Need some advice on picking a scale.

I haven't met a Rifle yet that I couldn't get something to shoot tight groups out of it.

Oh boy would I love to give you a shot at my commercial Mannlicher Shonauer 30-06 rifle (not carbine). Impulse buy and in pristine condition with factory swingoff mounts (dovetail rail type) and 6x scope. The thing shoots about 5" group @ 100. Tried iron sights with about the same results. The irons were about a foot high which I cannot imagine passed final inspection from factory, being folding hand filed leaves. The gun was probably bought new and sighted in, maybe used a season then put away to be eventually sold with estate. Pulling a tight patch through barrel is smooth and even (no tight or loose spots) with sharp rifling. Fired cases measure as one would expect from a good chamber. The barrel has a band which is secured by transverse screw through forearm (at sling swivel). I've tried a spread of loads and bullet weights but no joy. I have never had a rifle this bad including surplus 303 jungle carbines of my youth ($18 !!). I can see no possible reason for such poor performance. I'm thinking about full bed of entire forearm as a desperation move. I had hoped not to destroy original appearance and function since it is a beautiful machine. Probably better to sell to a mannlicher collector since it really is a clean beauty-100% blueing, stock 98% (some very very minor indentations, not scratches or damaged finish). My hope had been a 2moa rifle to take deer hunting and generate admiration and comments from my buddies!

Oh boy would I love to give you a shot at my commercial Mannlicher Shonauer 30-06 rifle (not carbine). Impulse buy and in pristine condition with factory swingoff mounts (dovetail rail type) and 6x scope. The thing shoots about 5" group @ 100. Tried iron sights with about the same results. The irons were about a foot high which I cannot imagine passed final inspection from factory, being folding hand filed leaves. The gun was probably bought new and sighted in, maybe used a season then put away to be eventually sold with estate. Pulling a tight patch through barrel is smooth and even (no tight or loose spots) with sharp rifling. Fired cases measure as one would expect from a good chamber. The barrel has a band which is secured by transverse screw through forearm (at sling swivel). I've tried a spread of loads and bullet weights but no joy. I have never had a rifle this bad including surplus 303 jungle carbines of my youth ($18 !!). I can see no possible reason for such poor performance. I'm thinking about full bed of entire forearm as a desperation move. I had hoped not to destroy original appearance and function since it is a beautiful machine. Probably better to sell to a mannlicher collector since it really is a clean beauty-100% blueing, stock 98% (some very very minor indentations, not scratches or damaged finish). My hope had been a 2moa rifle to take deer hunting and generate admiration and comments from my buddies!
I've always shot Rem 700s, Win 70s Savage 110s and most recently Kimber and Nosler. I've never messed with the foreign war relics. Probably why I could always get em to shoot. I don't buy junk.

talk about lack of reading comprehension !
what i said was "you will be an also ran"
as in just results fodder, not a top finisher.
YOU STILL ARE TAP DANCING
HAVE NOT ANSWERED THE BASIC MATCH QUESTIONS
YOU KNOW THINGS LIKE DISTANCE, SIZE OF X RING, SIZE OF 10 RING

1000 yard f class target. It has a 5" x ring and 10" 10 ring. Is that suitable for you or is 600 yards your max? You still haven't posted your plaques, trophies, etc. etc.

you seem to have a reading comprehension problem.
i clearly said i had no intention of posting my name on the forum.
are you shooting f class at 1000 yds, or just using that target at some other distance, hard to tell by your post.
i would like to shoot f class, but it takes me days to recover from even one day of prone shooting.
1000 yard f class target. It has a 5" x ring and 10" 10 ring. Is that suitable for you or is 600 yards your max? You still haven't posted your plaques, trophies, etc. etc.

where the nationals were held that year..
i get the impression some do not believe me. i do not care. i have the plaque, the certificate and an embrodered large badge, the results published, and several small plaques for other 'WINS' within the matches.
you could just say "prove it" instead of trying to sneak around and see what is what. if i wanted to use my name on here i would have, i did not and i plan on it staying that way.

Here ya go pal. Now we will wait.

what ? you cannot read what is says ?
it says i am NOT publishing my name.
and again you have not answered the questions asked.

What questions lol? I don't shoot f class. I figured you did. I don't shoot BR either. You said I would be ran. I offered my rifle and ammo up for you to shoot. You have not posted pics of your badges, certificates, or anything. It's not hard to blur a name out. Personally I think you are full of **** but it's ok. I am done with this thread and you. If you want to reach me then send me a PM.

i asked what target and distance.
you IMPLIED 1000 yards and f class
now you say not true
you gave three dates, three locations.
you failed to provide distance and target size
you are the one full of bs. my data is actually on the net/ and published, just because i choose to not tell you where does not make it un true.
and for the THIRD TIME i never said you would be "ran"
what i said was you would be "AN ALSO RUN", not a top finisher, results fodder.
please go away you have added nothing POSITIVE to the op's question.
What questions lol? I don't shoot f class. I figured you did. I don't shoot BR either. You said I would be ran. I offered my rifle and ammo up for you to shoot. You have not posted pics of your badges, certificates, or anything. It's not hard to blur a name out. Personally I think you are full of ---- but it's ok. I am done with this thread and you. If you want to reach me then send me a PM.

i asked what target and distance.
you IMPLIED 1000 yards and f class
now you say not true
you gave three dates, three locations.
you failed to provide distance and target size
you are the one full of bs. my data is actually on the net/ and published, just because i choose to not tell you where does not make it un true.
and for the THIRD TIME i never said you would be "ran"
what i said was you would be "AN ALSO RUN", not a top finisher, results fodder.
please go away you have added nothing POSITIVE to the op's question.

What a Tool Bag

yes you are because if you read ALL the words and not just a select few it says
LONG RANGE HUNTING AND SHOOTING
AND YES YOU ARE RIGHT
you should feel stupid
Uh, my site says Long Range Hunting. But it would be difficult to kill something at long range without shooting. Hunting is the Key Word. It says nothing about Long Range Bench Rest Shooting. In fact, the word Shooting is nowhere to be seen in the title of the site that I'm on. You are the Idiot and I don't argue with idiots that see things that aren't there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.