New to handloading...Need some advice

Todd in NY

Hello all,

My first post here. Although I've hunted 20+ years (bow and shotgun), I am somewhat new to rifles. I have a .243 and just bought a Tikka Hunter (.300 WSM) that I have not shot yet. We had 16 inches of snow last night so it might be awhile.

I'm really interested in reloading but have found it difficult to get an equipment list to get started. I see that both, Redding and RCBS offers kits.

Questions:

Is a kit the way to go or will I end up upgrading most of the components in a short time (like the scale)

What do I need to do it right.

How much $$ do you save by reloading. Those .300 WSM bullets are expensive.

Please reccommend a good beginner level reloading book.

If any of you are in the Rochester, NY area and would be willing to give a lesson, it would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd
I started reloading about 2 years ago. I started out with the RCBS reloading kit ($260). I have yet to feel the need to upgrade anything. I have picked up a few small things that don't come with the kit, but most of them were under $20.

Now I'm not reloading for any type of competative shooting just accurate long range hunting rounds. I also don't reload large quantities of rounds just enough to practice and hunt with, maybe 75-80 rounds a month. If you want high volume or are shooting competatively you will want to upgrade some of the stuff in a standard kit.

When I started I was paying $25-$35 dollars for a box of 300 win mag shells at the local Gander Mt. I figure a box of reloads is costing about $11-$13 depending on brass life and powder charge.

Hope that helps some
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.