need advise

Dead Beat

im putting to together my first long range/tactical rig this will be my first tactical scope which reticle should i get mil dot of fine cross hairs .

Jim

mostly steel targets out to a 1000 yards i hope i would like to have a scope that's precise at those range's and would like to learn how to use one why ???

I am looking at the Nightforce scopes myself.... seems to be a lot of good info and strong feelings that they excel over the others...

Why do I ask? Because selection of a scope and reticle should be based upon the rifle it goes on and the end use of the entire package.

Shooting at steel to 1K is probably best accomplished with a fine crosshair and about a 12X scope.

Shooting at animals to ranges of 1K is a toss up between a graduated reticle such a a MLR or NP-R2 and a duplex and the debate contunes over whether 3-15X or a 4-20X is needed.

Tactical situations depend upon the combat environment one expects to encounter. If one is dealing with urban countersniper issues then that is greatly different from the mountains of Afghanistan which is still different from the triple canopy jungles of Vietnam. I am by no means an expert on current day tactical weapons systems and have no desire to become an expert.

BB your reply is exactly what i was looking for i should made my self clearer sorry about that !!! the rifle will be built of a Remington VLS i have in 243 and will send it to Shawn and have a 308 Winchester hart barrel put on it and trued up the reason for the 308 in cheaper to shoot and reload

i have looked at 3 scopes so far the leupold L4 i think and the Nikon tactical and nightforce keep the advise coming thanks y'all

as far as hunting i will most likey use it for a hunt now and then but for the most part it be used for steel. there is a 700 meter range not to far from me and the whole mojave desert if need be

thanks Jim

I would get a 5.5-22 NXS with a NPR2 ret. I like mine and haen't used anything better not saying that there is not any that are superior I just havent layed my hands on it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.