New Build: 6.5-300 Weatherby

This will hopefully be my long range hunting rifle. I've got the dies, brass, bullets, stock and action (I've got a 300 Weatherby and I'll use the action from it.); My preference is going with a 26" barrel with a muzzle break. The question of the day is who would you recommend for the barrel? McGowen (who I typically use) is out, they don't have the reamer. Lastly, if you have any suggestions regarding the specs of the barrel, any and all suggestions are welcome. I was advised not to expect much more than 800 rounds out of the barrel; 1,000-1,200 if I opt for a slower burning powder and not push velocity.
BRUX Barrel for SURE, Berger 140 gr. Elite Hunters ( Best 6.5 Hunting Bullet, @ 3,150 FPS, IMO ) and, N-165 or N-170 to get a little Extra,.. Barrel "Life" !!
Don't go, too HEAVY, on the Barrel contour,.. IF.. really,.."Hunting" ( 8.5 lbs,.. Max., Rifle weight, is,.. BEST )
Just an Opinionated Old guy here with, 60 Years of, Experience,.. "Hunting",.. Big Game.
I HAVE, a 10 Pound Rifle and it's mostly, "chained", to My,.. Bench Rest !
Avoid, the .700+ Dia. Barrels,.. like, the Plague !
.650-.675 MAXIMUM Dia IF, carrying, the Rifle !
PS; Brux Barrels, HOLDS at least, 2 World Championships for,.. SMALLEST 600 yard, Groups !

Last edited:
My buddy and I each built one - identical builds minus the stock. He went with an older wby lazermark stock and I used a used accumark stock. Our donor guns were a 300 wby and a 340 wby, they were stainless mark V actions with cheap plastic stocks. I haven't played with mine much. I am going to try to shoot 130 swift scirrocos. I think he's playing with those and heavier eldx's. We both used proof sendero light barrels 26, I wish I would have just used a regular sendero contour. I don't think I gained anytbubg with the sendero lite.

This will hopefully be my long range hunting rifle. I've got the dies, brass, bullets, stock and action (I've got a 300 Weatherby and I'll use the action from it.); My preference is going with a 26" barrel with a muzzle break. The question of the day is who would you recommend for the barrel? McGowen (who I typically use) is out, they don't have the reamer. Lastly, if you have any suggestions regarding the specs of the barrel, any and all suggestions are welcome. I was advised not to expect much more than 800 rounds out of the barrel; 1,000-1,200 if I opt for a slower burning powder and not push velocity.
Wow. Much overbore. But to answer your question, PacNor or Criterion. I personally really like the Sendero Remington profile, fluted, threaded for a brake or suppressor. 1:8 twist would easily handle 147gr class VLDs. Good luck!

hands down, benchmark! call and talk to Ron or Bill to get specs worked out for length, twist, contour, barron Fibre or not. fluting etc. can not buy a better barrel!

I have the 6.5-300wby factory rifle in a MKV Backcountry 2.0 Ti. It's a laser bolt and hits hard.
I had a Vanguard in 6.5-300 that shot fantastic as well, I just wanted lighter.
I too am not worried about barrel life as it is a hunting rifle only.
I did rebarrel a 340wby with a 340wby Carbon Six barrel and it shoots fantastic.
I would consider doing another Carbon six in the future.
I don't know if they do the 6.5-300 as I haven't looked into that.
Good luck with your build.

I have a 6.5 -300Wby. It started life as a 6.5 STW more than two decades ago and is now on its third barrel as a 6.5-300. I am not bothered by the short barrel life at all but I do get far more life than you are thinking. My current barrel has 1290 rounds on it and still shooting .5 MOA but showing wear in the form of fire cracking drone the throat to 3/4 " out.
With this gun I have taken a Grand Slam of North American Wild sheep plus several dozen other big game from coues white tail to elk and moose. It has stopped every one in its tracks or very short flight distance, less than 20 yards. I currently shoot the 140 grain Berger Elite Hunter at 3,240 from a 24" "3 contour Shilen barrel and 2" radial brake.
My action is a Prarie Gun Works Titanium REM 700 clone in a McMillan Edge hunter stock. It is a dream to shoot, and very decisive on game.

Bartlien carbon and go with a progressive twist so you can shoot the light and heavy pills. I use the 156 Berger EOL and keep them at 3250 fps and the 142 Nosler ABLR and load them as fast as possible. The Bergers start to disintegrate (come apart) over 3250 fps

800 rounds is a pipe dream. I have seen people shoot out a 6.5-300 in 400. What action are you using? McGowen will do it, just going to cost you $68 for them to get the reamer. If they can't get it then another one would be a 26 Nosler, 264 mag. Or you can probably buy a new rifle for the cost of the rebarrel.
My 26 NOSLER out preforms my 6.5-300 by a long way and barrel life is about the same I also have a 6.5 STW which is close to the 26 NOS.

I recomend and prefer Bartlien barrels. Go with 5R Lefthand rotation (for Northern hemisphere) gain twist starting @ 1:8.35 to 1:7.35 @ muzzle. I recommend N570 powder for it too. I have a 31" 6.5 PRC running 156 Bergers @ 3350 fps with 64 grains of Vihtavouri N570, you would be able to go faster with the 6.5-300 Wby. In a 31" barrel, not sure how fast it will go with a 26". This combination works great in my Desert Tech SRS-A1.