New Barrel Vise, it’s been a slow day….

So I have had a rather slow day today and I decided to whip up a new barrel vise. I've needed a new one for a while and I wasn't going to spend several hundred dollars on a good one when I can make it myself

Main body is 6061 aluminum and has steel inserts for both the mounting bolts and clamping studs. Grade 8 3/4-16 threaded rod was used to apply the clamping pressure to the barrel. Threads are formed the full 2.5" of the lower block and 3/4" extended length nuts are used up top.

Center bore is 1.5" and I am making bushings for specific barrels as I need them. The one in it is for a Carbon 6 Tikka Pre fit, 1.135" (.010" oversize for tape to protect the shank)

Just thought I'd share.
I would not buy one either since you have to tools and lathes abd knowledge to build one as good as you would pay several hundred dollars for.It a nice looking one.Thanks for sharing.

Nice looking project. Do you think you have less money in to making it versus if you bought it?

I'm assuming materials alone isn't exactly cheap.

For me, I didn't think your original post was to solicit sales... it seemed like someone who built something and was proud of showing it to everyone.

So I have had a rather slow day today and I decided to whip up a new barrel vise. I've needed a new one for a while and I wasn't going to spend several hundred dollars on a good one when I can make it myself

Main body is 6061 aluminum and has steel inserts for both the mounting bolts and clamping studs. Grade 8 3/4-16 threaded rod was used to apply the clamping pressure to the barrel. Threads are formed the full 2.5" of the lower block and 3/4" extended length nuts are used up top.

Center bore is 1.5" and I am making bushings for specific barrels as I need them. The one in it is for a Carbon 6 Tikka Pre fit, 1.135" (.010" oversize for tape to protect the shank)

Just thought I'd share.
Nice job ! Just wondering if the one piece bushing is the way to go? surely for handling convenience it is.

Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

You may not link to any commercial non-Sponsor website in your signature. You may not include the name of any non-Sponsor business in your Username, Signature or in your Public Profile including the Home Page found there. This rule applies whether or not you are the owner of the business. You may not have a User Name that promotes your business (Bill's Accurate Guns). You may not post a message that is for the purpose of promoting your business with either text or pictures. Non-Sponsors may post replies of a helpful nature that involve topics related to their trade or type of business in response to requests for such general information from other members. Non-Sponsor forum members engaged in a profit making enterprise who receive a direct request for their services or products in a thread may post "PM Sent" or "email sent" and the conduct their business off line.

Sponsors are allowed to post anywhere in the forums.

Nice looking project. Do you think you have less money in to making it versus if you bought it?

I'm assuming materials alone isn't exactly cheap.

For me, I didn't think your original post was to solicit sales... it seemed like someone who built something and was proud of showing it to everyone.
It was never to solicit sales, hence the reason I did not ask people to contact me and did not say I was selling them. When people began to inquire, I honestly did not feel as if responding to them was going to be an issue, apparently I was wrong and now I know.

As far as what I have into it, FAR less than it would cost to purchase something similiar. Bennifits of having a full machine shop.

Nice job ! Just wondering if the one piece bushing is the way to go? surely for handling convenience it is.
Honestly not sure.... Im going to say yes though as the bushing is made for a specific barrel shank and only has an additional .010" clearance for some drywall tape. I think if the bushings were generic and you had a bunch of extra space that was going to crush the bushing, then you would run into issues. I will make custom bushings as I need them, takes a min to change the cad for the ID and off the CNC turning center.

I am not promoting services. I simply posted a project I was working on and people have inquired.

How would you like me to change my username?
I have a barrel vise and didn't have a place to mount it in the new house. My barrel arrived for my 1903-a4 build so I c-clamped it to my boat trailer and it worked. Nice vice hope it fits the boat trailer with out a lot of work. Buy the way I got my ptg reamer in only 5 months

I have used aluminum and steel bushings from Brownells. I use hockey stick tape versus electrical or painters tape on the barrel, it has additional thickness and better adhesion. If a bushing does not quite fit the bbl contour of the bushing use sheet lead or plain old flat lead decoy weight material to fill in the voids. It compresses nicely and seems to work in my experience.
FWIW.

Just thought I'd share.
Beautiful work. 👍👍👍

I used my homemade barrel vise today... no big deal putting on new barrels with 100 foot pounds of torque.

But getting off rusty military barrels with 560 foot pounds takes a long cheater bar and a big beer belly.

Attachments

• 280ai pac nor barrel vise 20220324_045958.jpg
    280ai pac nor barrel vise 20220324_045958.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 71
Unless you are a paid Sponsor you may not do anything on the site designed primarily to promote your own business.

You may not link to any commercial non-Sponsor website in your signature. You may not include the name of any non-Sponsor business in your Username, Signature or in your Public Profile including the Home Page found there. This rule applies whether or not you are the owner of the business. You may not have a User Name that promotes your business (Bill's Accurate Guns). You may not post a message that is for the purpose of promoting your business with either text or pictures. Non-Sponsors may post replies of a helpful nature that involve topics related to their trade or type of business in response to requests for such general information from other members. Non-Sponsor forum members engaged in a profit making enterprise who receive a direct request for their services or products in a thread may post "PM Sent" or "email sent" and the conduct their business off line.

Sponsors are allowed to post anywhere in the forums.

Is this a message to me? Or just for everyone? Ive not promoted anything Im aware of.