Flash hole deburring tool.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Goobie270, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Goobie270

Goobie270 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting a flash hole deburring tool. Any suggestions on which to get, and if they help with accuracy. It's for 308 pulma cases.

DartonJager likes this.
  2. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

I use the Lyman by hand and it works for me. Fingers can get tired if you do a bunch. I have seen the same tool screwed into a RCBS case prep station for machine driving of it. It is my personal opinion that deburring the flash hole is one of the most telling accuracy improving things I can do to a case. Make sure all your cases are the same length which means sized and trimmed and then don't over do it just remove only the burrs.

Cuz, mtwarych and jasent like this.
  3. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Think you mean Palma, not pulma....lol Lyman for me too, by hand unless it's Nosler or Lapua brass because they are already deburred.

Unimpeded primer flame path is important for consistency.

Dosh likes this.
  4. 243winxb

243winxb Well-Known Member

5. SidecarFlip

I go by feel just like any good toolmaker does. I took the stop of my Lyman when I first bought it. Totally useless.

Dosh and wbm like this.
  6. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

That 21 century tool is $50! And it is caliber dependent! It has done an amazing job in the pic though. I'm just not sure I need that kinda precision. I use the Lyman tool and it is only $15. I tend to use it by feel also. Once I feel it finish the burr, I just give it a couple short turns with some consistent pressure and move on to the next case.

7. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

I’ll sell you a new lyman flash hole tool
    I use a k&m one lol
    They’re basically the same

8. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

I use the Redding WITHOUT the pilots, it has a cone shaped stop you adjust once the FIRST case is cut, then ALL cases are cut to the same depth. As RT2506 said, trim case length first.
    I bought my tool with the pilots for 30 & 26 cals first, then when I saw the results, I wanted to do it to EVERY cal I own....well the number of pilots needed would have been astronomical, so I simply bought the cone shaped stop, works all the way past .50 cal.

Cheers.
    :)

9. SidecarFlip

Reminds me of the Bald Eagle primer setting tool for a buck and a half. Been setting primers for years with my RCBS hand primer with no issues.

Don't mind paying the long dollar for things that I need but the 15 buck Lyman tool works fine for me.

Only drawback is the Lyman tool won't do a 22-250 case. Too fat to fit in the neck.

10. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

I've tried them all at one time or another and have found the K&M tool to be my favorite. It fits about any case neck and it's design doesn't require trimming cases, say you're wanting to let them get longer prior to trim.
    IMG_20180704_212002.jpg

Cuz, 7stw and Deputy819 like this.
  11. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member

I also have the K&M. Works great/highly recommend!

12. jasent

jasent Well-Known Member

I use the Lyman on my rcbs prep station

13. dmoon

dmoon Well-Known Member

+1 on the K&M

14. SidecarFlip

Like anything else, all depends on personal preference and the depth of your wallet. The Lyman works fine for me but your mileage may vary....