Next new Rifle.......................Your opinions

Greg Duerr

I do realize that my .243AI might have its limitations from time to time especially after seeing some really big Bore Black Bears this last weekend while scouting. So Im leaning towards buying or ordering a new Cooper Excaliber in the 7mm-08. Shooting a 160gr Accubond over a 100gr gives me a better feeling about not haveing to track a big Black Bear even if I hit him right...............

Your thoughts and imput would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Well I have considered the 7mm WSM but not sure if Cooper offers that Caliber.......................Cooper offers the 7mm Rem Mag but for some reason the Magnum Calibers cost $1000 more...................My second choise was the .280 AI which is the 7mm Mag with out the $1000 added cost. My third choise was the .280 I was set on getting the 6.5x284 but liked the idea of having a 160gr bullet ....................................After having a Ackley Improved Cartridge im not sure if I want to go that way again as Fire Forming was a lot of effort with not a lot of Return...........................

Your right ..........................the .280AI is a great cartridge. I could reform 30-06 Lapua brass also..............but having the option of just using the Nosler pre formed bass sure makes thing a lot easier. Having a .243AI i usually end up running my loads a little hot and realized that that makes for short case life.

I will be scouting for Deer this next week here in Nevada.................I scout and my wife finds arrow heads, of course she is always stopping and taking pictures of wild floweres.........................

Greg

I shoot a .284 and a 6.5-284, and the .284 does have a considerable amount of more thump. I would .280 AI but the .280 would also be a better choice than the 7-08 in my opinion. I don't hunt bears, but the large feral boars (250 lbs+) here have a hard time standing up after a 168 or 180 berger vld makes contact.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.