New Brass, Flash Hole

DavidE

I bought some new brass for my 300WM. I mostly use Winchester and do the usual brass prep on it. I wanted to try a different brand that may need less work. This is how the flash holes were chamfered on the inside of the new brass when I got. I don't know if this is good or bad. Is this normal? Should I use it or send it back.
Thanks for any information.
David

Attachments

• 300WM.jpg
    300WM.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 85
There is some debate on the subject of chamfered vs none. I personally think that most brass from companies like winchester, remington and federal would benefit from having the flash hole chamfered due to the burrs that come from "punching" the hole. If norma didn't think it was safe or beneficiary to chamfer the flash hole they wouldn't do it.

Never felt the need to cross-section Norma brass. All I know is that they've never needed deburred because they all looked great, but I didn't know they reamed them that dramatically.

Winchester sure doesn't look like that.

Attachments

• 20150718_104346-1.jpg
    20150718_104346-1.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 57
I bought some new brass for my 300WM. I mostly use Winchester and do the usual brass prep on it. I wanted to try a different brand that may need less work. This is how the flash holes were chamfered on the inside of the new brass when I got. I don't know if this is good or bad. Is this normal? Should I use it or send it back.
Thanks for any information.
David

I do something similar, but not that drastic, to all my brass.

morning, I purchased some Weatherby brass. the flash hole was smaller than a

standard. I reamed the flash to standard size. go to search mode to find out the

primer flash hole size. in prep. of brass of any brand, flash hole should be prepped

before loading.lightbulbgun)

There is some debate on the subject of chamfered vs none. I personally think that most brass from companies like winchester, remington and federal would benefit from having the flash hole chamfered due to the burrs that come from "punching" the hole. If norma didn't think it was safe or beneficiary to chamfer the flash hole they wouldn't do it.
DE, you can be sure Norma's chamfer is safe. Reason, 1 word "liability". 22 has been there with brands mentioned, the premium brands are usually ready to size and load. Perhaps it's safer than leaving the burrs and someone cutting too much out. Norma makes brass for Weatherby.

morning, I purchased some Weatherby brass. the flash hole was smaller than a

standard. I reamed the flash to standard size. go to search mode to find out the

primer flash hole size. in prep. of brass of any brand, flash hole should be prepped

before loading.lightbulbgun)

All Norma made brass has a flash hole of smaller size than US made brass, this includes Weatherby brand, it's only a few thou smaller, but, is uniform and are drilled and de-burred, not punched. They run .074" in small primer holes and .078" in large primer holes. The US run .081" in both as far as I can ascertain.
Hope this helps.

To the OP, Norma brass is in the top 3 for quality, that 'funnel' cut into the flash hole is beneficial to ignition, it spreads the primer flash to ignite more powder. This is what we do when we de-burr flash holes that don't come that way from the factory. Increasing the flash hole size can actually be a bad thing, so test before and after if you uniform Norma or Weatherby brass.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.