Need to shoot Problem black bear at night to save beehives

Put up a couple motion activated lites.20$
Be ready to shoot.
Body shot.
go home find him in a.m.
Like these
D5D1F661-8111-41B6-BE42-ABF014E52E7F.png

Then if it were me along with these solar lights , I would make a bunch of sandwiches, and park the bee truck pointed at hives , about 50 yds away , then when solar lights come on , turn truck headlights on and shoot him in the face .
The sandwiches are for you to eat while waiting

Man, why all the hate on thermals?!
I bought an iRay Rico Bravo and I love it.
There is absolutely no comparison to a thermal weapon sight vs spotlights, game lights, hell even daylight with a day scope isn't as absolutely easy mode as a thermal. In your case (no specific target ID, any huge quadruped in your target area is a valid target) a thermal will be unbeatable. You can see heat signature through grass and most brush, footprints glow for up to half a minute, this critter absolutely will not be able to hide from you. Even better you won't have to rush, you can take as long as you want for the right shot.
It will be worth the ~$3500 after your bear is gone just for the occasional raccoon that is to smart for its own good, coyote etc… plus you really learn more about the world we live in when you observe it via heat emissions.

You can always just rent a thermal scope for a few days. They are absolutely awesome. I've used them hunting hogs at night and rent one every year. Why spend thousands when you can rent it for a fraction the cost. You can sit as far away as your comfortable and take him out easily.

So, here's the deal, I'm a commercial beekeeper with hundreds of beehives in the mountains. We spend a lot of time and money building electric fences to keep bears away from our bees. Unfortunately, now and then, we get bears that don't care if they get shocked and go right through the fence and destroy our beehives anyway. Dealing with such a bear right now, a BIG one. Normally I can get a Hunter to harvest it but this bear only comes in the middle of the night and he can't take it after dark. I, on the other hand, have permission to shoot it anytime to protect my bees. So the question is, is there a thermal scope I can put on a rifle and sit 200-300 yards away and kill this sucker before he does even more damage? Thousand of dollars already lost and trying to save what's left. I know nothing about about thermal scopes. Thanks in advance!
Is it possible some of your usual hunters have a night setup? Alot of hunters including myself would bring you equipment and even sit with you and help till you harvest yogi bear. Ask friends , wardens and local gun stores who might have night equipment and experience. Your out enough money already, but i would definitely look into a nite game light for gun- good value for small cost.

So, here's the deal, I'm a commercial beekeeper with hundreds of beehives in the mountains. We spend a lot of time and money building electric fences to keep bears away from our bees. Unfortunately, now and then, we get bears that don't care if they get shocked and go right through the fence and destroy our beehives anyway. Dealing with such a bear right now, a BIG one. Normally I can get a Hunter to harvest it but this bear only comes in the middle of the night and he can't take it after dark. I, on the other hand, have permission to shoot it anytime to protect my bees. So the question is, is there a thermal scope I can put on a rifle and sit 200-300 yards away and kill this sucker before he does even more damage? Thousand of dollars already lost and trying to save what's left. I know nothing about about thermal scopes. Thanks in advance!
I use: Wicked Light scope light, motion activated battery powered lights and a battery powered driveway alarm on varmints.

just a FYI<
The advantage of using an actually predator light, with a red or green color is, it doesn't spook the animal as white light does
as white light produces a shadow which typically is what spooks the animal
which then helps make shooting things easier as it doesn't cause them to run when they see there shadow!

I personally like a red color lens, but have good luck with green as well!
I have a red lens. Maglight has a red lens that is held in place with a rubber cap. I don't know if it helps, but I'm one of those guys that will try anything once. I do know it doesn't help when you are hunting nightcrawlers.

Holy cow! Really appreciate all the great ideas. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the bear hasn't returned in 4 or 5 days. We have a few bear problems most years though but this one was just extra bad. If I buy a spot light or thermal scope I'll be able to use it almost yearly. Anyway, going to keep researching and thinking for now. Thanks again for all the help!!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Holy cow! Really appreciate all the great ideas. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the bear hasn't returned in 4 or 5 days. We have a few bear problems most years though but this one was just extra bad. If I buy a spot light or thermal scope I'll be able to use it almost yearly. Anyway, going to keep researching and thinking for now. Thanks again for all the help!!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
if your in the bee business and have hives
I think the long term game should maybe be working on adding some good fencing, like chain link, placed a ft or two in the ground too keep them from digging under it!
and then 6+ ft high,, or so, and ad some electric to the top, or even the whole fence LOL
as doing this right once will save a lot of damage over the yrs, and in long term game, should end up cheaper for you, I would even think, there could be help with costs from game dept, or breaks other wise!

and I know you said you have E fence now
but just asking cause I DON"T know what you know about it
but there are different types that have different amount of ZAP to them(The Joule rating)
as if your using a lesser joule model, or have a weaker energizer that doesn't provide full ZAP
it won't work as well as a higher joule model with a stronger energizer
that or adding a duel layer of fence, about a FT apart
this way gets maybe pass the fist but then the second adds a extra incentive to find easier foods

the problem with bears is, once one finds a way in, they will keep returning for easy meals, there no different than people, finding a easy place to get calories, lures them in and one getting that easy GOOD tasting food too boot, its a hard deal to stop them,
but adding enough layers of work, does stop most!
as I am sure you already know!

another idea if you wanted, to HUNT this one bear
Places like harbor freight sell cheap solar security lights that work off solar and then motion

, you can also add a wireless driveway monitor, that also works off a motion sensor,
to let you know when its there, some good ones will send a signal pretty far

but a trail cam is a great idea as well,a s bears are pretty reliable on having a schedule they keep!
I have bears in my yard daily 8 months out of the yr, and certain one's I can tell time by when they show up! HAHA!
good luck in what ever you end up doing
if you DO shoot, it, please come back and post a few pictures, I am sure most here would enjoy seeing the results!

if your in the bee business and have hives
I think the long term game should maybe be working on adding some good fencing, like chain link, placed a ft or two in the ground too keep them from digging under it!
and then 6+ ft high,, or so, and ad some electric to the top, or even the whole fence LOL
as doing this right once will save a lot of damage over the yrs, and in long term game, should end up cheaper for you, I would even think, there could be help with costs from game dept, or breaks other wise!

and I know you said you have E fence now
but just asking cause I DON"T know what you know about it
but there are different types that have different amount of ZAP to them(The Joule rating)
as if your using a lesser joule model, or have a weaker energizer that doesn't provide full ZAP
it won't work as well as a higher joule model with a stronger energizer
that or adding a duel layer of fence, about a FT apart
this way gets maybe pass the fist but then the second adds a extra incentive to find easier foods

the problem with bears is, once one finds a way in, they will keep returning for easy meals, there no different than people, finding a easy place to get calories, lures them in and one getting that easy GOOD tasting food too boot, its a hard deal to stop them,
but adding enough layers of work, does stop most!
as I am sure you already know!

another idea if you wanted, to HUNT this one bear
Places like harbor freight sell cheap solar security lights that work off solar and then motion

, you can also add a wireless driveway monitor, that also works off a motion sensor,
to let you know when its there, some good ones will send a signal pretty far

but a trail cam is a great idea as well,a s bears are pretty reliable on having a schedule they keep!
I have bears in my yard daily 8 months out of the yr, and certain one's I can tell time by when they show up! HAHA!
good luck in what ever you end up doing
if you DO shoot, it, please come back and post a few pictures, I am sure most here would enjoy seeing the results!
These are pretty good permanent fences. We get some supplies from the state and buy even more ourselves because I'm so anal about them. Probably close to $1,500 goes into each fence. We have about 15 fences in different areas. The entire fence IS electrified and usually keeps bears out unless the charger quits which occasionally happens. This is only the first or second time that a bear has gone through one that was working really well. Even with one of our more powerful chargers. Crazy. Anyway, surprisingly, we haven't seen this bear in several days after making 3 attacks 3 days in a row. Wondering if maybe someone shot him??? At any rate, there will be more in the future and I want to be more prepared. Thanks for the advise.