I need some input.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by montana bob, Oct 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. montana bob

montana bob Well-Known Member

I bought a new rifle this year. A factory long range hunting rifle chambered in 7mm mag. I've hand loaded for many years and done very well with sorting out what works and what doesn't for my rifles. I'm perplexed with this one. I can't get a good solid MOA or less with it and when something appears to work when my first two shots are touching all of a sudden the next three climb in a verticle line about 2 1/2 inches straight up. I switched out bases and scopes and it does the same thing. I've tried many different loads, different bullet weights, different powders, different charges, different OAL's. Any Idea's besides I might have gotten a lemon. This is supposed to be a very good rifle.

2. montana bob

The barrel is floated up to the recoil lug.

David Lindler likes this.
  3. aushunter1

aushunter1 Well-Known Member

Just an idea but do you work on a particular torque setting with the action screws?

I would check that & also maybe play with the torque a bit with the best performing loads you have & see how that goes

If that doesn't work there I have found bedding the action & recoil lug area can make a big difference as well.

What rifle is it anyway, this info could help us in helping you!

Also to add, I know you are saying you are a well versed reloader but what are these loads saying over a chrony??

If you have a high SD this could be the issue.
    Are you getting consistent neck tension with your dies/brass?

There is a lot of things it could be so maybe make a list & tick them off as you go.

Barrel heating to much?
    Brass need annealing?
    Case prep all consistent?
    Stock flex?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  4. nmbarta

nmbarta Well-Known Member

have you done a ladder test?
    two close shots and then a couple flyers might indicate that your at the top of your node, the next rounds are soaking in a hot chamber and pushing you out of your node.
    Is the action bedded?

Andrew Cowling and nicholasjohn like this.
  5. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

I would first find a load that gives consistent velocities. Ideally you’re looking for an extreme spread of 20fps or less for 5-10 shots. Then from there work on seating depth. Find your lands, seat 3 each off from 0.010 off to 0.060 off. Shoot those for groups. Pick out the best group, then fine tune that seat length in or out by 0.002 until you get the best group.

montana bob likes this.
  6. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Have you shot factory loads? If so was there an accuracy difference? I wouldn’t assume it’s the rifle or the handloads until you can prove one or the other..

7. Lee Goodwin

Lee Goodwin Well-Known Member

Maybe your bullets are too heavy or too light.? My 270 does something similar with 180 grain Woodleighs. First shot 4 inches high at 100 then two or three on target and clover leafed. Cold barrel stringing?

8. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

You have a barrel problem would be my guess by the way it’s walking

Andrew Cowling and montana bob like this.
  9. montana bob

This is a browning rifle and the lug comes bedded. I normally bed all my actions with Devcon. Thanks for the input. I guess it's time to invest in a Torque wrench.

10. montana bob

It's a
    It's a Browning Rifle, it was sent out with the recoil lug bedded. I normally bed all my actions with Devcon.

11. montana bob

I called Brown

12. montana bob

Yes, I bought a box of factory yesterday and shot some this morning with no difference.

13. montana bob

14. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like the barrel is heating up and bending causing the shots to walk.

Andrew Cowling and NorCalRiceGuy like this.