New 270 boondoggle wildcat testing

Twist rate can be your friend,,, or it can sink the ship,,, that and many other factors need to aline when building a cartridge,,, we have 4 custom wild-cat builders in our area that could make it work...

One of the fellows uses the tech dude in California for design specs when building,,, as I mentioned,,, you were onto the right path getting it going...

Pretty that someone will step in to carry out the project...

I'm doing the American 6.5 A-square based on the Newton idea,,, so far so good as I continue my load development

I'll go ahead and call you out on this one. Please list the load and barrel length you used to get those numbers as well as which chronograph you're using.

No problem...

28", Benchmark, 1-9 twist. Magnetospeed chrono. Standard 270 WBY chamber, Mausingfield action.

Running the SST 130s with H1000. Just doing a pressure check. 80gr of H1000 3 shot group ave 3649fps, ES 13. Only had one loaded with 81gr H1000 (I thought I would of hit pressure signs by then) shot at 3712 fps

Same with the 140 SSTs...shot ave 3567fps, ES 10 with 79gr H1000. Had one cartridge loaded with 80gr of H1000 and that one hit 3609fps.

170gr Berger EOL, 72gr RL26, 3225fps (this is my hunting load). With 5 shot groups this loads averages an ES between 8 and 10. COAL 3.5"

The usual stuff...my gun, my loads...work up low to these loads...

No problem...

28", Benchmark, 1-9 twist. Magnetospeed chrono. Standard 270 WBY chamber, Mausingfield action.

Running the SST 130s with H1000. Just doing a pressure check. 80gr of H1000 3 shot group ave 3649fps, ES 13. Only had one loaded with 81gr H1000 (I thought I would of hit pressure signs by then) shot at 3712 fps

Same with the 140 SSTs...shot ave 3567fps, ES 10 with 79gr H1000. Had one cartridge loaded with 80gr of H1000 and that one hit 3609fps.

170gr Berger EOL, 72gr RL26, 3225fps (this is my hunting load). With 5 shot groups this loads averages an ES between 8 and 10. COAL 3.5"

The usual stuff...my gun, my loads...work up low to these loads...

Thanks. Those loads are about what I expected for those velocities.

Longtooth32,
Those are some pretty impressive numbers. How accurate are the 170's with that 1-9t? I know you said that was your hunting load. MOA or better?
I would like to try RL26 and Retumbo in my .270AM with the 169.5 Wildcats and 170gn Bergers but have no idea where to begin. I have looked hard at the 7RUM's loading info with 168/175gn bullets but it isn't quiet the same. Was hoping the 270 BoonDoggle would give me some insight as it's very close to the AM in case capacity. Any idea's or thoughts? (both Longtooth32 and yorke-1)

Longtooth32,
Those are some pretty impressive numbers. How accurate are the 170's with that 1-9t? I know you said that was your hunting load. MOA or better?
I would like to try RL26 and Retumbo in my .270AM with the 169.5 Wildcats and 170gn Bergers but have no idea where to begin. I have looked hard at the 7RUM's loading info with 168/175gn bullets but it isn't quiet the same. Was hoping the 270 BoonDoggle would give me some insight as it's very close to the AM in case capacity. Any idea's or thoughts? (both Longtooth32 and yorke-1)

I believe my 170 round is sub MOA...Pic of target at about 925 yrds...

Bi-pod and rear bags shooting from the bed of my pick-up....

Long 270.jpg

I normally shoot at 5000' ASL...

However had the same result at less than 1500'...

I really cannot help you with load data...you and Yorke have huge case capacities...

Last edited:
Longtooth32,

I tried both Reloader 33 and Retumbo with the 170 Berger and 168gr Hammer Hunter in the Boondoggle. With Reloader 33 I started at 90.0gr and worked up to 98.0 which was pretty hot, but probably doable. With Retumbo I started at 85.0gr and worked up to 92.0gr.

I think Reloader 26 is too fast to get a good case fill with the 170s before you pressure out. I haven't personally played with it yet, but Ramshot LRT might be worth trying too. The sharp shoulder on your 270 Allen Mag may not play well with an extruded powder like Retumbo.

I tried both Reloader 33 and Retumbo with the 170 Berger and 168gr Hammer Hunter in the Boondoggle. With Reloader 33 I started at 90.0gr and worked up to 98.0 which was pretty hot, but probably doable. With Retumbo I started at 85.0gr and worked up to 92.0gr.

I think Reloader 26 is too fast to get a good case fill with the 170s before you pressure out. I haven't personally played with it yet, but Ramshot LRT might be worth trying too. The sharp shoulder on your 270 Allen Mag may not play well with an extruded powder like Retumbo.

Thanks, that is what I needed. And yes, I know what you mean about not playing well. Both Kirby and Roy (in Idaho) warned of powder bridging with extruded's. I will proceed with caution.

Yorke-1 i have a 27 Nosler 1-8 benchmark that has been wonderful not quite your boondoggle, what i found with mine was that anything closer than .04 ish depending on bullet would not shoot better than 1.5moa. That and the Berger 170 didn't like anything above 3100. But the 156 hammer at 3300 is the best i found so far. The 150 Nosler ablr did great as well.

Last edited:
I do have an update, but it's not a good one. After almost 300 rounds fired between the two barrels, they still won't do better than 1.5 MOA. I've tried 6 bullets, 4 powders, 3 primers, 3 different stocks and 4 scopes and they still just won't shoot. There was always erratic stringing that I just couldn't figure out. When I get the same erratic results with two different barrels from two different manufacturers, something's going on. Both barrel manufacturers actually reached out to me about the accuracy issues, which says a lot about both Broughton and K&P.

Now add to that a barrel cut with the wrong twist (7.5" instead of the requested 7") so that the 168 Hammer was hitting sideways at 100 yards. That barrel went back K&P to be inspected and replaced. Unfortunately my timing is bad and the barrel went back right in the middle of competition season so Ken at K&P spends more time on the road than in the shop.

I eventually found the problem, the bolt nose clearance had been cut improperly on both barrels. It wasn't very obvious at first but once I noticed it everything made sense. There's an imprint on the breech face of both barrels that matches the bolt nose of the Nucleus action.

Ultimately my solution was to just dump the whole project, take it as a learning experience and move on. I cut the threads off of the Bartlein and gave it to a buddy to build a 270 WSM which is shooting great for him. When the replacement 1-7" twist K&P barrel gets back I'll probably just sell it as a package deal along with my 270 RUM reamer and the box of 168 Hammer Hunters. I'm sure I could have sent the barrels back to have the bolt clearance issue fixed but I lost my momentum on this project and just moved on. I just put my 6.5 Badger barrel back on this action and called it good.
Hey there york, I know I'm bringing an old thread back up, I'm curious if you still have the 168 Hammers?
I'm building a 270 WSM around them and would gladly buy them from you...
Thanks

This project started over a year ago and there have been a couple "complications, setbacks and minor inconveniences" along the way, but it's pretty much done and now it's time for the fun part. The initial cartridge design was based off of the 375 Ruger case but after the reamer broke while chambering the barrel, it was necessary to "adapt". What I ended up with essentially a 27 Nosler that's been lengthened by .130" so that it has the base to shoulder measurement of a 338 RUM case but the shoulder diameter and 35° shoulder angle of the 27 Nosler. The idea was to allow the use of ADG's 338 RUM brass (or any other RUM brass properly modified) but still be able to use 27 Nosler dies to neck size and bump the shoulder while waiting for custom dies to be made. Forming brass only requires necking a 338 RUM case down to 270, I used 300 SAUM and 270 WSM dies then annealed the brass before sizing it in a 27 Nosler die until the bolt closed on each case with a slight crush fit. The shoulder diameter and angle are completely formed after the first firing. Here's a 338 RUM case next to a once fired 27 Boondoggle case.
tGrg0gD.jpg

The specs on the build right now:
- ARC Nucleus action
- 28" Broughton 1-8.5" twist heavy varmint barrel
- 25" K&P 1-7" twist #5 heavy sporter
- Timney CE 2.5# trigger
- Stocky's VG2 stock w/Wyatt's bottom metal

The final specs on the build will still change as I decide what scope/trigger/stock I want. I don't hate the VG2 stock that it's in right now but the gun won't stay in there for long. I'm trying to find a sporter style stock that I like for the 25" barrel as well.

Here's a picture with a once fired 27 Boondoggle case next to some other cases for comparison. I couldn't find any 270 Weatherby or 270 WSM brass in my pile so I used a 300 WSM and 7mm Weatherby for comparison since they're both the same basic dimensions as their 270 counterparts.

s2537hK.jpg

270 Win, 300 WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby, 27 Boondoggle

These are the expected performance numbers from the 28" barrel. The 25" barrel will likely be 75-100 fps slower.

130gr: 3600 fps
140gr: 3500 fps
150gr: 3400 fps
170gr: 3200 fps

Here are the velocity results from today's testing. This was one shot at each powder charge while looking for max pressure.

Temp: 38°
Bullet: 145gr Hornady ELDx
OAL: 3.530"
Barrel: 28" Broughton 1-8.5"
Powder: Retumbo
Primer: Fed 215
Brass: ADG 338 RUM

90.0gr: 3489 fps
91.0gr: 3489 fps
92.0gr: 3541 fps
93.0gr: 3610 fps
94.0gr: 3626 fps

-------------------------------------------------------

Temp: 38°
Bullet: 145gr Hornady ELDx
OAL: 3.530"
Barrel: 28" Broughton 1-8.5"
Powder: IMR 7828
Primer: Fed 215
Brass: ADG 338 RUM

80.0gr: 3318 fps
81.0gr: 3337 fps
82.0gr: 3378 fps
83.0gr: 3411 fps
84.0gr: 3491 fps
85.0gr: 3484 fps
86.0gr: 3536 fps
87.0gr: 3551 fps
88.0gr: 3616 fps

The flat spots you see in the velocity in both the Retumbo (between 90 and 91gr) and IMR 7828 data (between 84 and 85gr) correspond with shots fired from a clean barrel. The barrel was cleaned after the 84.0gr and 88.0gr IMR 7828 charges and then the 90.0gr charge of Retumbo was fired.

I stopped shooting with both powders once I started to feel resistance on the primary extraction when opening the bolt. The 88.0gr charge of IMR 7828 would be a workable max charge. The 93.0gr charge of Retumbo would be a working max and I consider the 94.0gr charge of Retumbo too hot. The velocities I got are consistently 100 fps faster than what Quickload predicted, but the pressures seem to track pretty close. Based on this I feel pretty good about trusting the Quickload predictions.

From a function standpoint, everything worked great. All rounds were fed out of a 300 Win Mag AICS pattern magazine. The more I use the ARC Nucleus action, the more I like it. Feeding is incredibly smooth and ejection is perfect allowing me to either pull the case out of the action by hand or I can cycle the bolt fast and launch the brass 3 feet away.
Very Nice! I can tell you that 3200 with the 170 grain will be hard to beat ballistically. And an extremely lethal combo. I push 180 elds to around 3180 fps in a 28" 7mm stw with n570 and no pressure signs what so ever and you have a bit more case capacity than I do plus your bullet is 10 gr lighter. I could see you finding a node around 3260fps with the 170 and possibly still being at safe pressure with the right powder. And honestly, at those velocities with that much BC, your ES doesn't necessarily have to be in the single digits if you are grouping good. A Cool round for sure!

Just thought I'd give an update on this. I took a break from this project after it went sideways over and over again, but decided to bring it back for one last try. I finally settled on a 140gr Sierra Gamechanger and a healthy dose of Reloader 33 for a velocity of 3560 fps from the 25" barrel. Accuracy is good enough for a 9# hunting rifle shot off of shooting sticks. This is an average group out of the 6 I shot today at 250 yards, some were better some were worse but they were all under .75 MOA.
MLzfl1I.jpg

The 140 Gamechanger wasn't my first choice for a bullet but I have no doubt it will kill stuff out to 7-800 yards in this setup. I'll just have to watch those close up shots; these things are a frag grenade when they impact at 3400 fps! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.