NEW 6.5 WIN. LONG RANGE MAGNUM!!!

In our area there is a good following of the 264 win but a lot of people don't like the belt or know how to reload it for accuracy they would rather just go with the latest and greatest even though it's right up there in performance I don't have one at the moment but might in the future it's always fun to go shooting with friends that shoot the greatest thing ever and kick there but with an old timer lol just my 2 cents

I like the comments of "sable tireur". My first rifles, I saved and delayed gradification until I could purchase two .264 Win Mags, both Model 70s built in 1959. One had a stainless barrel that was plated and then the plating was blued (It pealed and made it ugly) and one with a "chrome moly" barrel. I thought the interest in the .264 Win Mag in the last decade would make a lot of used .264 Win Mags available on Gun Broker and Guns America. I looked last year and the pickin's were sparse. Thanks to Layne Simpson, the .264 Win Mag has enjoyed great glowing press it did not get in the 1950s and 1960s. People like these rifles and hold on to them.

I think it's kinda sad that the old 30-03 that came out around 1903 and was slightly modified in 1906 to the 30-06 is more than capable of matching any ballistics of these new hunting cartridges. The 264 win mag is a good round too. These younger fools running around thinking the 6.5 creed is the bees knees are just ignorant. I'd had a young man at the gun range a few weeks ago tell me his ruger precision rifle was bore sighted at 1000 yards so if he had a place to shoot that far he could make it happen. How ignorant can you be? These people look at advertisements and whole heartily believe them.

All aspects of the new cases are better, steeper shoulder angle, longer case neck, more efficient case design

I don't see Rich using these old belted magnums for his cartridges and for good reason

I could be driving a 1950s designed truck but nope I like the new design truck, same thing with new more efficient designed cartridges, I like them.
;)
You realize these "new designed cartridges" were around starting way back in the 1940's and 1950's, right? P.O. Ackley started making AI cartridges back then. All Hornady is doing is reheating past designs and characteristics. Nothing new here folks. ;)

What good reason would there be for Rich to use belted cartridges? The design best suited for parent cases for his cartridges happened to not be belted...Therefore they don't have belts. It's that simple. You don't add a belt to a non-belted cartridge, just like you don't remove a belted from a belted cartridge. It's superfluous work.

All aspects of the new cases are better, steeper shoulder angle, longer case neck, more efficient case design

I don't see Rich using these old belted magnums for his cartridges and for good reason

I could be driving a 1950s designed truck but nope I like the new design truck, same thing with new more efficient designed cartridges, I like them.
;)

And yet the accuracy and velocity is still equal...but the newer one is better? Okay...keep telling yourself that.

Rich uses newer cartridges to run higher pressures...but he only reinvented what Ackley did in the 50's...right? Nothing "new" has been done in a long long time.

I guess you should change your name...unless you've never seen a Weatherby cartridge?!? lol

And yet the accuracy and velocity is still equal...but the newer one is better? Okay...keep telling yourself that.

Rich uses newer cartridges to run higher pressures...but he only reinvented what Ackley did in the 50's...right? Nothing "new" has been done in a long long time.

I guess you should change your name...unless you've never seen a Weatherby cartridge?!? lol
All of Roy's cartridges were based off his original designs that are over 80 years old... Super-modern cartridges right there! Especially his motto of "just stuff more powder behind it, and put a smooth runway in front of it, and she won't blow up...I hope." :cool:

I'm being sarcastic about the motto (that's not real), but that is basically the function idea behind his cartridges and why they have such large capacities, and so much freebore.

I feel like I'm seeing it pop up more and more. (At least subjectively) it seems as popular as the 6.5-300 win, 6.5-06 and maybe the weatherby but it's getting an uptick with the new factory stuff.

Of course 26 Nosler is talked about more than any of them and prc is coming up quick it seems.

Winchester isn't cool any more (or really their own company) But FN is a good company, making good firearms down in SC. If FN would drop into the prs/hunting rifle game and make "match grade" fancy ammo that was easy like Hornady they could possibly resurrect the 264 win mag. It would be a stretch because theres not much point anymore, Nosler already got that pie and theres not a lot the 264 does significantly better than the Nosler.

Fact of the matter is people that own 264 win mags dont make up a market share, they don't buy guns they have guns barreled/built. They dont buy ammo they load there own... wheres the money? How are you going to convince people they need it.

I would love to see it take off, It would work well in a Tikka platform. I think 6.5-284 has a better shot though.

JM, if Lapua would just hurry up and get their head dies for the belted magnum cartridges, they could make the best belted magnum brass on the planet...It would also resurrect a lot of cartridges in popularity, as well. That includes the .264WM, 7mmRM, 7mmSTW, .257/.270/7mm/300 Wby, etc... Anything based off the original .375 H&H.

I've been very happy with Nosler, but I will tell you this, if Lapua made some brass for some of these cartridges, I would buy some just to try it out.

JM, if Lapua would just hurry up and get their head dies for the belted magnum cartridges, they could make the best belted magnum brass on the planet...That includes .264WM, 7mmRM, 7mmSTW, .257/.270/7mm/300 Wby, etc... Anything based off the original .375 H&H.

I've been very happy with Nosler, but I will tell you this, if Lapua made some brass for some of these cartridges, I would buy some just to try it out.

Has Nosler brass gotten better? I feel like i remembered when I was first building my rifle considering 28N and just hearing all about how soft Nosler brass was and how it was a pain.

Maybe now that Lapua owns Berger we could get a "6.5 Lapua tactical" That is just a 264 win mag and load it up with 120 grainers and say it matches the nosler just like the nonsense that 33 nosler is a 338 L equal

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.