New Action What Barrel???

bjlooper

Hi
I just ordered one of Jim Bordens new actions. The bolt face will be for the WSMs. I think I'm going to chamber for the 300WSM I would like to shoot 165gr - 200gr bullets. What twist and which barrel maker do you recomend.
Thanks

You won't go wrong w/Lilja, Hart, Pac-Nor, Kreiger, Rock, Broughton, etc, etc, etc. I don't have as much experience w/them as others, but I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I also just caught Jim as he got home today and got his last Alpine of his first production run (whew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).The Alpine is getting a 6mm Lilja 3 groove 12" twist that Lilja now stocks, (on its way already),for a 6mm AI.And the Timberline will get a Broughton 5C 10" for a 338-300.
I'd agree with BH for choice on your gun with those bullet weights.

[ QUOTE ]
Broughton 5c rifling, 1-11 twist

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Am waiting on one from Tim right now for my competition rifle. 338 Lapua AI with the 5C for the windy days---can hardly wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
would recommend metplat trimming . BH

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the TUBBS meplat trimmer, but I noticed Sinclair now has a new system (and there are a few others). Any recommendations?

Giraud makes the best tools I've found, I think I'll order his meplat trimmer. I have his power trimmer and 50 BMG ogive/OAL measurement gauge.

BTW, I vote for Lilja on barrels.

Yeah---discussed that with several people at the SHOT Show and will be getting one of Daves meplat tools and we will see if the vertical is an issue. I have spent hours discussing this subject and it may be a challenge to say the least. I am going to burn a lot of H1000!!

Dave tooleys tool is good, but so is Kevin Crams at Montour Rifles. Kevins is all SS and I really like it.

I have found that John Buhuys ogive checker from RW Hart($125) on page 19 of their catalog (is the slickest and fastest around. It is also consistent. tried the hand thing with the calipers but was too inconsistent.

BH

OK----Which one----time and effort is a concern but the final product is what is important! Thanks!

This will put you on the spot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.