Flash hole deburring?????

jeff 300

I started deburring my flash holes on my 338edge brass and know my exbal chart is off. it looks like my speed has picked up a lot. i was using 8 moa for 500yrd before but now I'm only using 7.25moa for 500. could this make make that big of a difference???? every thing else is the same that i have used with this rifle for the past year and i had it dead on out too 1300 using this exbal chart. the only difference is the flash hole. i guess if this is the case i can lower my charge a little maybe to get it back where it was i hope. i was running 93.5 h-1000 fed 215gm @ 2919 with bug hole groups at 100 hate to change it. any ideas????????????

i don't know why i didn't think of that. i have been on so much medicine here lately i can't think straight, now i feel like a DA. i 'll give that a try this weekend would be nice if every thing stayed the same just gained a little more speed. thanks for the wake up call!!!!!!

being sick sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you using the same powder out of the same can, lot #, yadda yadda? I don't know how much it would change +/- from lot to lot or if it was an 8lb can you've had since 2000 and they've changed it since then.
Just trying to throw mud on the wall and see what sticks.

Are you using the same powder out of the same can, lot #, yadda yadda? I don't know how much it would change +/- from lot to lot or if it was an 8lb can you've had since 2000 and they've changed it since then.
Just trying to throw mud on the wall and see what sticks.

Yep every thing i was using before is still the same primer,powder,new brass,bullets are out of the same. the only thing that changed was i cleaned the flash hole up with this deburring tool i picked up for my case mate. i coundn't believe it would make that big of a difference 3/4moa is a lot i would thank???????????????? it shot a good group just 3/4moa high at 500 may be i can just change the info like stayed above in exbal and get it back in line i hope.

If you haven't chronographed the deburred ammo, maybe the rifle has simply changed POI. Such as the scope got jarred a bit too hard.

If you haven't chronographed the deburred ammo, maybe the rifle has simply changed POI. Such as the scope got jarred a bit too hard.

i had cleaned the rifle really well. but i shot it at 100 to foul the barrel and check for zero witch was off by 1/2" to the right but i zero it at 100 with a very tight 5 shot group under 1/2"
so i zero it in at a 100 and then shoot out to 500 and thats when i was shooting high. it shot two groups that was around 2"- 2 1/4" at 500 but high and the condition where great even for south texas no wind at all. i'm going to load some more tonight and shoot it this weekend. hopefully if i can the wind is blowing 20-25 now.

Its not the flash hole deburring. That will create a more constant burn but wont increase the speed under same conditions

Scale could be off

Air Temp could now be warmer

Ammo temp could now be warmer

Alitude could be different.

Scope could be off

Rifles initial zero could have moved due to any number of reasons.

I could go on for hours here. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.