Need some advice on picking a scale.

I'm surprised so many people have such a miserable time with their powder measures and stick powders. My old measure is (I think! There are no markings of any kind on it) a Lyman 55 and if I'm using something like IMR4350, I will have to cut a grain once in a while but generally it throws some pretty consistent charges with every powder I've tried. IMR and Hodgdon stick powders will usually throw within .5 grain or less, after which I use the trickler. With the Short Cut powders it does even better. With ball or flake powders it's always quite accurate, once the powder is settled. I have absolutely no idea how old it is, I got it and my RCBS scale in a trade but I've been using it since the early/mid 80's. One of the best deals I've ever made, in fact. I can only guess that they just don't make them like they used too!
Cheers,
crkckr

I'm piecing together a reloading kit and I have everything I need except a scale. I don't participate in competitions of any sorts anymore and mainly shoot for hunting or leisure but the gun club I joined does do a summer league at 300 yards I might participate in this summer. I'm planning to purchase my scale from Cabela's as I have a $100 gift card that's been laying around for a year and they are only a 50 minute drive from me. I'd like to keep my cost at or around $100 so that gives me up to $200 for a scale. I've narrowed it down to:
  • Frankford Arsenal Intelli-Dropper ($200)
  • Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series scale ($95)
  • RCBS M500 beam scale ($100)
  • RCBS Rangemaster 2000 ($140)
  • Lyman Accu-Touch 2000 ($125)
There are other scales they sell, most cheaper or more expensive than these but some like the Hornady digital scale had horrible reviews and decided to leave them off my list. Any of these scales worth buying and if they are what would serve me best? All thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thank you.

If you give me a call, I can provide detail on analytical balances, including 2 fast and separate ways to check calibration. I've been using analytical scales for over 40 years. And you do not need to spend $200!
Victor Culpepper
504-915-6006
[email protected]

I'm piecing together a reloading kit and I have everything I need except a scale. I don't participate in competitions of any sorts anymore and mainly shoot for hunting or leisure but the gun club I joined does do a summer league at 300 yards I might participate in this summer. I'm planning to purchase my scale from Cabela's as I have a $100 gift card that's been laying around for a year and they are only a 50 minute drive from me. I'd like to keep my cost at or around $100 so that gives me up to $200 for a scale. I've narrowed it down to:
There are other scales they sell, most cheaper or more expensive than these but some like the Hornady digital scale had horrible reviews and decided to leave them off my list. Any of these scales worth buying and if they are what would serve me best? All thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thank you.

Like almost everyone here I started with a RCBS beam scale in late 60's or early 70's can't remember.
I have used it for many many years but in the mid 90's I bought my first Pact scale and used it until a few years ago it just died so I bought another and unlike many others on this forum mine does not drift.
Last night after reading this I loaded 200 rounds of 45 acp and checked the first one I loaded and it was the same as the last.
If mine drifts even .1 it goes out the window.
Right now Natchezz has the Charge Master Lite for 245.00
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

chargemaster is great and accurate !

I started with a beam balance (ohaus) used it without fail for 20 years before buying a RCBS charge master which was pretty good most of the time, BUT as time wore on it began getting a little erratic,so I started using the beam balance to check the weights it was showing, +or -1/10 of a grain, as my shooting got further out,, 1000 mts + those little irregularities become group spreaders with velocity variations..so I use the beam balance all the time, & the chargemaster to get the powder thrower (Redding) close & the beam balance for final weight.. I reload for 6.5/284, 7mm rem mag, 300 whby mag, 338 Edge...Just my 10 cents worth..

If you believe your Chargmaster is throwing accurate loads, we have a different definition of accurate. You can test those with a Scott Parker tuned scale any day and prove the Chargmaster is only for throwing light charges to be trickled to weight on a better scale. 8 out of 10 is not good enough for most people shooting for groups.

If you believe your Chargmaster is throwing accurate loads, we have a different definition of accurate. You can test those with a Scott Parker tuned scale any day and prove the Chargmaster is only for throwing light charges to be trickled to weight on a better scale. 8 out of 10 is not good enough for most people shooting for groups.
Wow, imagine what my 1/2 to 1/3 MOA groups would look like if I didn't use tha horrible RCBS ChargeMaster Combo! I believe you have your numbers *** backwards: good enough for 8 out of 10 people.

fake discount. shop on line and run from cabelas.
i paid less than 200 for my lite delivered
i closed my account after years and years. the bASS pro people have ruined cabelas.
I'm not happy about the Bass Pro acquisition either, but I use my Cabela's card for nearly everything, for the points. And I never buy from Cabela's unless no other vendor can beat their price, considering item price, tax, shipping and transit time (or travel time to the store--for me, 45 min ea. way).

Wow, imagine what my 1/2 to 1/3 MOA groups would look like if I didn't use tha horrible RCBS ChargeMaster Combo! I believe you have your numbers --- backwards: good enough for 8 out of 10 people.

What distance are you shooting those groups? What caliber.
Be honest.

You will be there for days trying to load 50 rounds on a beam scale.

I would pony up the extra cash for a charge master lite. It will do everything you want it to do and do it quickly.

Agreed. I have no reason to use a beam scale. I continually watch for my electronic scale to zero. If it doesn't, I zero it. If in doubt, I calibrate it. It comes with 20 and 30 grain weights to check accuracy.

I just watched a bunch of comparison tests of powder dispensers and love my RCBS Charge Master 1500 even more. Y'all can go ahead and spend the additional $1,200.00 for and A&D FX 120 Scale and Auto Trickler. You'll be around .040 grain more accurate than me. Congratulations... to me! I'll take that $1,200.00 and buy Bullets, powder, Hell, maybe anothe Rifle or an XRT II!

just to be sure.
we are talking chargemaster LITE, not the older plain chargemaster.
you are speaking of old data, when you have tested a lite come back.
it is excellent for the use listed by the op.
for long range target work you need 0.02 or better

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.