New Bench rifle in 28 Cal., Any opinions

George Koch

I'm looking at developing a bench rest rifle for 600 and 1000yds in 28 caliber and using 180gr Bergers. I'm open to any suggestions.

I know some are using the straight 284 win and necking up 6.5-284 brass and some are using the 7mm win short mags. Have not heard a whole lot about the 280.

I own one powder burner trying to stay away from the mags , and I was wondering if anybody was using the RE-17 and the 180 Berger in the 284 or 280 and getting between 2900 and 2980 fps velocity without popping primers sticking bolts and with a barrel 30" or Less.

Looks like most of the 7 mags will make it , however I'm trying to stay away from the recoil, and barrel and powder burners if at all possible. I think I already know the answer to my question but I thought I'd throw this out there.

A tight chambered 7mm WSM would be very hard to beat. All of these that I have put together for customers shot extremely well out to the ranges you wanted and work great with any bullet with the velocity range of the WSM.

Here is something on the 284
NBRSA 1K Winner Jerry Tierney
Record-Setting .284 Win F-Classer

I own both 284 and 280AI both have 27" Lilja 1/9 twist barrels and they are just hunting rifles

in the 284-- 53gr/R-17 with 160gr Accubond @ 3048fps

in the 280AI--56gr/R-17 with 160gr Accubonds @ 3046fps

I haven't shot any Berger bullets yet in either rifle. OAL length on my 284 is 3.100" so I have plenty of room for those longer bullets.

What I do is e-mail Walt at Berger and see what he thinks would work as he gets more feed back on his bullets and I'd ask him about the 284,284 Shehane,280AI,7WSM.

Well good luck

Thanks for all the information, now I'm sensory overloaded . Lot to think about. I spoke with Walt Berger (super nice guy) and he helped me out on a gun I'm going to tinker with until I can build my race horse. In fact everyone on this site has been helpful.

Thanks Again

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts