need opinions on shotguns.

shuamee

ok well ive been out of playing with shotguns for a while now and looking for suggestions. first off let me say this. i WILL NOT buy another remington product ever. i have bought 5 or 6 rem products in the past couple of years and have gotten rid of all but one. i have a 20ga youth model 870 express magnum that is as of this past Christmas 19yrs old. the gun is perfect i could not have asked for a better gun. it was the first gun that was ever bought for me so the gun does not get out much. i bought a 870 express 12ga 3 or 4 years ago and i can not point out one thing about it thats good much less half the quality of my older 20ga. the 12ga has a crooked vent rib the fit and finish of the entire gun is pathetic and overall its junk. i used to be a diehard rem fan then i had odd and end probs with my rifles from them then i started noticing probs with my friends guns (rifles and shotguns) then i got this last shotgun and now i will never be a rem fan again. im looking for a new line of shotguns basically. i like pumps mostly and semi's on occasion. i have owned a winchester 1300 in the past and loved the gun but i dont ever hear them talked about its like they just dont exist. im leaning more towards benelli or browning tho. anybody have any opinions on benelli or have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey there, if your thinking semi auto either the Beretta extrema2, or the Vinci. If you stick with a pump there is only one super nova. I have the extrema2 and it is great, I do still love my super nova.

Vinci - feels light, and can shoot incredibly fast. Recoil in the field is almost unnoticeable.

Super Nova - never used

Nova - great gun

I've been really impressed with Benelli products over the past couple years.

As autos go, I don't think any of the numerous autos I have owned or shot can come close to my Benelli Black Eagle in terms of quality, reliability, balance, and simplicity of design. Cleans up in minutes, and never had a failure. Numerous shooting buddies have had the same experience with the Benneli. The inertia system is an excellent design. To me, this is the shotgun design equivalent to the AK 47 but with top quality, and shooting performance. Had a Wnchester 1300 along with 870's, Ithacas, etc. They were not bad but with the Winchester Model 12 as a reference point, they were soon sold.

One more vote for Benelli. They have excellent customer service, not that you will need it. I carried an M1 super 90 on our entry team, now I have an M4. I bought a super black eagle when I was 17. I have since sold most of my shotguns and only use the super black eagle. Benelli rocks all the way.

Personally I like the Beretta gas guns better than the Benelli recoil guns. I have over 10,000 rounds though my 391 without any problems and I only clean that gun once a year after clays season is done.

Pumps the Benelli has a great gun and the Browning BPS is also a great pump.

You could always look around and find a well care fored wingmaster, it is sure hard to beat the older ones.

Pump- go with a Nova

Semi- Benelli or get a Beretta 3901/390/391 if you can't afford a Benelli. Our group have either one or the other and have yet to see issues with any of them.

over the years I've had to repair ALL of the major brands, some more than others
We call auto's "autojammers" for a reason, that being said, my personal goose shooter is the original mfg. (pre 2002) Browning Gold hunter 3.5" after you figure out how to make it run, it's great, IF you don't have to order parts from Browning ! there parts dept. sucks, but Brownells is good. I had a shell blow up this year,
(new factory load) broke the cart. cut off and lost the spring. PITA to get the RIGHT one from Browning, but Brownells had it, knew what i needed from serial # (browning could NOT figure that out) I don't fault the gun for the problem. and a minor job to repair. Runs all the time if you keep it clean.

as far as pump guns go, have had to repair ALL of those listed, except older rem. 870 wingmaster.

I have owned remington shotguns for 46 years got my first when i was 10 got a 1100 12g i have had for 33y never don nothing but kept cleaned and a o ring ever now and then and it been put through the ringer by the boys and me and a LT lightweight 1100 3in 20 had since 78 same thing no trouble at all. my son still uses his 870 youth model 3in when we take the squirrel dogs out. also have a Benelli super black eagle. and a 1187 not used the 1187 much but so far doing great. the Benelli is a great gun got no complaints.

As far as pumps go, I am a huge fan of the old 870's, whatever happened to their quality control? Anyway, I got a new Benelli Super Nova a couple of years ago, and it has been a rock solid performer for me. I have no complaints about it whatsoever.

For the autoloaders I love the Beretta's. Between my dad, brother, and I we have had about every semi-auto shotgun they have ever made and have shot thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through them. We have never had to do anything to any of them except clean them. Good luck with whatever you go with!

I've personally owned Beretta 303 and the 390. Great shooters, smooth cycling, low recoil. I've always been told any 12 ga. gas operated semi needs to use shells with at least 1-1/8 oz. shot to cycle flawlessly. At a starting price of $650, the Beretta A300 would have my attention. Dick's offers discounts on that model.

Benelli's are terrific guns as well for a bit mo money, perhaps a bit mo kick.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts