Painting a stock-input needed

crittrgittr

I'm going to be painting a stock and was wondering what kind of advice any of you might have. Do any of you have pics of your projects and what works best? I''m thinking of a grey base seeing I hunt mostly in oaks. Thanks for any input.

I painted a rusty 870. It turned out okay. I would suggest starting with the lightest color first and the darkest last. I started with tan, then green and finished dark brown. You would probably start with a gray.

I've done several. Webbing is a easy job. Put on 3-5 coats of your grey, then web, then 3-5 coats of matte clear. Make sure practice with the webbing first as it comes out kinda goofy if your not used to it. If you wanna get crazy you can get some stencils. My son wanted a digital camo and I homemade some stencils. It came out ok, but would have been easier to just buy the stencils. If you just want solid, go for it. It's really not that hard.
Good luck!

I painted a rusty 870. It turned out okay. I would suggest starting with the lightest color first and the darkest last. I started with tan, then green and finished dark brown. You would probably start with a gray.
Yep.

Cerakote sand base and plastikote flat camo black shaded in on top.

Hunting in oaks depending on the type you might want to go with something like a flat dark earth and then sniper gray and charcoal.

2011-08-30_17-01-07_430.jpg

I did this with just Krylon. Started with the brown, then did black, olive green stripes to break it up even more, then light light tan as highlights on the "branches" which would work nicely for the oaks. This was my first job, and i just followed the steps highlighted on the forums here. it's like "how to paint a rifle stock" or something. Like i said, far from pro, but effective none the less. just have fun with it. best thing about Krylon, you can re-do it.
Nimrod

I forgot to mention it is synthetic. Thanx for all the responses. Sure are some cool paint jobs you all did. Please keep them coming.

I have done a couple of guns but dont have pics taken yet. Good advice already I would add that the last color you lay down will be the dominant color. This is important if you use more than two colors because as you use the stencils all you are seeing is the last color you apply.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.