Need to shoot Problem black bear at night to save beehives

Beekeeper

So, here's the deal, I'm a commercial beekeeper with hundreds of beehives in the mountains. We spend a lot of time and money building electric fences to keep bears away from our bees. Unfortunately, now and then, we get bears that don't care if they get shocked and go right through the fence and destroy our beehives anyway. Dealing with such a bear right now, a BIG one. Normally I can get a Hunter to harvest it but this bear only comes in the middle of the night and he can't take it after dark. I, on the other hand, have permission to shoot it anytime to protect my bees. So the question is, is there a thermal scope I can put on a rifle and sit 200-300 yards away and kill this sucker before he does even more damage? Thousand of dollars already lost and trying to save what's left. I know nothing about about thermal scopes. Thanks in advance!

So, here's the deal, I'm a commercial beekeeper with hundreds of beehives in the mountains. We spend a lot of time and money building electric fences to keep bears away from our bees. Unfortunately, now and then, we get bears that don't care if they get shocked and go right through the fence and destroy our beehives anyway. Dealing with such a bear right now, a BIG one. Normally I can get a Hunter to harvest it but this bear only comes in the middle of the night and he can't take it after dark. I, on the other hand, have permission to shoot it anytime to protect my bees. So the question is, is there a thermal scope I can put on a rifle and sit 200-300 yards away and kill this sucker before he does even more damage? Thousand of dollars already lost and trying to save what's left. I know nothing about about thermal scopes. Thanks in advance!
Put up a couple motion activated lites.20$
Be ready to shoot.
Body shot.
go home find him in a.m.

I agree a night vision/ thermal scope will be very costly and not really needed
they sell and make many very good bight time hunting lights that mount to a rifle that will work to a bout 200 yards and will cost a fraction of the costs of a thermal.night vision optic!

NEXT if possible
have you tried asking your local game warden to set up a bear trap and trap the sucker and have it moved FAR away(a 100+ mils or they will most times come back)
this way, later in the yrs maybe a hunter can harvest it, rather than it just being a crop damage kill!

I would gather setting up a bear cage trap(there on trailers) would be pretty easy for the game warden to place and some easy food will lure it in over getting zapped to get to the honey
I have helped trap and tag many dozens of bears and relocated many of them!

so call it food for thought, but if not willing top trap, again, a good rifle mounted score will get the job done for you

and also, this company actually sells motion activated lights set ups, for placing over bait, so you can have the animal lighted up and you can be a distance away and shoot
they also make and sell good rifle mountable lights( I own a few now, 10+ yrs old and still working fine on original batteries too, which is amazing on that side alone HAHA!)

here is a link to a packaged deal on the light set up for rifle(charger and accessories)

they are sold all over, so might find a better price on AMazon or like sites? but they make quality products IMO!

and then a link to the motion activated lights

I have a skunk problem. That said I discovered that if you have a set of 34 MM rings a c cell maglight will fit right in them. On a AR type rifle you can mount the ring to the picatinny rail and said flashlight is aimed right where the rifle is aimed. I can light up a skunk 200 yards in my alfalfa field quite easily. Coyotes at 300 yards are history if I can get the shot off before they hit the trail. Only drawback is weight.

I have a skunk problem. That said I discovered that if you have a set of 34 MM rings a c cell maglight will fit right in them. On a AR type rifle you can mount the ring to the picatinny rail and said flashlight is aimed right where the rifle is aimed. I can light up a skunk 200 yards in my alfalfa field quite easily. Coyotes at 300 yards are history if I can get the shot off before they hit the trail. Only drawback is weight.
just a FYI<
The advantage of using an actually predator light, with a red or green color is, it doesn't spook the animal as white light does
as white light produces a shadow which typically is what spooks the animal
which then helps make shooting things easier as it doesn't cause them to run when they see there shadow!

I personally like a red color lens, but have good luck with green as well!

I killed several bears for a local bee keeper. Spot light, low power setting on your rifle scope and lots of patience. They were usually pretty consistent on coming in about the same time each night. With game cameras now days you can get a good idea when they will come in. You want to be there and hour or 2 ahead them.
Here you have to leave the animal and contact FWP with in 72 hours and they will retrieve the carcass. Good luck

I lot of good ideas. Is the area wooded or open around the hives? Be sure to have enough gun and definitely carry a backup big caliber handgun. The trail cam idea would help pattern the visits. If area is open enough, I would shoot from distance just in case. The mag lite idea would illuminate the bear if you choose the correct beam. Just my .02

I'd say if you are there with the hunter likely be legal for him to shoot it during the night on your behalf. May need to talk to game warden about keeping it. But as said it shouldn't be tough, I'd put motion activated lights and figure out the time and be ready to shoot.