Need new Scales......Which one perfectionist type recommendations needed!

OK...I'm very experienced and not a newb for all you that want to treat me like a newb.

Looking at the A&D FX-120i setup with the auto trickler system or the RCBS Match Master. RCBS is a litte cheaper but that's not a factor so which one of these two setups or would any of you match shooters recommend another setup. I currently have an Older A&D not sure the model but it weighs to .02 grains which I like cause I'm a exact kinda perfectionist freak. I know I can get the FX-120i now but the kit would be delayed. I could use the scale by itself until the kit comes in. Thought's
I have the Auto trickler and the FX-120i and love it. I am a to the kernel kind of guy; and even partial kernels. My perfectionism and anal retentiveness love reloading but the systems I tried before this one were not cutting it and taking too much of my time to satisfy me. The first few times I used the FX-120i and auto tricker I measured every charge multiple times on other scales to verify and never had to add or take out any kernels (unless I spilled on the transfer to the other scales). Then I started verifying every fifth, it has never been wrong. It is way more accurate than what I was using to verify anyway. I trust it 100 percent. And now I can rip through the reloading with better accuracy. Has cut my time down exponentially and even tightened my groups. Highly recommend. Worth the $1100 just in time savings.

I
I have the Auto trickler and the FX-120i and love it. I am a to the kernel kind of guy; and even partial kernels. My perfectionism and anal retentiveness love reloading but the systems I tried before this one were not cutting it and taking too much of my time to satisfy me. The first few times I used the FX-120i and auto tricker I measured every charge multiple times on other scales to verify and never had to add or take out any kernels (unless I spilled on the transfer to the other scales). Then I started verifying every fifth, it has never been wrong. It is way more accurate than what I was using to verify anyway. I trust it 100 percent. And now I can rip through the reloading with better accuracy. Has cut my time down exponentially and even tightened my groups. Highly recommend. Worth the $1100 just in time savings.
omg another kernel cutter. Lol. I've done the same

If you want perfection, look into a Promethieus Scale. It is accurate to 1 granule and has a trickler. Salty...yes, worth it in time savings and accuracy....absolutely!!!! If you call Brand, tell him Bud recommended his product.

OK...I'm very experienced and not a newb for all you that want to treat me like a newb.

Looking at the A&D FX-120i setup with the auto trickler system or the RCBS Match Master. RCBS is a litte cheaper but that's not a factor so which one of these two setups or would any of you match shooters recommend another setup. I currently have an Older A&D not sure the model but it weighs to .02 grains which I like cause I'm a exact kinda perfectionist freak. I know I can get the FX-120i now but the kit would be delayed. I could use the scale by itself until the kit comes in. Thought's

many good post posts on choices ad even some technique cautions. Unfortunately even the very best scale is near worthless if your reloading bench/table/room/closet are not set up right to allow it to function correctly.
Check out the link for what the makers of good quality scales say is needed: https://scaleman.com/installing-laboratory-balances.html

Last edited:

I picked up an RCBS charge master when they first came out. I'm pleased with it. It's quick if you're loading a bunch, I shoot High Power, the only bugger I had was the power converter came apart when I unplugged it, got a variable one from the Amazon, still rolling along. HTH.

With all the v4s running around now you might look for a v3. It's a great setup just a little tougher with the Lincoln log powders but still very fast and precise.

We have a RCBS Charge Master Combo, GEM 500, Dandy Trickler, RCBS Beam 1000, A&D FX 120i, and should be getting out V-4 any day.
Wanted a Promethieus, but you need different Plates for different powders so went with a V-4
Wore out a lot of razor blades shaving kernels down!
You can get a very accurate powder weight, but you have all the other factors in place like brass prep, bullets, barrel in place for an accurate shot.

Last edited:
I have the A&D with the autotrickler setup and have used it for the past 3 years. Reasonably fast and accurate to .02 gn which is about as accurate as you need. Note that .02 grains variation (basically 1 granule of Varget) in a medium cartridge will only affect MV by about 3-4 FPS. Other factors can influence MV even more than this such as neck tension, variations in cartridge volume, seating depth variations etc. The whole key is consistency which will keep SD's is a single digit range.

McDonald missed his calling he would have made a great drug dealer..lol... My benchrest shooter brother took the McDonalds drugs, now his V4 is running. He went through all the versions. As he upgraded he threw the old versions to me.

After quitting shooting 1000 yaeds years ago I sold my Prometheus 1 and bought the standalone fx120i and loaned it to my brother till he bought his own. Then McDonald came along, and the rest is history - he is addicted.

I still dont use the fx120i to load as my competition shooting lately is limited to 600 with 2 MOA 10 ring and sling, the Dillons are up to the task. Funny I load my 300WM and 280AI hunting loads using the very old Chargemaster and tweezer finish the charge on the fX120i.

V4 looks impressive, it might hang with the Prometheus.