New Build: 6.5-300 Weatherby

Bartlien carbon and go with a progressive twist so you can shoot the light and heavy pills. I use the 156 Berger EOL and keep them at 3250 fps and the 142 Nosler ABLR and load them as fast as possible. The Bergers start to disintegrate (come apart) over 3250 fps
If it's that fragile in flight, what does it act like when it arrives on meat? Dynamite?
Im about to max out some 153 LRHT, hoping for 3200

If it's that fragile in flight, what does it act like when it arrives on meat? Dynamite?
Im about to max out some 153 LRHT, hoping for 3200
I shoot the Bergers because they stay together in flight at very high velocities and are high bc accurate bullets. Yes, they do come apart on impact, and do create a real mess. Shoot for the head, faster kill with zero damaged meat.

What? I get 3100 with 190 HPBT in a 11# Shelby 300 H&H no brake and fun to just shoot for accuracy. As already mentioned I would stay with the 300 WTHY

As far as the 6.5-300 and loads, I am shooting 140gr AB at 3490 with N570. I took a Dall's Sheep back in September at 410 yards with two shots. The first shot never exited and blew apart. The second shot did nearly the same except there was a slice on the off side where a piece of jacket exited. Don't get me wrong, it did the job since he didn't travel more than 20 yards from the first shot but I'm searching for a less frangible bullet since I would like to use it on moose next year. I picked up some Berger 156 grain Elite Hunters to slow things down by increasing weight and sectional density but still not sure this is the ticket since its still a cup and core bullet.

As far as the 6.5-300 and loads, I am shooting 140gr AB at 3490 with N570. I took a Dall's Sheep back in September at 410 yards with two shots. The first shot never exited and blew apart. The second shot did nearly the same except there was a slice on the off side where a piece of jacket exited. Don't get me wrong, it did the job since he didn't travel more than 20 yards from the first shot but I'm searching for a less frangible bullet since I would like to use it on moose next year. I picked up some Berger 156 grain Elite Hunters to slow things down by increasing weight and sectional density but still not sure this is the ticket since its still a cup and core bullet.
Swift scirocco's will hold up. If anything they are extremely tuff. Should be a perfect marriage

i didn't read all the posts but saw this post come up in my email, so i logged in just to tell you what I wish someone would have told me before i did it. DO IT! You'll Love it! Yes it will shoot out fast, but barrells are relatively cheap. The performance in the meantime is worth it! Varget powder is your friend. Should be able to get close to 4k velocity with most any 6.5 bullet. Good luck!

I say Go For It.
I've have one and I'm planning on upgrading my barrel. I don't like the pencil thin factory barrel. I'm thinking of a Sendero size cut at 28" with 7.5twt.
If you want to wait a year or more, order a Bartlein mod.400 S.S.
I am thinking of ordering from Ace barrels.
Good Luck With Your Build. 👍
I was talking with my smith this Wednesday in fact regarding Bartlein barrels. He was reaming one out for a customer and ran into a hard spot. I asked what's a hard spot and he defined it as a spot where the reamer would not cut thru. He stated he only ran four barrels on this reamer and had no problems with any. Called bartlein and he sent it to them it sat there for twelve weeks with a man waiting on his custom build. I would scream!!! Anyway the smith recovered the barrel and called the place that he purchased the reamer and they stated there have been a few issues with bartlein barrels and his was not the only one they accepted the barrel and completed the job. Needless to say I went Brux for my barrel purchase, just what I heard. I know there are always issues with a custom build but there are a lot of quality barrel manufacturers out there with quality craftsmanship. I have always heard nothing but good stuff about Bartlein but this raises my eyebrows. Good luck with your build and I hope it's a shooter!

That must be a very mild load. That's down around what a 264 WM will get.

My 264 Win Mag Improved has shot 3375 with 156EOLs; I do have a 28" barrel though.
My 6.5/257 Wby pushes 150 Sierras at 3427fps with some loads over 3500fps.

28" PacNor barrel.

Use the longer mag box in your 300 Wby mag so you can load the 6.5/257 Wby cartridges long, with the higher BC bullets (over 3.5" COAL ).

All you need to buy is 270 Wby brass to neck down to 6.5mm. RCBS makes the 6.5/257 Wby dies...

ETA: what a 6.5/257Wby with a 150 Sierra loaded to 3.5 COAL looks like...

ETA1: Looks like the COAL of the 6.5/300 Wby is 3.53".

Attachments

• PB042702.jpeg
    PB042702.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
My 6.5/257 Wby pushes 150 Sierras at 3427fps with some loads over 3500fps.

28" PacNor barrel.

Use the longer mag box in your 300 Wby mag so you can load the 6.5/257 Wby cartridges long, with the higher BC bullets (over 3.5" COAL ).

All you need to buy is 270 Wby brass to neck down to 6.5mm. RCBS makes the 6.5/257 Wby dies...

ETA: what a 6.5/257Wby with a 150 Sierra loaded to 3.5 COAL looks like...

ETA1: Looks like the COAL of the 6.5/300 Wby is 3.53".
When I had my reamer built I throated it to seat 156s at 3.550".

With throat erosion over about 600 rounds it has to go to 3.608" to touch now.

My question to you would be if you arent interested in max performance from the cartridge, then why bother with that cartridge?
It lost its popularity among hunters fifty years ago because better bullets made the 7x300 Weatherby a better option.
What has changed?
Certainly among the 6.5 line up of cartridges it is still a very viable option, provided you consider its full potential.
My personal opinion would be to stick with what you have, a 300 Wetherby.
As for barrels, i think in todays world they are all good, at least the well known brands.
Hart barrels will chamber their barrel in what ever you want.
If you actually read my post, you'd realize that I already purchased the stock, dies and brass. The fact that I'm using the action from the 300 Weatherby should let you appreciate that I no longer have any interest in shooting the 300. Your assumption that the 7x300 is a better option is simply an opinion, not a fact. I asked for different opinions regarding a recommendation for a barrel; I didn't ask for opinions regarding my choice to opt for the 6.5-300 Weatherby.