7mm-300 Norma Improved?

Thanks for all the info guys. From the sounds of it maybe the 7-300 Norma is a bit too much of a good thing. I called Defiance yesterday and they do make a .750" bolt with the Magnum boltface required to shoot the 28 Nosler. Might have to bite the bullet and order a different bolt to avoid all the hassles of getting custom dies made and having to firearm.

Thanks for all the info guys. From the sounds of it maybe the 7-300 Norma is a bit too much of a good thing. I called Defiance yesterday and they do make a .750" bolt with the Magnum boltface required to shoot the 28 Nosler. Might have to bite the bullet and order a different bolt to avoid all the hassles of getting custom dies made and having to firearm.

Who is building your rifle?
They should able to help you with dies.
I'd still go with the 300 NMI or 30 RBH from Travis at RBROS.

Was thinking about using Mark over at Short Action Customs. Not sure if he sells dies or not. Thanks for the recommendation about the 30 RBH, that seems like one heckuva long-range thumper.

You need to have someone do the rifle that has experience and dies available for it. A few lessons need to learned the hard way with dies and reamers specs, headspace etc. Alex Wheeler does all my stuff and gets my vote. Rbros does load development and has experience with all three as well

How about sharing your thoughts between the two cartridges?
I have them both as well. That's why I stated the 28 Nosler cartridge is at the top for effectiveness and use for a 7mm overbore case. And then you only get around 800 rounds down the tube before the throat is gone.
For all out fps the 7rbh wins that. But it comes at a cost. For me my 7mm needs will be filled by the 7saum for now until I can find something new and great that is developed to bring me back to the 7RBH(7/300 NMI).Why the 7 saum over the 28? When I compare Ballistics with the 28 Nosler with the 195's@ 3075fps and the 30 RBH with the 230's@3200fps the clear winner is the 30RBH. Both are 10 pound rigs so no reason to grab the 28 Nosler. The 7 saum pushes a 180@3030fps and gets a barrel life of 1500+ rounds. It's the rifle that gets used the most for practicing and teaching long range shooting.
Again my 2 cents

Last edited:
Some words of advice. Like Swamlord says. Go for the 300 NMI. Or the 338 NMI. The 7 is way to finicky and touchy with a negative investment to rewards equation. Having worked on the cartridge for 10+ years and refusing to submit to the obvious we kept at it. Many reamer design changes (6) were made in efforts to find the "best" way to make it work like we dreamed. When Lapua brought out brass things improved somewhat but we had already been using 423 Dakota brass made by Lapua so we had already reached the limits of the designs we had in reamers.
Things became very apparent after hundreds of rounds and numerous barrels burned. Yea stubbornness played in a lot here.
Here is what we found. The 200 wildcats went away so that left the 195 Berger's.
The 195 Berger's will not stabilize at high speed. Once speeds go over 3250fps this bullet goes crazy. Groups open drastically. 8 twist and 8.4 twist both. 26 inch long. Keep them at or under 3250 and it's a one hole tack driver. Copper fouling in the barrels (Proof Research) was horrible at the upper speeds. Other bullets were pushed over 3400 fps. The Hammer hunter in 177 grains was a winner in the lighter 180 class bullets but with its BC is a long range deterioration game. Past 1k really had problems with wind. That's enough there for another thread somewhere. 180 hybrids started to vaporize out of the barrels at times at 3250 fps and above. 180 eldms are just to explosive at under 500 (tested in a 7saum at 3030 fps at the muzzle. 4 elk and 2 deer from 400 to 630 yards) with the velocity they could be pushed to in this case so we didn't use them. Maybe the 190 Atips will perform better?.
Also when things got above the 3250fps range the rifle began to have drastic torque added into the recoil which added to accuracy issues.
These rifles are 10 pound rigs designed for hunting.
Powder selection is limited for this highly over bore hotrod. Retumbo,RL33 and N570 being the 3 most able to give these velocities with the heavies. Add RL26 for the 180 weight class. Tested 8133 and LRT with result that were not what we needed. 50bmg gives slower velocity and it runs out of case capacity before pressure is reached.
RL33 was to erratic with temp changes!
Then we found that N570 caused rapid throat erosion in the 7mm bores. One barrel was toast in 200 rounds. So now N570 is out on the 7 bore size for us now. Side note is in the 30 cal it performs without the throats being melted so far.
I believe the 28 Nosler is at the tops for case effectiveness and use for the 7mm bore.
When this barrel burns out On my 7 it's going to have the 30 version put on it. 230 Berger at 3200fps is serious elk medicine.
Just my 2 cents from experience
Could you elaborate more on your experience with Rl33 and it's temp sensitivity?

Could you elaborate more on your experience with Rl33 and it's temp sensitivity?

8 pound jug so it's the same lot for testing. At 75 degrees it spiked it pressure with loads that had worked fine at 60. Then below freezing fps and es were extremely erratic. 3 different primers used. WLRM,250 and 215 GM. I've experienced this before in other cartridges with 33. 300rum and 30/338 Lapua imp.
But I had to try it to verify

8 pound jug so it's the same lot for testing. At 75 degrees it spiked it pressure with loads that had worked fine at 60. Then below freezing fps and es were extremely erratic. 3 different primers used. WLRM,250 and 215 GM. I've experienced this before in other cartridges with 33. 300rum and 30/338 Lapua imp.
What kind of erratic es and FPS were you getting? How could you tell your pressures spiked? Primers? Curious cause I should test for this since I use r33 a lot

Would it behave differently with larger bore diameter cases such as 338 Edge or Lapua Imp.? Might have to do some testing.

What kind of erratic es and FPS were you getting? How could you tell your pressures spiked? Primers? Curious cause I should test for this since I use r33 a lot

primers blown out. 2 times. Stiff bolt lift on charge weights that were good for below 75 degrees
Below freezing erratic fps were 20-40 es where above freezing to 75 were a 7-8 es.

Interesting note I forgot to mention was LRT and RL33 were the worst 2 for a carbon ring forming. 15-18 shots and it was time to scrub the barrel. Remember these results are for my 7/300 Norma Mag Improved.
I'm not trying to put all 7/300 NMI into the same basket. Just my own testing and results that I'm sharing