New 338 NM Build and Load Work Up Advice

I achieved very similar results from my 338 RUM and H1000. Only difference is that my rifle HATED H1000. So I switched to RL26 and the 285 ELD-M. I'm getting right at 2860 fps and an SD of 5 and ES of 10 with a .020" jump. Accuracy seems to be out of this world at 100 yards but still need to verify at distance. I also like the ELD over the Berger for low velocity performance on game. Might be worth a good look. Best of luck

I achieved very similar results from my 338 RUM and H1000. Only difference is that my rifle HATED H1000. So I switched to RL26 and the 285 ELD-M. I'm getting right at 2860 fps and an SD of 5 and ES of 10 with a .020" jump. Accuracy seems to be out of this world at 100 yards but still need to verify at distance. I also like the ELD over the Berger for low velocity performance on game. Might be worth a good look. Best of luck

Those are great velocities and a great SD! I'm looking forward to running a ladder test!

I have a 300 Norma improved, I know it's not a 338 Norma but I will tell you the Lapua brass is the only way to go.

I have been wanting to try Lapua brass for some time now but still have had no luck in finding any. I did grab some Peterson brass to try though.

I ran a ladder test today using RL-26 and 285gr Hornady ELD-M. I saw pressure earlier than what most others do as was expected as I seem to have a tight barrel compared to most. In the past when using H1000 where most can load 300gn Bergers on top of 87-88gn of powder with no issue, I see pressure (sticky bolt) at ~ 86.0gn and 2700fps. Today's experiment with RL-26 was similar. I saw some clusters with shots 1-3, 5-7, and 8-7. Do do sticky bolt I may have to settle with load development in 83gn range and a velocity of ~2790fps. I honestly was hoping to see something in the 2850fps range with this weight bullet before I got pressure signs. The ladder test results are below.

338 NM
285 grain Hornady ELD-M
Reloader 26
Fed 215M
Once fired Norma brass
400 yards.

2.824" to ogive (0.020" jump)

1) 82.0gn - 2762 fps
2) 82.4gn - 2763 fps
3) 82.8gn - 2772 fps
4) 83.2gn - 2789 fps
5) 83.6gn - 2824 fps - slight sticky bolt?
6) 84.0gn - 2822 fps
7) 84.4gn - 2830 fps - sticky bolt
8) 84.8gn - 2841 fps - sticky bolt
9) 85.2gn - 2859 fps - sticky bolt and stopped.

Possibly my new Peterson brass will allow higher velocities than the Norma has so far?

Last edited:
I know about 4 guys local and all ran up to the max I mentioned with similar results.2 guys work at Defiance and have Bartliens and shoot 300 AB.Another friend shoot 250 Scenars,and a few us the 300 otm. We did much better on velocity. Its still a hammer though so id just roll with what shoots.My friend w/scenars taken about 20 elk with that,many knocking on 1000. My reloading sound like yours,norma brass also.At one time maybe when I tried some 285's,but started seeing a donut.So I just skimmed them with my KM.Had a local record setting bench guy go over my brass and loaded round.To see if a custom die worth it and he said it looked good for neck tension. I've had good luck with my brass ,so hate to change. My ammo most is really concentric also

Last edited:
I know about 4 guys local and all ran up to the max I mentioned with similar results.2 guys work at Defiance and have Bartliens and shoot 300 AB.Another friend shoot 250 Scenars,and a few us the 300 otm. We did much better on velocity. Its still a hammer though so id just roll with what shoots.My friend w/scenars taken about 20 elk with that,many knocking on 1000.

I agree. I am happy with the accuracy and the velocity isn't too bad. I was just hoping for a little more so that I was on par with the others here. My current go to load with H1000 and 300gn OTM shoots great groups at 100 yards and today with winds gusting from 8-16 mph I was able to put down a 5.75" group at 700 yards.

Have you tried any different primers? CCI gave me sd-5 and es-10. Fed GMM gave me an extra 50 fps but sd-11 and es-23. Could be worth a try

Have you tried any different primers? CCI gave me sd-5 and es-10. Fed GMM gave me an extra 50 fps but sd-11 and es-23. Could be worth a try

I have not but you bring up a good point. In the past when I worked loads up with RL-33 the velocity was great and no pressure but the SD's were around 20 vs single digits with H1000. This was with Fed 215M. I will try some CCI primers I have with the RL-33 and see what shakes out. As frustrating as load development can be at times I do really enjoy the process!

Based of of my ladder test from the other day I loaded up some rounds with RL26 and the 285gr Hornady ELD's. I shot some three shot groups at 100 yards and got some decent results. The attached target was the best of the three loads I tested but all three were solid over all. I may try the RL26 with the 300gr Berger OTM's. Possibly it will produce better velocities without the early pressure signs H1000 gives me.

IMG_4602 (1).jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.