New Build: 6.5-300 Weatherby

LongestShot

This will hopefully be my long range hunting rifle. I've got the dies, brass, bullets, stock and action (I've got a 300 Weatherby and I'll use the action from it.); My preference is going with a 26" barrel with a muzzle break. The question of the day is who would you recommend for the barrel? McGowen (who I typically use) is out, they don't have the reamer. Lastly, if you have any suggestions regarding the specs of the barrel, any and all suggestions are welcome. I was advised not to expect much more than 800 rounds out of the barrel; 1,000-1,200 if I opt for a slower burning powder and not push velocity.

My question to you would be if you arent interested in max performance from the cartridge, then why bother with that cartridge?
It lost its popularity among hunters fifty years ago because better bullets made the 7x300 Weatherby a better option.
What has changed?
Certainly among the 6.5 line up of cartridges it is still a very viable option, provided you consider its full potential.
My personal opinion would be to stick with what you have, a 300 Wetherby.
As for barrels, i think in todays world they are all good, at least the well known brands.
Hart barrels will chamber their barrel in what ever you want.

800 rounds is a pipe dream. I have seen people shoot out a 6.5-300 in 400. What action are you using? McGowen will do it, just going to cost you $68 for them to get the reamer. If they can't get it then another one would be a 26 Nosler, 264 mag. Or you can probably buy a new rifle for the cost of the rebarrel.

This will hopefully be my long range hunting rifle. I've got the dies, brass, bullets, stock and action (I've got a 300 Weatherby and I'll use the action from it.); My preference is going with a 26" barrel with a muzzle break. The question of the day is who would you recommend for the barrel? McGowen (who I typically use) is out, they don't have the reamer. Lastly, if you have any suggestions regarding the specs of the barrel, any and all suggestions are welcome. I was advised not to expect much more than 800 rounds out of the barrel; 1,000-1,200 if I opt for a slower burning powder and not push velocity.
I say Go For It.
I've have one and I'm planning on upgrading my barrel. I don't like the pencil thin factory barrel. I'm thinking of a Sendero size cut at 28" with 7.5twt.
If you want to wait a year or more, order a Bartlein mod.400 S.S.
I am thinking of ordering from Ace barrels.
Good Luck With Your Build. 👍

Sounds like you're bound and determined and that's fine . I would strongly suggest a cut- rifled barrel,Brux,Kreiger,Bartlein just to name a few ,twist depending on what bullets you want to shoot,someone will help here I'm sure . Barrel contour depends on if your going to carry rifle like a normal over the shoulder rifle,or not carry it far and mostly shoot off a bench Or tripod, it also controls heat to a certain degree,meaning to light and it'll heat up fast and groups will open up much quicker then a heavier contour. Definitely go stainless steel a #5 contour would be fine for walking ,a heavy Palma would heat up slower, it's all a compromise one way or the other,ultimately it's your rifle ,make yourself happy ,Cheers 😆.

Kreiger Barrel but if you're not chasing speed then why a 26" barrel special if it is for hunting and don't forget your ear plugs with a break! For me I would go with a 20" barrel surppressed JMO. Good luck

Instead of the 6.5-300 I would recommend the 6.5 RPM. I built one and because the science behind it is different than anything Weatherby had done before. Mine is 26 inches and I'm getting 3100+ with 156 Bergers. The other option would be 7mm PRC.

LongestShot - I built one on a well traveled 300 WBY Mag MK V custom. Used a Bartlein 5R heavy sporter contour barrel at 26" finished length with a radial muzzle break, very easy on the shoulders. Got it dialed in with 130 Berger VLD hunting bullets, I can send you the powder and related data if it will help you.

Shoots very very well. I have my own reamer, has chambered 2 rifles so far- PTG finish reamer, standard/stock WBY chamber. I am/was not concerrned with barrel life as I my only intended purpose was to hunt with it so 400/800/1200 rounds was not important in my rifle and should last a very long time.
Shot about 20 to 30 rounds to get to my accurate load. With respect to other calibers mentioned, I am a fanatic on the 6.5 calibers, so that was it, plus plenty (if expensive) ammo available for my stock chamber. This rifle went to my nephew in the attached pic,
65x300.JPEG
and have since purchased an Accumark MK V in the same caliber. A 7mm option was mentioned, there is a 7mm WBY MAG. I had MK V in a 7mm STW, big fan of the STW's. Awesome Beanfield Calibers. You have a fantastic donor rifle, Good luck with your build.

What are realistic velos with the 140 and 156 Berger, in this cartridge?
Im about to get going on a 6.5 Max, wondering how they will compare.

Last edited: