 barrels until March, so after more research I have decided to go with a #3 instead of #4, to save a touch of weight. Still going to have the same brake, but it will just have a slight taper. I am really hoping I can get it down to an even 8lbs or slightly less ready to hunt....I will have the shank cut short, this will not be a high round count rifle so I'm not worried about setting the throat back.

What does everyone think I can get an HBN coated 170 going in a 23" barrel? I'm hoping for a comfortable 3000 fps, my cousin is shooting 180 VLD's at 3060 from his 7 mag and it sure puts a whack on critters, I'm betting this will be pretty similar!!

Also, I think I figured out what stock I'm going to use. I really like the look of the AG composites stocks, and their Visigoth stock looks like it fits the bill. Similar shape to the Mcmillan Game Scout, average finished weight of 28 oz (may be slightly lighter on my build as the LOP will be shortened .5"-1" and will be a short action), and a couple hundred less than the Mcmillan/Manners stocks.
visigoth.jpg

That's going to be a nice build. Similar to to route I'm going. Mine will be a little heavier though. Went with a #4.5 benchmark heavy spiral fluted at 22" and 24" finish. Went with a manners EH1 CF. Building a 6SST and a 7SST. Hoping it finishes close to 9-9.5 lbs complete. I have a #3 Brux on my 300 Win Mag. Shoots incredible with 215's. You are going to like the Brux.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.