new berger 7mm

redstater

Thinking about a antelope hammer built around the new berger 195. Looking for decent barrel life. 7wsm @ 2800 fps? I would have the barrel throated for the long bullet. Opinions appreciated.

This is evedentally from a Berger employee from a thread over at Accuratshooter.com regarding the 195 7mm Berger bullets.

Guys,
The article has some misleading information on it and there arre some points I would like to clarify for you.
The bullet is in the testing phase and has not been officially launched. We sent this bullet out for some public testing to make sure that we had positive feedback before we moved forward with an official launch. We did this because we want to see how the bullet performs in multiple chamberings . This bullet was made for hunting purposes. We realize there are shooters who would like to take these out target shooting ( like F-CLASS). However we are not certain how they will perform. If things are successful we would like to eventually launch a target version of this bullet.
The information on the label pictured on your article has been updated.

Again..this is a copy/paste from a different thread.

Tod

There are a few guys doing some testing with them right now. EOL had some they sold, which are now sold out. I bought a couple boxes to have on hand. I plan to build a 7/300 to shoot them. The earlier thread that was referred to is a good one. A few guys are getting started on testing and getting a few velocities now. Things are looking pretty optimistic in my eyes at this point.

As for the post from the other forum, I am not sure if that is an older post, or if they are considering the few hundred boxes that EOL distributed as the testing to the public. Not sure.

To the original poster, I have a 7 RM right now but with only a 9.25 twist barrel. So since I am rebarreling, I am going to go to a bigger caliber to get a little more velocity on them. I don't know much about the 7 WSM, never shot one. This is just my thinking I guess. I am aiming for 3000 fps with this bullet. Ought to be a pretty good setup I believe. We will see hwat some of these guys testing have to say though. Keep an eye on the thread. It is a pretty descent one.

My smith chambered up a 28 Nosler for the 195s and using RE33 and 28" barrel, got pressure signs at around 3120. Dropped down to node and shot a 0.31" at 3080fps. So I think with RE 33 you can expect around 3050 to 3120 when the barrel breaks in. I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but food for thought.

The accurate shooter post was put up on 8-31-15...so...not an older post.

Cool. I am guessing their "public testing" is those EOL bullets then probably. Makes sense that they haven't been showing up everywhere yet then. Interesting. I wonder how long it will take for them to start flat out producing them???????

Appreciate the replies. The main thread on this bullet is tit for tat name calling. I'm at page 48, maybe it will get better. Looking for decent barrel life. Had a 7 rum, seemed like it was toast before load development was over. Looking for a velocity of 2800-2900. May try it in my 9 twist 7rm after elk season. I'm not opposed to a larger cartridge.

I will be honest, I kind of quit reading it for quite a long time, then started it back up again about a month to month and a half ago. Not sure what page that was, but it gets better. If you get in the 60's it should be a little better. The last few days there have been some guys that have had the chance to shoot them a little and give a little bit of review and performance. Also some chat about potential velocities. I won't talk about caliber much as that become a preferential thing.

The only thing I haven't heard yet is guys haven't taken them out to 700 plus yards yet to talk about performance. I would guess that in the next 3 months there will be some good info after people get time to play around with them a little.

My smith chambered up a 28 Nosler for the 195s and using RE33 and 28" barrel, got pressure signs at around 3120. Dropped down to node and shot a 0.31" at 3080fps. So I think with RE 33 you can expect around 3050 to 3120 when the barrel breaks in. I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but food for thought.
The 28 Nosler has considerably more case capacity so I don't think he can hope for similar performance.

I think he's going to have a hard time pushing these bullets over 3000fps.

Yes, it's a very efficient case but case efficiency can only do so much.

The 28 Nosler has considerably more case capacity so I don't think he can hope for similar performance.

I think he's going to have a hard time pushing these bullets over 3000fps.

Yes, it's a very efficient case but case efficiency can only do so much.

especially since my working load for my 27" long 8" twist 7mmstw is 2932 fps with rl33 and the 195 berger....
I have gone two grains hotter without brass distress but the bolt lift was getting a bit stiffer than I like.

I'm using 79 rl33 lit by fed 215's in ww 7mmstw brass at 3.900" oal. with my 195's

I'd think the 28nos and 7rum will have a tough time breaking 3,000 fps by much and stay reasonable pressure wise.

In the WSM I"m thinking 2700 is a reasonable goal but I'd work up slowly to see if I could get there without pressure problems.

That's a way heavy for caliber bullet.

Also I'd definitely look to berger's twist rate chart before even attempting it. It's going to take a tight spin to settle it down at velocities that low.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.