New Rifle, Need some Advice on a Scope

Would Nosler Accubond 225/250 be a better choice than the Swift?

Thanks,
James

A 300 grain berger will obliterate anything in north america. 4000 ft/lbs of energy at 350 yards if your at 2830 muzzle velocity.

Thats more energy at 350 yards than a 270 weatherby magnum has at the muzzle. Even with a 150g bullet in the 270.

I don't know why it did not dawn on me before, but my younger brother is Active Army. So I am able to use him to get a military discount on optics, along with other accessories. This opens up my choices on what scope I can afford.

With that in mind, scopes such as a NF, MkIV, and Razor HD come into a much better price range. Makes it easier on the pocket, but increases the potential options.

Should I take a look at the Vortex Razor HD Scopes? The discount brings them down into the affordable range, along with the NF Scopes. Any suggestions?

No personal experiance with vortex scopes, i have been around a schmidt & Bender. If i ever decide i want something "better" image quality wise it will be a schmidt pm II. Heard the vortex were ok scopes even great for the price. But that was for the viper and pst lines. No idea about the HD razers.

I do know i see a crapton of vortex pst for sale on forums. I wonder why. With vortex unconditional warranty though, vortex seems gtg.

I had a Viper PST 6-24, which I sold. It was a good scope but it did not feel like it was 'high quality'. I got it for the Lifetime you can use it to beat a tent state in and they will replace it warranty. I think that their warranty is probably one of the best you can find. Even night force doesn't have the warranty they offer. Of course when you pick up a NF, it feels 'solid as a rock'.

I have read that the Razor HD is on par or better than NF as far as clarity/color etc. And with their warranty, you can't really beat it. Especially if I can get one for a good price.

But from what I have heard, if you want something that feels like it was built to last, NF is the way to go.

If you sold a pst because of "feel" i would wholeheartedly say get a nightforce with the moar or the moar-t reticle make sure you get HS and ZERO STOP. Best 2000$$ i have spent in my life.

I own every top end scope on the market, nightforce, Schmidt and bender, Leupold mark 4, Zeiss, Swarovski, vortex razor hd. And in all honesty, you can not go wrong with the Leupold mark 4, the glass is as good if not better than nightforce and the biggest issue with nightforce is when you have it set in the highest power it is washed out on the edges of the sight picture. My choice would be mark 4 with TMR reticle or the vortex razor HD plain and simple

Thanks for all of your input. I have been checking out various scopes, and this one 'piqued' my interest: Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 MOA (RZR-42705).

I watched some videos on it, and it appears to be a fairly solid looking scope. I do like the new features it has, which I think are all a step up from the standard Razor HD.

Has anyone been able to get a hold of a pre-production model and gotten to check it out? I like that the turret needs to be lifted up, to be able to adjust it. I also like the positioning of the illumination dial (pulls out from parallax sf turret to adjust).

From what I could find, everything I have read states that the scope is really well built/done. The only real drawback I have seen anyone post is that it weighs in at just over 3 lbs...

Anyone have any input on this?

As for a scope base, I was looking at possibly getting something made by Near Mfg. And if I do go with the Vortex, I'd probably get the Vortex Rings (Believe they are made by Seekins).

haven't seen the Gen II Razors yet but if the Gen I is any indication it'll be a fine optic. Bit out of my pricerange, even with my discount but I'd wait until they hit the streets and check one out before making a decision.

The Viper HS scopes are great for the money. I have been impressed with mine comparing them against my higher and lower priced scopes.

It's not quite on par with my Kahles or Zeiss scopes, but it's definitely in the higher end of quality for it's price range.

mmm I forget about Kahles sometimes, they're very nice. My next scope is going to be an HS-T or a PST. Great for hunting and shooting, and the warranty is outstanding.

Alright so I think I have pinpointed my scopes down to two.

The Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 SFP (~$2300 street) or the yet to be released Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP (~$2500 street).

But, I need a suggestion on an absolutely CHEAP scope I can put on my .338 Lapua, so that I can at least throw some rounds through it (make sure no defects in rifle) while I wait on the release of the Vortex (so that I can compare it to an ATACR).

I am leaning towards the Vortex because after viewing their videos and reading reviews, I am really liking their turret/illumination design. The Zoom range is negligible as there is not much difference. Also I do prefer the FFP but it is not a must.

But yeah, anyone know a cheap scope I can throw on while I await the Vortex release? I just want something that will hold its zero and not explode after a shot. I wont be using the dials on it. It will be a set it and forget it scope so that I can shoot some targets and maybe work up some sort of load for the rifle.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.