Need optics advise for 6.5

Clucknmoan

Gents- I need some input regarding optics for a 6.5 284 build. I know this has been hashed over, but the optics world seems to change quite a lot and the answers 2 months ago may not be the same today.

In general, I would like to hear what others are using and maybe some suggestions as to what you would do if you were in my position given the intended use. Any input would be appreciated.

Rifle will primarily for both longer range deer, under 600 or so, and varmint sized dogs out to 1K or so. Hope to shoot 140 Bergers, but I will let the gun decide that. I would like to keep the cost of the optics under $1K.

I have Zeiss glass on top of my other high end rifles and I have no complaints about them, but I am a little concerned that being a 1" tube, I will be at the edge of turret adjustment.

Thanks gents!

Gents- I need some input regarding optics for a 6.5 284 build. I know this has been hashed over, but the optics world seems to change quite a lot and the answers 2 months ago may not be the same today.

In general, I would like to hear what others are using and maybe some suggestions as to what you would do if you were in my position given the intended use. Any input would be appreciated.

Rifle will primarily for both longer range deer, under 600 or so, and varmint sized dogs out to 1K or so. Hope to shoot 140 Bergers, but I will let the gun decide that. I would like to keep the cost of the optics under $1K.

I have Zeiss glass on top of my other high end rifles and I have no complaints about them, but I am a little concerned that being a 1" tube, I will be at the edge of turret adjustment.

Thanks gents!

I have 15 or 20 MOA rails on my rifles...and some are 4.5-14...othters 6.5-20 Zeiss Conquests.

Im getting ready to bring a 260 caliber and a 280 caliber bolt action rifles online..

Last edited:
I have 15 or 20 degree rails on my rifles...and some are 4.5-14...othters 6.5-20 Zeiss Conquests.

Im getting ready to bring a 260 caliber and a 280 caliber bolt action rifles online..

I'm sure you meant 15 or 20 MOA rails. With 15 or 20 degree rails you wouldn't even be able to sight in :)

Sorry for the delay, been overseas for a bit, back now and back to the mission at hand.

Yes, I was looking at the 20MOA rail option, but am still concerned that it will be on the edge of the other end of the spectrum at that point since the conquest only has about 45 moa of adjustment total.

To throw a kink in here, what about these....

Zeiss HD5 5X25X50. Increase to 65 moa, improved coating, no zero stop (at least not real usable) should be good quality glass from Zeiss, still 1" tube.

Vortex PST 6X24X50. 65 MOA of elevation, zero stop, 30mm tube, good value...but I have heard the glass quality is not quite there. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nightforce HSV 4X14X56. Well, it's a Nightforce so I will stop there. No zero stop and low magnification BUT better quality than all the above. Question is, is the X14 going to be enough for what I described above??

All these offer reticles I could live with. I would love to just buy an NXS, but it's a little out of my price range right now with the new build and all.

Please chime in....I have already used and abused the search function.

I have a 6-24 and often find myself shooting on 14-16x out to 1k. You should add the Sightron SIII 6-24 and the Sightron STAC scopes to your list as well. I bought my Sightrons over the Viper PST because I felt they had better glass. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a other Sightron for any of my rifles.

Interesting. Heard quite about about Sightron, but have no experience with them. I will look into it.

I am really starting to lean toward the HSV.

I'm having the same caliber built right now as well, and am also really leaning toward the HSV. I would love to hear some more thoughts on this topic. When is your rifle supposed to be done? Mine should be anytime. I feel like a kid at christmas!
Levi

Not sure when it's going to be done. A lot sooner if I'd quit sending him crap to put on it! Was waiting on a barrel, but it should be there by now. I know the action already got squared up, so I would imagine he will start on it pretty soon.

As for the scope....I was going to drop $1K on the HSV, so I scrounged up $300 more and committed to a used NXS last night.

Now I need to settle on a rail and some rings so he can lap them and get it all set.

Just a little food for thought, but illuminated reticles are illegal to hunt with in Idaho. I was going to do the exact same thing you did until I called fish and game. The general purpose of my rifle is filling the freezer, so the NXS was a no-go for me. Just thought I'd give you a heads up buddy.
Levi

It's my understanding that you can take the battery out and it functions as any non lit reticle.

Either way, I'm not sure who you called, but it doesn't surprise me that we got different stories. That's pretty typical. I've seen a whole lot of guys running red dots around here lately for it to be illegal.

This is the excerpt out of the F&G Regs concerning weapons restrictions for any weapons hunts.

In any hunt, including any-weapon seasons, it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:

"With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]except [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed."

I am going to call Nightforce today and find out what their interpretation is. A few years ago I couldn't get a straight answer out of fish and game as to what the law was regarding muzzle loader restrictions (they used to like to change them on a yearly basis), I had to call Power Belt to get the real story.

Call fish and game and ask for law enforcement. They told me you would be cited even if the battery was removed. IMO, I trust the people in charge of writing the tickets over the company selling the product.

It doesn't matter what they told you when you can pull out the 2014 Big Game Rules guide book and prove them wrong.

TEMP.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.