Needed: LRH Paradise input

varmintH8R

I am a disgruntled flatlander from MI who has completely fallen in love with the West. I am pretty much stuck on this side of the country due to work, but I am ready to pull the trigger on some hunting/recreation property in Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. Problem - this effectively narrows me down to about 328,426 square miles :rolleyes:. I am overwhelmed and need some first hand wisdom.

Here is basically what I would hope to find:

======40 to 160 acres

======preferably adjoining to public land (pros/cons of this?)

======some elevation / terrain (LR shooting opportunities!)

======Elk and Muleys, within a few hours drive of some speedgoats

======Someday I will retire here, so the ability to build a decent cabin, access to electricity, within 45 minutes of some type of civilization would be nice. But not a deal killer . . .

If you have input on specific counties or regions to look at, places to potentially avoid, weird taxes or regulations, things to be wary of, or any other pertinent knowledge, I am all ears.

I am hoping to get input from some locals - I promise I am not a crappy neighbor. Or a nutty PETA-type.

Thanks!

You will find that land is less expensive in WY and MT. Both have a lot of public land with open spaces for shooting. They also have wildlife programs that are run reasonable well. ID can't claim those same bragging rights (IMO). I live in AZ. Land in the higher elevations, even remote land, is still expensive. And with big population centers, it is getting harder and harder to find a place for LR shooting. I have my eye on WY a few years down the road myself.

AZ,

Thanks for the response. I will definitely put your comments to use. Anywhere specifically in WY you are in love with? Generally, of course - not lookin' to steal your future paradise :D

Enough land for all of us. It really depends on what you want to hunt. The West & SW have the Rockies and the most opportunity for various species of game. Anything in far east WY near Black Hills will be too expensive. Middle WY has lots of space and reasonable prices. Think the Breaks or river bottom for deer (both mulies & whitetails), with occasional elk and antelope. You could get lots of antelope, depending on terrain. Lots of steams that hold trout as well.

As I get older, my idea of a great piece of land keeps changing. I think less of the hard core hunting and more about better opportunities to hunt. For me, it's more about what I can do with the grandkids. Easy access to deer, antelope and trout tends to trump any trophy potential a piece of land may hold. Amount of winter snow, access to Costco and proximity to cultural events, airport (grandkids) and hospital tend to be on my wife's list.

I am a disgruntled flatlander from MI who has completely fallen in love with the West. I am pretty much stuck on this side of the country due to work, but I am ready to pull the trigger on some hunting/recreation property in Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. Problem - this effectively narrows me down to about 328,426 square miles :rolleyes:. I am overwhelmed and need some first hand wisdom.

Here is basically what I would hope to find:

======40 to 160 acres

======preferably adjoining to public land (pros/cons of this?)

======some elevation / terrain (LR shooting opportunities!)

======Elk and Muleys, within a few hours drive of some speedgoats

======Someday I will retire here, so the ability to build a decent cabin, access to electricity, within 45 minutes of some type of civilization would be nice. But not a deal killer . . .

If you have input on specific counties or regions to look at, places to potentially avoid, weird taxes or regulations, things to be wary of, or any other pertinent knowledge, I am all ears.

I am hoping to get input from some locals - I promise I am not a crappy neighbor. Or a nutty PETA-type.

Thanks!

In Montana, what you are looking for is going to be generally East of the divide. Basically the central third of the state.

Craigslist has a lot of good listings and my advise would be to find a realtor.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.