New Barrel Vise, it’s been a slow day….

I like the way the OP is trying to make something new for all of us to think about on Barrel Vises. A lot of innovation comes from shooters in the field.
We have had several over the years. Still have a NIB shown made by Wheeler over 25+ years. It is a Beast and can crank any barrel off. If the barrel doesn't come off the action - either one will twist. Then we have some that were made for us by Bob Pastor - "The Viper". These are smaller and have them on our work benches and take with use to the range. They work well. A trick with these is to take am empty toilet paper roll and wrap around the barrel then put in the vise.

Attachments

• Barrel Vise Wheeler.jpg
    Barrel Vise Wheeler.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Barrel Vise Wheeler1.jpg
    Barrel Vise Wheeler1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Barrel Vise Wheeler base.jpg
    Barrel Vise Wheeler base.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Barrel Vise - Viper.jpg
    Barrel Vise - Viper.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Barrel Vise Viper Side.jpg
    Barrel Vise Viper Side.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 67
For me, I didn't think your original post was to solicit sales... it seemed like someone who built something and was proud of showing it to everyone.
That's all I saw in it.

Like most things I doubt someone would make money on these unless they set up a whole production run if you want to make your hourly rate.

Go buy that material and fasteners for a one off and you may as well buy a $100 commercially made vice

That's all I saw in it.

Like most things I doubt someone would make money on these unless they set up a whole production run if you want to make your hourly rate.

Go buy that material and fasteners for a one off and you may as well buy a $100 commercially made vice
Thats what I thought.I saw NO SALES in it anywhere.Just a man proud of his tool he made.

This is the only vice I've ever needed. One of the "required" projects to be made in the first semester of GS school. (first semester is machine shop) Been using it now for almost 30yrs, made bushings as I've needed them.
I never thought of mounting the barrel vise on the mill bed.
I am on the welding bench

Attachments

• barrel vise.jpg
    barrel vise.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 33
I had the old Davidson barrel vise since I started shooting benchrest in 1980. It served me well swapping barrels. Since I started spinning my own, I found the one piece top has its limitations on occasion unscrewing factory tubes.

I converted the one piece top plate to 2 piece top clamps. Enlarged the holes to allow the plates to pivot somewhat to follow the shank contour. Just like have two vises clamping on the barrel at the same time.

The two other barrel vise are hardly used. I end up with these pursuing the ultimate one, they were not any better than 80s vintage one.

20220913_225854.jpg
20220913_225940.jpg
20220913_230137.jpg

Last edited: