Need some advice on picking a scale.

Since you are just getting started, I'm going to suggest/recommend the RCBS M500 beam scale ($100). A MECHANICAL scale is a must. As you get 'deeper' into reloading, then a digital scale will be a nice addition, BUT you still want that mechanical scale. Why? Sometimes those electronic/digital products act flaky and it might just be a weak battery or a cat or dog hair on the platen or a slight breeze in the room because you left the ceiling fan on, but it can be a PIA. That's where having a MECHANICAL scale to double check things is a 'must'. So start with the RCBS M500. It will work great. Easy to 'trickle charge' into it. And RCBS has great customer service (in my experience) which is nice.

If you want something to go with the scale, I suggest this:
RCBS® Powder Trickler-2
Since you are just getting started, I'm going to suggest/recommend the RCBS M500 beam scale ($100). A MECHANICAL scale is a must. As you get 'deeper' into reloading, then a digital scale will be a nice addition, BUT you still want that mechanical scale. Why? Sometimes those electronic/digital products act flaky and it might just be a weak battery or a cat or dog hair on the platen or a slight breeze in the room because you left the ceiling fan on, but it can be a PIA. That's where having a MECHANICAL scale to double check things is a 'must'. So start with the RCBS M500. It will work great. Easy to 'trickle charge' into it. And RCBS has great customer service (in my experience) which is nice.

If you want something to go with the scale, I suggest this:
RCBS® Powder Trickler-2
WISE WORDS. LISTEN to this fella.
Theosmithjr

if you actually read what i said, i have a lite that i use to feed my a&d.
how do you fill your a&d ??
i have wind shields but the location of my bench and the ac duct says i get changes from the breeze. i just wait till it cycles back off not a big deal.
i bought the lite specifically to test and see if it would work to fill the fx120i.it is much better than a harrels powder thrower.
plenty good enough for long range non competition shooters.
Might as well tell him bout NOT being under 4' away from a florescent light. Drives the scale WHACKY on CONSISTANCY! In my Benchrest & ELR rods I throw to within .5 gr. with electronic, then trickle to the sweet spot. Check on the Beam every couple to make certain. NEVER had a problem doing this. Theosmithjr

Absolutely untrue. Your digital scale may have a problem or you yourself may have a problem using it, but not ALL digital scales drift like this.
I can load 50 cases with powder with my digital scale. I can them dump the first one loaded and reweigh it. The weight will be exactly the same as when I first loaded it.
Sometimes if you use a Surge Protector or even a 4' Extension Cord it DRIVES ELECTRONIC SCALES WHACKY! Had this happen to me once 25 years ago. Took FOREVER to figure it out. Also beware that if you ever use a RCBS Power Dispencer & Electronic Scale in TANDEM; the 2 have DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLIS that will TOTALLY F*** a NEWBIE UP!
Theosmithjr

if you are using a BEAM as you final check, YOU ARE GIVING UP VERTICAL IN LONG RANGE SHOOTING.
in precision long range shooting you need 0.02 or better loads OR YOU GIVE AWAY VERTICAL. tested documented facts.

Might as well tell him bout NOT being under 4' away from a florescent light. Drives the scale WHACKY on CONSISTANCY! In my Benchrest & ELR rods I throw to within .5 gr. with electronic, then trickle to the sweet spot. Check on the Beam every couple to make certain. NEVER had a problem doing this. Theosmithjr

There are some Fine Powder throwers out there. Very Precise! But NOT in his budget. He could buy 3 Lites for the cost of 1 Precision thrower.
Theosmithjr
There are better ones but volume is volume. The better ones really only add the option to adjust the amount metered easier. I will stand by my statement. For long range hunting weighing is the way to go.

if you are using a BEAM as you final check, YOU ARE GIVING UP VERTICAL IN LONG RANGE SHOOTING.
in precision long range shooting you need 0.02 or better loads OR YOU GIVE AWAY VERTICAL. tested documented facts.
Son I'm aware of this and more. I was stating my POSTS for the young man whom is getting STARTED in Reloading and asking Q's about Scale selection. But Thank You very much!
Theosmithjr

I originally bought a lee Safety scale since IMHO you should have good B-B scale to check any digital scale. I had the chance to pick and RCBS 5-0-5 5 scale, based on the Ohaus mechanism, and to me is easier to use than the Lee and dead spot on. I use digital powder dispenser, and check the first three powder loads with the B-B to ensure the digital is correct. I then check about every 10 rounds on the B-B to make sure there has been no drift, etc on the digital. The consistency shows up in the velocities I get when I shoot. If decide to go with my RCBS Uniflow, I will do the same thing. The time it takes to me is irrelevant just from a safety standpoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.