New build for ELR hunting. .300 BSM (30-416 Rigby)

My bad... it's VV24N41. Burn rate is one powder faster that 50BMG.
The .30-.416 is a great rifle, however, I would never chamber another one today. I would move straight to the Norma. Brass prep for the 416 is a pain in the ***.

Got you. That might also be a option over 50BMG. You are right about prepping the brass. I messed up some pieces doing it. :D

I would use raptor brass or the 33XC brass. Both are just a simple neck down from .338. But hold more powder. Like stated before, If I had know I would have went a different route. the raptor bras was made available after I started this project and the 33xc came out about halfway though the project.

Another bullet I will be testing in this gun is a 240 Grain cup core. A picture to compare it to some other bullets I have. Two pictures. Ones a little closer up.

Left to right. 230 Berer OTM, 230 SMK, 240 RBTST
Bukkets 002.JPG
Bukkets 003.JPG

In case some are wondering. The tip on the 240 is solid. It does not move at all.

I was looking at Bergers quick reference specs on the two 230gr. They show .529" for the target and .542" for the OTM yet their BC is very similar. With such a dramatic difference in nose profile I'm surprised the Target's BC isn't much higher than the OTM.
Just an observation.

I hear you. In OAL they are only .06" Difference in length. That also plays into BC. I do not have one of the target 230 on hand. The Meplat also plays into the BC of a Bullet. Not sure the size difference between the two? Or if theirs any. A smaller Meplat will yield higher BC.

Still has always interested me to.

The 210gr RDF are supposed to have a .348 G7. Might be worth a look. I think your 111 action is a single shot so no mag restrictions. ???

Yes the 112 I have is a single shot. You got it no mag restrictions yay!! I have looked at the RDF from Nosler. But in all honesty I have about 1300 Berger 215s and they do have a little better BC. I do not think I will even try them in this gun though. I was able to shoot the 230SMK to 3367 with h50bmg. Going to try a slower powder and 3400 plus should be doable. Those 210 RDFs or 215 Hybrids would scream! they might even go to pieces on me.

One way to find out though!

Last edited:
Loaded up some of the ALCO 240 RBTST bullets to test. I am thinking they will not be very fast. Taking a guess and thinking about 3200. Reason why is the bearing surface is .760 Inches. Supper long considering the Berger 230 OTM I am shooting is .542 that .218 Longer for the 240 from Alco not to mention another 10 grains added weight.

Will be testing from 104 to 116 grains of US869 doing it in 2 grain jumps. Depending on pressure signs I will not test all the way up. I did shoot the 230 OTM berger with up to 124 Grains of US869. If I do not hit pressure I will be trying higher. But with the added weight and .218 Longer bearing surface I am sure 116 will be close to the top end. Just looking for pressure right now. When pressure is found then a load will be worked up. Then on to collecting data to come up with a BC for the bullet.

Any guesses at where the pressure will be found at and what I might get for speed?

Anyway a picture of the loaded round.
240 ALCO bullets 001.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.