Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

matt_3479

I have been looking around the past couple weeks for a new auto loading shotgun and have come across a few that catch my eye. The Browning Maxus is one, the Bretta Extreme II is another and my favorite so far is the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. This will be my first auto loading shotgun and would love some advice.

For that price range, I'd also add the new Remington Versamax. The have a few videos on their site about the unique gas system that enables all shells to be fired through it, it looks very simple. My guess is that retail will be around $1100 for the basic black this fall.

I'm a big fan of the quality and simplicity of the SBEII. The stock shims will allow you to fit it properly and it will improve your shooting. It feels surprisingly lively for a duck/goose gun. I've had three hard seasons hunting ducks/geese in mud, sleet, snow, and dust and have yet to have a failure to cycle
I've shot the Maxus and, althought it cycled perfectly, it's fit didn't feel right to me.

I'm not sure if Browning offers a shim system, but it makes such a difference that I won't buy a shotgun anymore unless it offers a method to adjust cast and drop. Otherwise, it is off to the gunsmith for me.

Hey Mat..don't buy a Browning A5..I have one that my Father left me, its in perfict condition
and it kicks like a SOB its been fired maybe 5 or 6 times and it was put back in the case.
its going to be traded..I can fire my 870 all day and its nothing like that. the recoil is so bad one shot and your shoulder feels like its been dislocated.

You won't go wrong with the SBE, GREAT gun. But the Browning/Winchester or Beretta will also be a great gun, IF it fits and feels good. I have owned SBE's for 15+ years and feels great in my hands, the Browning just don't feel rite, Extrema's are to bulky feeling, and the Winny, well I like it.
If this is your first auto, you may have a more non bias feel. Where I have shot a SBE for so long, the rest dont feel rite, but not to say I would'nt get used to them.
Again, try them all on, find some one that owns them and try to shoot them to get a true "hands on" shooting feel.

I might be a bit behind on the times, but I've got a Remington 11-87 that is aweseome! It will cycle everything from the lightest target loads up to the big 3" magnums. By virtue of being gas operated, it takes quite a bit of recoil out.

If you end up with a SBEII and want a turkey choke, I'll make you a heck of a deal on a Briley. I got it thrown in when I bought my gun but already had a Kicks tube. Never been shot, still in the package!

By the way, the SBEII is an awesome gun...love mine!

I had shot a Rem 1100 for years but finally 'bit the bullet' & got a Benelli M2 Field which has turned out to be one of the best firearms purchases I have made so this would be my recommendation.

Hey Mat..don't buy a Browning A5..I have one that my Father left me, its in perfict condition
and it kicks like a SOB its been fired maybe 5 or 6 times and it was put back in the case.
its going to be traded..I can fire my 870 all day and its nothing like that. the recoil is so bad one shot and your shoulder feels like its been dislocated.

My 1953 vintage A5 is my "go to" pheasant gun. The recoil doesn't bother me in the least. My 11-87 may be a bit milder, but even with my bad right shoulder the A5 is not troublesome.

"YMMV" as they say...

I have shot Remington Brand Shotguns for over 50 years and have never been very happy with anything else. Have tried other brands and always came back to Remington. The only thing that will keep an 1100 or 11 87 from cycling properly is dirt and bad gas ring. Have an 1187 Super Mag now, that will shoot Dove Loads to 3 1/2" Turkey Loads and the recoil is mild, even on the Turkey Loads. One last reason, it's made in the USA.

Hope you found a gun you like, kinda late for me to post this... I have a Win SX2, great gun, easy on the shoulder, very light (around 6.5lbs i think), even has a pretty wood stock.

I might be a bit behind on the times, but I've got a Remington 11-87 that is aweseome! It will cycle everything from the lightest target loads up to the big 3" magnums. By virtue of being gas operated, it takes quite a bit of recoil out.
Also have 2 1187's one Supermag and a 20 Ga that I use for Upland Hunting. The biggest thing is that they are made in America.

Take a look at the win SX3 if you get a chance. I hunted with my trusty 870 for over 10 years and finally broke down and bought my first auto shotgun. i did a lot of research and shot alot of different brands. To me the Sx3 left the rest behind

If you are looking at saving a little I would look at a used Browning Gold, just picked one up for around 500 and they shoot great.

I have heard good things about the winchester's also.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.