Deburring flash hole & annealing questions

Alibiiv

I recently bought a some new reloading equipment, and playing with them in the basement. I have been reloading for 55+ years; yet, until I started to read the forum there were some steps that ought to have been done and weren't. In reference to primer pockets, I've been reaming those out, seems straight foward with the primer pocket uniforming tool. Now.....the flash holes, I'm using the RCBS flash hole deburring tool with the sleeve. I've not had any difficulty figuring out how the tool works; however, how does one set the depth of the cutter. My concern is that I don't want to go too deep, yet I want to remove the burr left from the manufacturer. Yes one can look inside of the casing, it just seems like there is a better way than that, or is there a better tool to use instead?

Today I annealed 60, .270 Winchester brass so that I can fireform them to .270AI, and I did some 35 Whelen brass. I did the 550C for 6 seconds and then quench; the manufacturer recomends 5-7 seconds in the salt bath. The discoloration goes down about 1/2 inch below the shoulder. Is there a way to determine if the cases are done properly or over-annealed?

Just follow mfgs suggestions ,your doing fine burs on flash holes cut off Quick ! Again on your Annealing I Think your Fine . Trust the Mfgs, good on you !!! If in doubt Call them ! Cheers !

I'm a long way from what I would call Very Knowledgeable. Sounds to me like you have the annealing done well. I use a flame so for me overdoing it I stop just before that flame is going to go orange on the off side of a spinning piece of brass. For my deburring I just set the tool where is just touches bottom then set it a hair deeper. I know that's not very technical but am surprised how much shaved brass comes out. Basically I think your doing well.

Alibiiv,
My opinion, you're good, brother. I did some Lapua .243 brass along with some 338-06 brass a while back and my Lapua brass ended up like you describe (hard to get salt level right for cases so different in length). Lapua brass not showing any negative outcomes....last group shot with those same cases (last month) measured .650" at 200 yards with an SD of 5 and ES of 11.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.