New build for ELR hunting. .300 BSM (30-416 Rigby)

I will keep this short and sweet. From here forward I will not be testing the Alco 240 RBTST Bullets. I was trying to work up a load to test and found out the bullet does not hold together @ speeds to much above 3000 FPS in my gun. I have no clue if they would hold together if the twist was slower. Also I am not able to shoot them slow enough with US869 to keep from getting a hang fire Loads 104 to 108 had a hang fire after I hit 110 grains the hang fire was gone and it shot great. But by then the bullets would no longer hold together.

I do know this if you shoot it @ 3000 fps and less you will be fine. Shot neat little round holes @ 500 yards but as soon as the speed got up it would not longer hit the 32" by 96" board I was use. for drop testing. So i moved it in to 170 yards thinking the bullet might be going to pieces but wanted to check. But was hopeing it was not me.
wink.png
The bullet ended up hitting the board in three places. The tips were not staying on them and rest of the bullet key holed. Next shot hit about 3 feet left. No good.

Atleast I know from testing the 230 Berger and 230SMK held up @ 3367 FPS.

I might have to switch to solids. Thats not all bad either.

Pictures to come.

Pictures.

Bullets holes @ 500 yards before hitting to much velocity. BUT still getting a hang fire. So no go.
Bullet tumble 001.JPG

Target moved in to 170 yards to see what was going on. you can see three penetrations if you look close. The upper one is the main body of the bullet. the middle one (where the big patch of paint is missing) must have been a piece of copper. And the bottom one is the bullet tip.
Bullet tumble 002.JPG

The next three picture are close ups of the places the bullet hit. In the is order. Main body, A fragment then the tip.
Bullet tumble 003.JPG

Bullet tumble 004.JPG

Bullet tumble 005.JPG

Last picture is the back of the target. Shows were the main body came through then the tip. The tip penetrated the 3/4 plywood. LOL
Bullet tumble 006.JPG

The things you discover pushing the envelope!

I think solids are the way to go-but still some growing pains here and there.

Yes I feel with the heavier and faster you push a bullet and the tighter the twist, solids are a more sound option.

Still disappointing as i was looking forward to testing the BC of the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.