300 Norma Improved build - Hunting/ELR crossover rig

cb4128

I had the opportunity to compete in a local ELRSO light gun ELR match back in March and absolutely loved it. I ended up taking 4th overall and 2nd Amateur out of 75 shooters - targets were 800-2,000 yards. The gun I used in the competition was my 7 lb 300 RUM - shooting 230gr berger otm's. Not a competition gun by any means, but it's what I had and was confident in at the time. That was the same rifle I took elk hunting in New Mexico last year - definitely my go-to big game rifle, so don't want to burn it out!

I was committed at that point to build a steel barrel competition rig, but wanted to also have the ability to hunt with it - banking on the fact that I wouldn't shoot it as much if it's sole purpose was competition shooting.

So, with that in mind, here's the components I came up with and pictures of the final product. All work done by Alamo Precision Rifles down the road from me in North Texas. We decided on Alex Wheeler's 35* shoulder reamer as well.

Defiance Deviant Tactical Action
Bartlein 1-8 twist Rem Varmint steel barrel - finished at 28"
McMillan A-3 Adjustable stock (custom painted in house)
Triggertech Diamond trigger
Unknown Munitions Bottom Metal and Detachable mag
Cortina Precision Gen II Tuner Brake

I ended up going with a 1-8 twist to stabilize the 245gr bergers and 250gr A-tips that I am trying out in this rig. I was initially going to go with a 33xc or 338 improved of some sort - but these two 30 caliber offerings are flirting with the same BC with less recoil.

In any case, with the 28" barrel it should still be able to reach way out there for competition and not be outrageous to take hunting as well.

Pics are of the chamber measurements to the lands, loaded in the mag - plenty of clearance even at 3.765" COAL and feeds great. Also pictured is a fire forming round, and the formed case from the test fire at the shop for reference with a 245gr berger.

Starting with VV N565 powder and will also try H1000 if I can't get a fantastic load pretty quickly with the 565. Other guys have used N568 but I didn't have any to try at the time.

Looking forward to fire forming some cases and seeing what it can do soon!

Chad Brookshire Rifle-1.JPG
Chad Brookshire Rifle-2.JPG
Chad Brookshire Rifle-3.JPG
IMG_2915.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that out. Have you had any issues with carbon buildup with retumbo at all?

Very nice! No reason you wouldn't be able hunt with that bad boy! What are some realistic intended speeds from the 28" barrel with 245''s and 250's?

I'm shooting for (pun very much intended) for 3,000-3,050 fps with both.

I'll be very interested to see where it lands for accuracy. I think it will top out around 3,100 for pressure.

Even at 2,950 fps it would be a hammer but I think with the 28" barrel I should be able to get to 3,050

I think those are some very realistic expectations! And I agree, that would be a hammer at 3050fps with either bullet!

I shot a 230 Berger pretty easily at 3030fps in my last chamber. My new one will have a little less freebore and I'm thinking it will shoot a little faster yet… especially after switching form a TI to a steel action. Totally barrel dependent I guess also.

Hoping to shoot 215 hybrids or 208 ELDM's at 3150 for this season. I have H1000 and N570. I know 570 will do it pretty easily. It's just a real dirty powder is all.

I have a 26" 9.5 twist benchmark on this build.

2AF9A61F-569E-4100-B653-587099CB0E27.jpeg

Awesome! The 215's that fast are appealing as well. I went with the fast twist for the heavies because I have a 300 wm that shoots the 215's and a RUM that shoots the 230's (both lighter weight setups).

The 230 hybrids at 3,100 + could be interesting as well.

What contour barrel did you go with?

As far as just ballistics go, it's tough to beat the 215's going over 3150 out to about 1200 yards. But you're shooting LONG ranges for sure.

But there's no replacement for displacement when hunting. So nothing wrong with hitting an animal with a bigger bullet haha.

Mine is a Med Palma contour. Bare rifle weighs exactly 9lbs in that configuration. It will be about 11lbs 12oz with a ZCO 420 and ZCO rings.

Mine is 10lbs on the nose as it sits - will be running a 5-25 ATACR F1 and a Spuhr mount so it'll be 15-16 lbs ready to shoot.

About 5 lbs more than my hunting CF RUM - which is honestly pretty easy to shoot well. Very excited to shoot this thing.

Great looking gun, I have a 300 NM build by Short Action Custom, 26 inch CF barrel, using N-570 (92 gr) and 215s at 3165 fps no pressure signs. You should be able to go faster with your NMI chamber! Awesome gun!!