Need some advice on picking a scale.

it is not .04..it is .02 with .03 tolerance.
and your saved $1200 will still have vertical at long distance.
you do not NEED AN AUTO FILL NOR TRICKLER...
THE SCALE IS $500-700 BY ITSELF.

I just watched a bunch of comparison tests of powder dispensers and love my RCBS Charge Master 1500 even more. Y'all can go ahead and spend the additional $1,200.00 for and A&D FX 120 Scale and Auto Trickler. You'll be around .040 grain more accurate than me. Congratulations... to me! I'll take that $1,200.00 and buy Bullets, powder, Hell, maybe anothe Rifle or an XRT II!

I just watched a bunch of comparison tests of powder dispensers and love my RCBS Charge Master 1500 even more. Y'all can go ahead and spend the additional $1,200.00 for and A&D FX 120 Scale and Auto Trickler. You'll be around .040 grain more accurate than me. Congratulations... to me! I'll take that $1,200.00 and buy Bullets, powder, Hell, maybe anothe Rifle or an XRT II!

The chargemaster will do just fine but it's no where near as fast as the auto throw combo. I've literally cut my reloading time in half. I can charge and seat 100 rounds in 30 minutes. I am about 9 secs per charge from the time the pan hits the scale until it stops.

it is not .04..it is .02 with .03 tolerance.
and your saved $1200 will still have vertical at long distance.
you do not NEED AN AUTO FILL NOR TRICKLER...
THE SCALE IS $500-700 BY ITSELF.
I just watched several side by side comparison tests that show the ChargeMaster weighs almost as accurate as the Prometheus ($5,100.00) and the FX 120i which sells for around a Grand. Then the shot groups with all the loads made up with the different dispensers. The difference wasn't very noticeable. The ES spread of the Charge Master 1500 loads was .075 of a grain. For the 120i the ES was .040 of a grain. The Prometheus came in at .020. 600 yard groups were too similar to make much about. Maybe these guys have an agenda. I don't know but they weighed powder on a ChargeMaster then weighed it on a $1,500.00 Sartorius Scale and they were almost identical. Enjoy your over-priced scale. I'll enjoy my 1/3 MOA Loads crafy

What distance are you shooting those groups? What caliber.
Be honest.
Our range near the Rim has enough space to shoot paper targets to 500 yards. We've been shooting at 200 and 400 for load development. I load and shoot for 223, 22 Nosler, 220 Swift and 300 Win Mag (Brother's Rifles) 257 Roberts (nephews Rifle) 7mm-08 (wife's Rifle) 270 Win (my sons rifles) 270 WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 30 Nosler and 338-375 Ruger. I've shot iron out to 1,000 yards.
I haven't met a Rifle yet that I couldn't get something to shoot tight groups out of it.
Admittedly I'm new to the 30 Nosler and the 338-375 Ruger is my first leap into the world of Wildcats, but it's shooting a 300 gr Berger @ 2,700 FPS over 81.0 grs is H1000. Just getting started on that one though and have only shot Factory Ammo out of my 30 Nosler seeing as Trophy Bonded 210 gr Accubond Cartridges were about the same price as Nosler Brass. Will be buying ADG Brass for the 30 Nosler in the future.

All of those 1/3 MOA out to 500 throwing charges from a combo. Impressive indeed. That's coming from a NRA high master.

All of those 1/3 MOA out to 500 throwing charges from a combo. Impressive indeed. That's coming from a NRA high master.

We have great conditions here in Arizona for shooting. And it's not "all those 1/3 MOA Loads". That represents the best I've done. But I can get about every rifle I own to shoot 1/2 MOA eventually. Might not be the exact bullet I wanted or the powder I thought would be the best but I can usually find something to shoot well in my Rifles. I use a ChargeMaster 1500, Rock Chucker Supreme Press (retired the original Rock Chucker that I bought in 1975 though it would go another half century), my older Dies are RCBS but I like REDDING Dies better for quite a few years now, especially the micrometer seating dies. I use a Hornady COAL gauge. I tumble my fired brass, lube, FL resize and trim them, tumble them again, prime, powder and seat my bullets. They always go bang and several times I've had the first load I tried in a rifle shoot so well that I ended Load development right then and there. I have a Chrony Gamma but from what I hear it's a piece of crap so I suppose it's as f'ed up as my ChargeMaster so there isn't much sense reporting those numbers. I don't shoot NRA events. Wasn't a Military Sniper. But I can shoot anything REAL well. Rifles, Pistols (beat the Club Pro at Pro Gun in Vegas in rapid fire Pistol and AR Rifle Shoot- 20 hits-19.3 seconds. That's 10 targets with a S&W Pistol then 10 Targets with an S&W AR at 15 yards). Revolvers (love to Load for and shoot my 44 Mags and my favorite, the 500 S&W 4". I have a Browning Challenger II 22 pistol that hits anything I look at when I'm holding it) Shotguns- (Trap is too easy, I shoot high 80s- Low 90s on Sporting Clays. One day in South Dakota I Shot 68 Roosters. If it flies, it dies) I can shoot everything. Been doing it real well for a real long time. About the same time I started crafting my custom ammo and taking my shooting seriously. I've never shot anything a mile away but can assure you that you wouldn't want to Bet against me at that distance. Now I've been retired for 2 1/2 years and have plenty of time to get even better. And we have some Long Distance Rock Targets out to 1,800 yards I'm told at the gravel quarry target range here 7 miles from my new house. I'm gonna look into hanging some iron out there instead.

Last edited:
I just watched several side by side comparison tests that show the ChargeMaster weighs almost as accurate as the Prometheus ($5,100.00) and the FX 120i which sells for around a Grand. Then the shot groups with all the loads made up with the different dispensers. The difference wasn't very noticeable. The ES spread of the Charge Master 1500 loads was .075 of a grain. For the 120i the ES was .040 of a grain. The Prometheus came in at .020. 600 yard groups were too similar to make much about. Maybe these guys have an agenda. I don't know but they weighed powder on a ChargeMaster then weighed it on a $1,500.00 Sartorius Scale and they were almost identical. Enjoy your over-priced scale. I'll enjoy my 1/3 MOA Loads crafy

Maybe you are illiterate and didn't understand what I typed.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A CHARGEMASTER. I WENT WITH THE A&D 120 AUTOTHROW FOR THE SPEED.

600 is not much of a test
a fx120i cost 500-700 not 1000
if the guns used or the shooters are no better then better ammo does not help
your INFORMATION lacks DATA
i dont think you ever posted the DISTANCE for your 1/3 moa loads ??
this is a LONG RANGE SITE
"almost" does not win long range matches

**** I feel stupid. The name of this site is Long Range HUNTING. Man am I a moron. It's apparently a site about Long Range MATCHES. Someone needs to tell Len. News Flash buddy; you don't need a 1/3 MOA rifle/load combo to shoot Big Game at Long Distance. The videos I'm talking about are on YouTube. Go and watch yourself and stick your Data wherever you want. Maybe I'm not the one that should feel stupid after all

read what he said...200/400 for load development.
i see nothing saying any of the rifles shot 1/3 moa at 500.
again lots of words...NO DATA.

Sometimes people think someone is talking to them and never realize that they were never even part of the conversation. They simple felt like getting involved and then they got but hurt. This is how people act on24hr, ARF.com and at the hide. I guess it is now here. The Chargmaster is a great tool. I have one....for pre trickle charges and plinking ammo. You can cuss me and shame me but I am picky and have been learning methods for 30 years. This is where I am now. After time you learn that everything is not an insult or words for a fight. It is just opinion. And I have one.

Long range accuracy is long range accuracy. Period. It takes the same discipline to make a heart shot at 800 as it does to hit the x ring at the same distance. The "You're a straw man" argument does not work.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.