NEW 6.5 WIN. LONG RANGE MAGNUM!!!

Everyone bagging on new cartridges...why? It's like bagging on new guns. More options are always great and if it gets people shooting and spending money in the gun sport industry then why not?!?!?!?! The only negative is when a cartridge does not take off and you are hard pressed to find factory ammo or brass. I have always wanted a 6.5 cartridge (specifically a 260 rem) but was scared off by the lack of factory ammo, lack of factory rifle (especially ones with a good twist for heavier bullets). Is the 6.5cm better than the 260 nope, likely even a touch worse as far as performance goes BUT rifle availability is way up for the 6.5cm and so is ammo availability compared to other 6.5 cartridges with similar performance so for this reason I am rebarreling a rifle into 6.5CM. Much easier to sell off a 6.5cm than a 260 in my neck of the woods and it is obvious the 6.5cm is here to stay. Just my two cents.
You bring up a good point. The 6.5 creedmoor is offered in a lot of factory rifles, and it's great to see people getting into the sport. This thread was not meant to bash new cartridges. And was also not aimed at people just getting into the sport.

The cartridge I'm talking about has actually been around since 1958. It's a 7mm rem mag case necked down to 6.5 caliber... Some older members might see where I'm going with this.

I'm just curious, with everybody on here talking 6.5's, how has the 264 win mag not come up in more threads?

I understand back in the 1950's it was built to be a flat shooting high performance round, and it was, and still is, but side by side with the popular cartridges of the time, 30-06, 270 win, and 4 years later the 7mm rem mag, it was considered to be a barrel burner. So it faded from memory and was eclipsed by other high performance cartridges that are easier on barrels.

Back to my original question. Today we have the 6.5 prc, 26 nosler, 6.5x300 weatherby, 6.5x300win, and more wildcats than I can list. People are excited when they shoot out a barrel! Now they can try a new brand: proof, bartlien, brux, krieger, and share their experience with all their buddies. So why is the 264 not back on the radar? Because it's not new and shiny?

I'm hoping some old timer has recently looked in the very back corner of their safe, pulled out the old winchester m70 264, whiped the dust off and compared the old trusty stead next to the new flat shooting 6.5's of 2018.

If Remington made their Sendero SF II 264 Win Mag with a 1:8 twist barrel I would own one. Its tough finding a factory 264 with a fast enough twist to stabilize these heavy for caliber high BC bullets....

If Remington made their Sendero SF II 264 Win Mag with a 1:8 twist barrel I would own one. Its tough finding a factory 264 with a fast enough twist to stabilize these heavy for caliber high BC bullets....
They already make the right barrels for other chamberings... Imagine a 5R Milspec Gen2 with a 5/8x24 threaded 26" 1:8 twist chambered for .264 WinMag. I'd buy one just for the hell of it.

I kicked around the idea of a .264 Win Mag a few years back when all of the new long range 6.5 bullets started coming out. The issue is that every single factory rifle I found had a 9 twist in it which limited my bullet options. If they had an 8 I would probably own a Westerner or one of the new maple model 70's but instead my only option is to build one.

So since I'm now kicking around building a sub 10 pound hunting rifle in some flavor of 6.5mm to compliment my 20 pound .300 WM target rifle and my 13 pound 6.5 Creedmoor what are some realistic velocity numbers for the .264 WM with 120ish gr Monos(CE, Hammer) and the 143gr ELD-X?

You bring up a good point. The 6.5 creedmoor is offered in a lot of factory rifles, and it's great to see people getting into the sport. This thread was not meant to bash new cartridges. And was also not aimed at people just getting into the sport.

Unfortunately, the naysayers will do just that. I have the nostalgic 6.5x55 Swede and the much hated 6 5 CM and currently in parts acquisition mode for a suppressed. 264 WM build. The barrel will be a 1:7" 22-24".

don't worry Mud it has 6.5 in tread title it wont be long before all the internet experts and keyboard commandos will be here to drive you nuts :eek::D

6.5 creedmoor is better than everything....

(Drops mic and leaves the thread)

I've had a SF2 for a few years now. It is more accurate than me, with a Jewell trigger installed. I will rebarrel with an 8 twist when needed. It was in my price range which is why I bought it. I have not been disappointed , except for the X-Mark of coarse.
However, I have been looking at some 6.5 CMs that would be more economical just for targets and steel.

You realize these "new designed cartridges" were around starting way back in the 1940's and 1950's, right? P.O. Ackley started making AI cartridges back then. All Hornady is doing is reheating past designs and characteristics. Nothing new here folks. ;)

What good reason would there be for Rich to use belted cartridges? The design best suited for parent cases for his cartridges happened to not be belted...Therefore they don't have belts. It's that simple. You don't add a belt to a non-belted cartridge, just like you don't remove a belted from a belted cartridge. It's superfluous work.

haha you should do your research as Weatherby did add a belt to the 240 Wby Mag case which I happen to own one.....and yes it shoots extremely well even with factory ammo !
If these new case designs were around back then P.O. Ackley would have been out of a job....pretty simple really.

you and I both know that for general hunting purposes any of the cartridges work. just fine, one of the most consistently accurate rifles Ive owned was a belted cartridge.

Just nice to see a cartridge like the 6.5CM forcing you guys to realize just how good of a design it is, doesn't matter what platform they stuff it in it works, kind of like the 6.5x47 Lapua arguably one of the best designed 6.5 cartridges on the planet

Funny I didn't see Rich improving the 300 win mag but he sure jumped on the new 300 PRC in a hurry :po_O which of course is just a wildcat of Rugers cartridge !

I don't care if it's old school and belted, I've got all my parts + 2- 7.5 twist Bartlein #3 barrels going to WTO, Jan 1st. I really like my 6.5 Sherman, it will do anything the .264wm can do, but have long wanted a 264 built with enough freebore. My Christmas gift to me.

Here is one I once considered.

Attachments

• 264-257 Weatherby JGS Reamer Print.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 183
haha you should do your research as Weatherby did add a belt to the 240 Wby Mag case which I happen to own one.....and yes it shoots extremely well even with factory ammo !
If these new case designs were around back then P.O. Ackley would have been out of a job....pretty simple really.

you and I both know that for general hunting purposes any of the cartridges work. just fine, one of the most consistently accurate rifles Ive owned was a belted cartridge.

Just nice to see a cartridge like the 6.5CM forcing you guys to realize just how good of a design it is, doesn't matter what platform they stuff it in it works, kind of like the 6.5x47 Lapua arguably one of the best designed 6.5 cartridges on the planet

Funny I didn't see Rich improving the 300 win mag but he sure jumped on the new 300 PRC in a hurry :po_O which of course is just a wildcat of Rugers cartridge !
When did I say that Weatherby didn't add a belt? I never said anything about adding a belt. I said people who design cartridges don't add one when it's not necessary, and don't remove it when it's not necessary. Roy Weatherby might have added one, but that's a bit redundant. I never said they don't shoot well... Where is this argument coming from? I'm genuinely confused by your comments.

Look it up bud... P.O. Ackley start wildcatting in the 1940's and 1950's. Facts is facts. And why would he be out of a job? He designed them all.

I own belted and non-belted cartridges, I'm one of the few people who have said it makes no difference in performance or reloading, as long as you know how to setup your dies properly. Not sure where your point is going with that one, either...

Why would he try to reinvent one of the 50,000 other wildcats based off the .300 WinMag? That would be stupid. Of course he would go to the PRC case, it's "new" and relatively unknown to folks who don't wildcat... Therefore he actually has a place to leave his mark.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.