Need muzzleloader help please

First off, inlines are a totally different animals that side locks and different rules apply for loading and cleaning.

IF you can get Blackhorn 209 powder that is THE standard for inlines and no one has anything close.

Alliant MZ was supposed to be similar but by most reviews has not lived up to the hype. You have to compress the loads, still has a crud ring and has very mixed reviews for accuracy and consistency. Here is one review below.

Alliant MZ Powder | Doug's Message Boards

There are a variety of websites other than here that specialize in muzzleloaders and testing the new powders, primers and bullets. Highly recommend you use google them spend some time on them.

TC's tend to on the tight side bore wise and you might run into problems with bullets. The Hornady 300 gr bullet should work, also the Barnes Spitfire EZ (which is made for tighter bores), the Thor bullets (come in various dimensions) and PR bullets (Canadian) would be the ones to go to.

Most have dropped all pellets due to lack of uniformity and 777 due to the crud ring build up that limits you to one shot before cleaning the bore and the primer issues (you cannot use a standard 209 primer, you must use a lower velocity muzzle loading primer). No need with BH 209 as it can be shot hundreds of times and has more energy and takes standard 209 primers. 120 gr BH 209 is equivalent to 150 gr 777.

My TC encore with 110 BH 209 and the Barnes Spitfire took a buck two weeks ago at 235 yards.

If I could have used BH209 I would have!
I've had lots of trouble trying to import the cleaning gear which is very frustrating.
I just need to hope that the Alliant Black MZ and Hornady pills work well together or I'm in trouble!
Cabelas and similar business won't even ship Bore Butter, breach plug grease etc. to me so I'm likely going to have to make do with household items to do the job.

If I could have used BH209 I would have!
I've had lots of trouble trying to import the cleaning gear which is very frustrating.
I just need to hope that the Alliant Black MZ and Hornady pills work well together or I'm in trouble!
Cabelas and similar business won't even ship Bore Butter, breach plug grease etc. to me so I'm likely going to have to make do with household items to do the job.

I'm certain that you can find anti-seize and you can use that on your breech plug threads. I have to believe they sell and run chain saws there too. Get yourself a gallon (liter) of bar chain oil. Use that for both the inside and outside of the rifle. Bar chain oil is very thick and will adhere to anything and remain there. Its a given that it'll prevent corrosion, both outside and inside. It'll take you a little longer to clean the oil from the rifle before shooting but, it'll work. I've never been that far across the pond but, it would surprise me if you couldn't find those.

OK, here is the latest info on MZ cleaning and use.

1. Requires absolutely dry bore each and every shot. IF you use a semi wet patch to swab between shots, follow with a dry patch.

2. MZ requires about a 1/2 inch compression on the powder load. All users have found that MZ needs heavy compression.

3. MZ cleans with soap and water or any normal gun cleaning solvent. However, no bore butter and remember Rule #1 applies.

4. Standard load for 50 caliber is between 90 and 120 grains where it tops out and with a 300 gr bullet that is around 1870-1900 FPS or so. Normal variance is 25-30 FPS.

5. That means you can go to any auto parts and buy anti-seize and then local normal cleaining solvents IF soap and water does not do it. For example Hoppes #9

6. Use a small drill bit to clean the breech flash hole after soaking. MZ fires with a #11 cap but take no chances.

As for extra tools. I would be an extended muzzleloading range rod that allows easier cleaning. I would also get the Spin Jag for TCs, (go to the Spin Jag website and order).. You will need a palm saver for the normal loading rod as you have to use heavy compression on the powder and it sure saves your palm. You can buy them or get a 2" round knob from a hardware and drill a hole to fit the ramrod. I would make sure the end of my short starter will fit the bullet very close and not hit the tip, or just buy one for the pointed bullets common now.

As you are stuck with one powder and one bullet, you have another issue. The Hornady is a naked bullet that might fit tight or loose in your gun. Remember TCs tend to run tight. Plus you will normally find a variance in the bullets as they come out of the package.

Measure the diameters and start with the smallest and try to seat it all the way down. If it falls in, then go to the next bigger and retry. You want a slightly tight fit to not allow it to fall, but slides down easily with a ramrod.

IF they are all too small and fall in, use a large file or wood rasp to put a rough knurl around one bullet and try again.

IF they are too large, then you can easily resize them to your needed diameter. Lee sells a sizing die in .005 increments for $20 that a lot of guys use.

The LR muzzle loaders are using those techniques to ensure uniform bullet fit and it works very well.

Good luck

OK, here is the latest info on MZ cleaning and use.

1. Requires absolutely dry bore each and every shot. IF you use a semi wet patch to swab between shots, follow with a dry patch.

2. MZ requires about a 1/2 inch compression on the powder load. All users have found that MZ needs heavy compression.

3. MZ cleans with soap and water or any normal gun cleaning solvent. However, no bore butter and remember Rule #1 applies.

4. Standard load for 50 caliber is between 90 and 120 grains where it tops out and with a 300 gr bullet that is around 1870-1900 FPS or so. Normal variance is 25-30 FPS.

5. That means you can go to any auto parts and buy anti-seize and then local normal cleaining solvents IF soap and water does not do it. For example Hoppes #9

6. Use a small drill bit to clean the breech flash hole after soaking. MZ fires with a #11 cap but take no chances.

As for extra tools. I would be an extended muzzleloading range rod that allows easier cleaning. I would also get the Spin Jag for TCs, (go to the Spin Jag website and order).. You will need a palm saver for the normal loading rod as you have to use heavy compression on the powder and it sure saves your palm. You can buy them or get a 2" round knob from a hardware and drill a hole to fit the ramrod. I would make sure the end of my short starter will fit the bullet very close and not hit the tip, or just buy one for the pointed bullets common now.

As you are stuck with one powder and one bullet, you have another issue. The Hornady is a naked bullet that might fit tight or loose in your gun. Remember TCs tend to run tight. Plus you will normally find a variance in the bullets as they come out of the package.

Measure the diameters and start with the smallest and try to seat it all the way down. If it falls in, then go to the next bigger and retry. You want a slightly tight fit to not allow it to fall, but slides down easily with a ramrod.

IF they are all too small and fall in, use a large file or wood rasp to put a rough knurl around one bullet and try again.

IF they are too large, then you can easily resize them to your needed diameter. Lee sells a sizing die in .005 increments for $20 that a lot of guys use.

The LR muzzle loaders are using those techniques to ensure uniform bullet fit and it works very well.

Good luck

Awesome info mate, cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts